Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,361 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
6,030 Posts
These cars are pretty damn smart, they know when it's too hot to have the top down...like me today, car read 100* and I had the top down. Up on the way home--was too hot !!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry, yes the motor runs, the windows go down and the trunk opens.... but then it stops....

if its below 90 degrees everything works...

and i agree the one guy,these cars are smart! ... its usually too hot but at night it would be nice if the top would go down

·
Registered
130 Posts
Have you looked in the front, upper portion of the trunk on both sides for leaked oil? The symptoms you offered are consistent with leaky top cylinders.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The only things that change with the temperature are the parts of the roof system (expansion) and the viscosity of the hydraulic fluid. You are not getting enough pressure in the cylinders to overcome the drag of the top. So it is likely that you are low on fluid, or one or more of the cylinders is not getting enough pressure (likely leak). One of my cylinders only leaks when it is cold (around 40-50 degrees . Not prime top down weather fortunately.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
My top works all year , but not when it's over 90 degrees

1998 slk kompressor

Please help!
Several members have the same problem. Some have resolved it by greasing the roof points:
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-general-discussion/66978-roof-needs-help-open-when-weather-really-hot.html#post674890
Check this thread, it seems to have all the info you might want to try for right now:
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-general-discussion/66978-roof-needs-help-open-when-weather-really-hot.html

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have seen no leaking cylinders, but i will check again, i would think if they were leaking i would have trouble year around,,,,but this is all about temperature...

i will grease all the moving parts this weekend and see how it goes... thanks guys, any other help will be appreciated...

we love this car, after getting the inside plastic dyed, it almost looks like the day it rolled off the showroom floor....

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
This link has lots of good info.
If your reservoir level is not dropping, then the perimeter seals are not failed; that is good news.

But I've followed everyone here into thinking about hydraulic failure. Chicky got the info we needed; the trunk opens, and then everything stops.
So the pump is OK, but the roof is failing to release (or be seen to release) from the windscreen.
Firstly, it may be that the end-of-travel switch in the boot mechanism is not reporting the boot open
Top centre of the roof, above the dome light, there is a cover over the manual release for the roof locks. Put "the allen key" in there, and confirm it turns at least a bit when the trunk has finished opening. (You may wish to help it!) This undoes the locks, and so should report the switches clear, at which point the pump will drive the roof cylinders to fold the roof into the boot. Either it doesn't unlock, or it doesn't report that it has unlocked on both sides.

If the allen key doesn't move at all, the boot switch is failed, and the boot has not finished its cycle.
If teh allen key twitches, but needs help, the tolerance for teh latches are set for a cold day,and will need reworking for a warmer day.
If the allen key moves all the way, but the roof fails to open, the two roof latch switches need checking to confirm they are reporting the roof is unlatched, ready to open.
HTH,
Anon

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
46 Posts
I had the same problem with my roof a couple of years ago - it failed only in high temperatures. There are in fact three limit switches in the roof and they are known to cause problems. Mercedes were aware of this issue and modified the roof switch specification; the plunger of the switch is protected by a rubber 'boot' which swelled in hot weather, jamming the switch. (see attached Mercedes advisory note). A new spec switch was specified with a silicone 'boot'. There are two types of switch involved - at the top of the windscreen and in the roof itself. New part nos are: A170 820 07 10 (about £39) and A170 820 09 10. (about 15) Fitting these solved my problem immediately. Total cost of labour and parts from my indy was £257.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took my headliner off and removed those clear rubber boots for the micro switches and my top is working perfect on hot days now, I ask my mercedes dealer about this and they had no idea. I called one in another city and they had a guy that had been there 30 years and he confirmed this should work....thanks guys!!!

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
I took my headliner off and removed those clear rubber boots for the micro switches and my top is working perfect on hot days now, I ask my mercedes dealer about this and they had no idea. I called one in another city and they had a guy that had been there 30 years and he confirmed this should work....thanks guys!!!
The only comment about removing the boots completely is that this is a fair-weather solution; the boots are to stop the rainwater (and any other fluid like car-washing) getting into the switches.
So even if you ease the boot around the switch pin so the boot does not have to move to allow the pin to activate the switch, then the boot will continue to protect the switch again most rain issues.
And be sure to use silicon grease for any lubrication near the rubber boot; a petroleum grease will be absorbed into the rubber, and make it thicker and less flexible.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.