Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Background [this para can be skipped!]

My wife's first love suffers from a temperamental EML.
Initially this seems to have been caused by a defective heater in the front O2 sensor, which I replaced. I noticed oil in the connector and cleaned this as well. After a brief period of success the problem re-appeared and the O2 sensor was fingered again. So after finding deposits on the exhaust outlet [which may have come from a failed cat] I changed the cat. All was well for a time then the problem reappeared. After reading advice on this board I checked for oil leak from cam mag sensor and within wiring loom and again at O2 connector - some oil again at connector so cleaned it again, stopped any oil wicking with cotton around wiring but consider oil in connector probably gets in past the ring seal, and comes from aerosol discharge from transmission filler tube, so have lagged the connector with duct tape. But the EML triggers persist.

Present situation

My OBD2 scan tool in data stream mode shows that the P0130 [front O2 sensor voltage] code is triggering at about .45v whilst the engine is warming up. I believe that this should be .4v max. and if it was, there would be no problem. The operation of the sensor itself seems fine with readings above .5v, never below .45v, and rising to a steady 1.0v when at full operating temperature. So my query at the moment boils down to this - why is the EML triggering at .45v???? Is there a problem in the EMU??

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
94,091 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Premium Member
11,287 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

What's a EML?

·
94,091 Posts

·
AND MABEL
14,206 Posts
Hi, welcome from Barrhead, Scotland. :smile:
Sorry I can't help you with your problem, but one of the 170 guys surely will.

·
Premium Member
11,246 Posts
Hi and welcome from the UK Midlands! :)

I can't help you with the issue you've described, but hopefully someone will be along shortly with some useful advice for you.

·
94,091 Posts
I think most of us call it..."That stupid light is on again'
Probably CEL ' Check Engine Light'

·
Premium Member
4,595 Posts
Isn't the front sensor supposed to fluctuate 0.2-0.8V once per sec?

I would find the source of the oil first!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've seen various figures for the voltages at which the EML lights up and this would seem to be a critical issue. Can you remember the source for your .2-.8?. I don't believe this is correct as the EML seems to be tripping on the low side - it's seems perfectly happy at 1.0V
I'm working on tracing the oil leak, taking note of posters here who reckon it's wicking along the wires. But in any case this does not seem to be affecting the performance of the sensor, which is reporting sensible readings i.e. no indication of electrical shorts.
On a trial run today I reset before starting out and drove 30 miles with no problem. However after cooling down and restarting for the return journey the EML tripped after the engine had reached full operating temp. and this seems to be a consistent behaviour i.e. no problem if reset before the journey but not happy for the next journey.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
EML Solution

My problems with the eml now seem to have been resolved.
The local MB main dealer was asked to provide a solution, and after half an hour's investigation said that the following was needed:
Replace EMU, replace wiring loom, renew camshaft mag sensor seal, renew O2 sensor. The estimate was £2000+.
As the list price of the car is £2800 this did not seem sensible, so I continued to monitor OBDII data through about 5 eml triggers - all caused by front O2 sensor [i.e.code 130]. As explained previously this sensor seemed to be performing reasonably although I had no experience of what the output should really look like. Eventually the same O2 sensor threw a code 135 - heater failure, which meant I could take it back to the supplier who had sold it a couple of months earlier.
The voltages produced by the latest sensor have a very different look about them i.e. are much more variable. And the car has now completed many short and 2 long journeys with no further problem:smile:. So problem solved.
So the original replacement sensor was defective, and no expensive MB-recommended repairs are necessary:surprise:!!!!!!!
My thanks to those who showed an interest.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts