Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SLK 230 2004

Was getting funny odor in cabin. Replaced filter and smell vanished.

The replacement is similar to this helpful post for the 350, but different enough to make another post.

I replaced filter with this Bosch Charcoal Air filter

Tools needed:

Phillips screwdriver

Instructions:

1. Go to passenger side
2011-07-03 16.10.15.jpg

2. Locate the back panel with several holes

2011-07-03 16.12.24.jpg

3. Locate and unscrew the right screw

2011-07-03 16.10.38.jpg

4. Then the left...

2011-07-03 16.11.56.jpg

5. Gently let the front panel swing down

2011-07-03 16.15.03.jpg

Locate the cabin filter cover on the left. (it is a slim rectangle closest to center console) Slide the front clip off towards you and the back clip off away from you. Be sure to hold the cover when removing the 2nd clip.

2011-07-03 16.15.27.jpg

Remove cover and gently guide/ pull the filter out.

2011-07-03 16.16.12.jpg

Remove air filter noting its position. Replace with compatible filter

2011-07-03 16.16.53.jpg

Installation is reverse of removal.

Enjoy.

Feel free to ask questions or give feedback.

·
Registered
5 Posts
this rocks cause my cabin smells like L.A. and sweat so I gotta change this up... Thanks for the post this rocks. LMAO at the dealer here in l.a. they wanted 200 to do this!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just did this last night, twice actually: I bought a new active charcoal filter from autopartsway.com (excellent experience btw) for mine. So I pulled mine out and it actually looked pretty clean! I put the new one in anyway, then I went over to my brothers `98 230....pulled it out and the filter came out completely filled with leaves and debris. I couldn't believe the amount of crap in there! So I put my old one in his car.
Pretty simple job, took about 20 minutes to do both cars....Wosrt part is wrestling the new filter back up into the slot.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The instructions were great and very helpful. To make the job a little easier I used a mirror on the passenger floorboard and a drop light. It allowed me to see and remove the two cover screws while just kneeling outside the passenger side door. Once the screws were removed I lowered the cover and unhooked it from the front of the floorboard. It came out fairly easy and gave a little more room to get the filter in and out. Space is limited and takes a little maneuvering to get the filter in. If you leave the cover hooked on you risk tearing the insulation material attached to it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the great feedback. Unfortunately I don't have this ride anymore, hence the lack of posts, but I have been shopping craigslist for my next slk.

For those who are a bit timid about fixing things yourself. I know how you feel. I started out with no experience but the ignition switch was locked. I refused to pay the $1200 the dealer wanted so this led to my first car repair. I stumbled through it (and lost the pics on my android, hence no tutorial) but after figuring it out, using the web all other repairs (horn, filter, brake light switch etc) came easily and actually were a lot of fun.

So bottom line, is if you are new and never thought of yourself as the mechanic type, just take a deep breath and realize you are not disarming a bomb. As long as you Use safety measures like disconnecting the battery and learn how to raise the vehicle using jacks/lifts etc. Otherwise, just have fun. Take your time and take pictures of every part as you remove them so you leave yourself a safety map so worst case scenario you just put the part back the way it was. You will soon realize that Once you get the first little repair done it will come naturally.

This is what I wish someone would have told me in the middle of my first repair... when I was staring at the interior completely stripped of the dashboard:)

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,620 Posts
That was very helpful for me.
Thanks a lot!
I only got my slk 320 a few days ago and
I am looking forward to start “taking care” of her ..
FYI
This thread is about 5 years

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.