Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
*Registered
2005 SLK200
648 Posts
Where's it coming from?

I had the pleasure of the use of a full size garage lifting ramp to do my oil change today.

Much easier than previously when I have worked under the car on the driveway.

But......

When I got home, there is brand new fully synthetic oil steadily dripping all over my drive :crying:

Sump plug has new copper washer and has been tightened with torque wrench to correct torque, oil filter is not leaking, so where is the oil coming from?? :frown:

Back on the ramps tomorrow - I fear the worst, a gasket gone, what would be the chances??

:surprise::surprise::surprise:

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,865 Posts
I had the pleasure of the use of a full size garage lifting ramp to do my oil change today.

Much easier than previously when I have worked under the car on the driveway.

But......

When I got home, there is brand new fully synthetic oil steadily dripping all over my drive :crying:

Sump plug has new copper washer and has been tightened with torque wrench to correct torque, oil filter is not leaking, so where is the oil coming from?? :frown:

Back on the ramps tomorrow - I fear the worst, a gasket gone, what would be the chances??

:surprise::surprise::surprise:
Did you over tighten sump bolt ?
And crack alloy sump ?
Or prob the plastic oil filter housing "o" rings has been put in wrong and become unseated / split hence oil seapage .

Or you have not tighten plastic housing to 25nm ??

·
Registered 2004 SLK200K (R171)
15 Posts
It's speculation until you get under there for a look.

It's possible the sump plug washer mating surfaces were not clean, and so it has not sealed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,865 Posts
Oil filter was also torqued correctly - there is no leak from there, thanks for the reply :wink:
If not coming from oil filter area then
Its either the sump bung ?
Or you have over filled car with oil ?
Or the oil filler cap was not put on right or not tightened ?

Without seeing car / photos its all guess work at moment .

·
*Registered
2008 SLK200
36 Posts
This procedure is for SLK 200 1.8 Kompressor UK RHD but may also apply to vehicles with similar engines

The replacement of the oil and filter element is a requirement of A and B services.

This is the sump drain method. I have used 6 litres of Mobil 1 New life 0-40w although the WIS states 5.5 litres.

Total time less than 40 mins

1. Warm up engine to operating temperature
2. Ensure engine is off and the in park with handbrake on
3. Jack up front of vehicle and securely place on axle stands
4. Remove under engine rear cover by removing 4 screws. I also removed middle cover for ease of access giving a total of 10 screws
5. In engine bay, remove battery cover by releasing 3 butterfly catches. This will give better access to the filter housing
6. Remove oil filler cap
7. Remove dip stick
8. Locate engine oil drain plug under car and using 13mm socket remove same, catching oil into suitable container
9.Note that the drain plug has a copper washer which should be replaced when assembling
10 In engine bay,wrap a suitable cloth around base of filter to catch drips.
11. Using a 27mm socket unscrew the filter top anti clock wise
12. Withdraw the top upwards complete with old filter
13. Allow all old oil to drain away and then replace sump plug with new copper washer.
14.Slide the old filter off the filter top.
15. Note the position of the 3 rubber sealing rings on the filter
16. Carefully replace the rubber rings and coat with new oil. DO NOT DAMAGE THE NEW RINGS
17. Insert new filter and screw top into filter housing. This many need slight pressure to seat the lower seal in the base of the body
18. Screw the top in clockwise and tighten to 25Nm. Remove any old oil spill cloths.
19.Replace battery cover
20. fill engine with new oil
21. Start engine and and check for leaks top and bottom.
22. Replace underside panels
23. Lower vehicle to ground. Check oil level and add as required.
24. fully road test and recheck for leaks
PERFECT ,6 LITRES OUT 6 IN . USING A LIDL extractor 10 mins and all the oil was extracted . Thanks

Attachments

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.