Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This procedure is for SLK 200 1.8 Kompressor UK RHD but may also apply to vehicles with similar engines

The replacement of the oil and filter element is a requirement of A and B services.

This is the sump drain method. I have used 6 litres of Mobil 1 New life 0-40w although the WIS states 5.5 litres.

Total time less than 40 mins

1. Warm up engine to operating temperature
2. Ensure engine is off and the in park with handbrake on
3. Jack up front of vehicle and securely place on axle stands
4. Remove under engine rear cover by removing 4 screws. I also removed middle cover for ease of access giving a total of 10 screws
5. In engine bay, remove battery cover by releasing 3 butterfly catches. This will give better access to the filter housing
6. Remove oil filler cap
7. Remove dip stick
8. Locate engine oil drain plug under car and using 13mm socket remove same, catching oil into suitable container
9.Note that the drain plug has a copper washer which should be replaced when assembling
10 In engine bay,wrap a suitable cloth around base of filter to catch drips.
11. Using a 27mm socket unscrew the filter top anti clock wise
12. Withdraw the top upwards complete with old filter
13. Allow all old oil to drain away and then replace sump plug with new copper washer.
14.Slide the old filter off the filter top.
15. Note the position of the 3 rubber sealing rings on the filter
16. Carefully replace the rubber rings and coat with new oil. DO NOT DAMAGE THE NEW RINGS
17. Insert new filter and screw top into filter housing. This many need slight pressure to seat the lower seal in the base of the body
18. Screw the top in clockwise and tighten to 25Nm. Remove any old oil spill cloths.
19.Replace battery cover
20. fill engine with new oil
21. Start engine and and check for leaks top and bottom.
22. Replace underside panels
23. Lower vehicle to ground. Check oil level and add as required.
24. fully road test and recheck for leaks

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks

Very good description of a complete oil change, very helpful, thanks :)

I used a genuine Mercedes oil filter/"o" rings. Left it draining overnight to fully drain. I used Mobile 1. 0-40w 6 Litres.
very pleased with a good job.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200 ; DAS/STAR Reg'd Owner
285 Posts
Offtopic Hi! Did you change the fuel hose with a metal braided fuel hose?

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200 ; DAS/STAR Reg'd Owner
285 Posts
Thanks,

Mine is A1714700175 maybe your is different because RHD...

What is the total length of yours?

I'm thinking about changing, they are probably the same but on RHD it is better shielded, probably because it may touch on something…

I really like the braided fuel hose. :)

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,808 Posts
Note not req to remove battery cover as its not really in the way to remove oil filter cartridge !
Use a 3/8 4 inch extension bar .

Note leave sump bung out then remove oil filter cartridge as then more oil will drain out of sump !
Then refit sump bung .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Different Engine Bay

Hello, need to carry out a service B on my mums SLK 200K, however her engine looks slightly different to this. It has a silver bit of metal on the top with Mercedes-Benz lettering rather than the badge. Also has an electronic dipstick which has to be controlled through the on board computer and steering wheel controls. I believe its the 163BHP version (2004/04).

Just wondering if it would be the same technique as this since I need to buy oil and filters for it too, would they differ?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,293 Posts
Benz200,

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’.

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) - capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread, make a post, click on the ‘paper clip’ or go to ‘advanced’ and then ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’!
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Benz 200
There are some differences between LHD and RHD cars, but the engines are essentially the same. The differences are mainly to accommodate the position of the steering wheel and brake master cylinder.
The engine cover is cosmetic and as you say some earlier models did have the name and logo on the cover.
I would suggest you check the filter details with the dealer, but I think they have the same throughout the 200K range.
As far as the dip stick is concerned, you should be able to to drain the old oil and put the correct amount of new oil back in. You should then be able to check the level in your usual manner.
It is a very easy job to do.
Hope it goes well.
John

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's a RHD UK car. I knew they changed the 200 engine in 2008 for the same one that went in the C class, but yes I will have a route around and find out where the filter is before I go and buy one.

Thanks

·
Founding Member 2006
108,293 Posts
Benz-200-Kompressor,

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’.

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) - capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread, make a post, click on the ‘paper clip’ or go to ‘advanced’ and then ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’!
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member

·
**Premium Member 2004 SLK350
5,618 Posts
Hi!
Just got a slk 171 1.8l rhd, coming from a smart roadster. You think is possible to extract the oil from the dip stick like on the smart with a Pela 3000 oil extractor? Is a good idea or no?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes it is possible to use an extractor such as the Pela 3000. If you search previous posts you will see the subject is well covered.
As to the question if it is a good idea, will depend if you think it gets all of the old oil out. I considered this method but decided against it. Whilst the car was jacked up and allowing it to drain the oil, it was an excellent opportunity to check the brakes, suspension and underside.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for the great pictures and procedure on how to carry out the oil change so helpful !!!
You are a Star
Thanks Phil Sissons South Africa ( Philt)

·
Registered
8 Posts
oil sump plug

This procedure is for SLK 200 1.8 Kompressor UK RHD but may also apply to vehicles with similar engines

The replacement of the oil and filter element is a requirement of A and B services.

This is the sump drain method. I have used 6 litres of Mobil 1 New life 0-40w although the WIS states 5.5 litres.

Total time less than 40 mins

1. Warm up engine to operating temperature
2. Ensure engine is off and the in park with handbrake on
3. Jack up front of vehicle and securely place on axle stands
4. Remove under engine rear cover by removing 4 screws. I also removed middle cover for ease of access giving a total of 10 screws
5. In engine bay, remove battery cover by releasing 3 butterfly catches. This will give better access to the filter housing
6. Remove oil filler cap
7. Remove dip stick
8. Locate engine oil drain plug under car and using 13mm socket remove same, catching oil into suitable container
9.Note that the drain plug has a copper washer which should be replaced when assembling
10 In engine bay,wrap a suitable cloth around base of filter to catch drips.
11. Using a 27mm socket unscrew the filter top anti clock wise
12. Withdraw the top upwards complete with old filter
13. Allow all old oil to drain away and then replace sump plug with new copper washer.
14.Slide the old filter off the filter top.
15. Note the position of the 3 rubber sealing rings on the filter
16. Carefully replace the rubber rings and coat with new oil. DO NOT DAMAGE THE NEW RINGS
17. Insert new filter and screw top into filter housing. This many need slight pressure to seat the lower seal in the base of the body
18. Screw the top in clockwise and tighten to 25Nm. Remove any old oil spill cloths.
19.Replace battery cover
20. fill engine with new oil
21. Start engine and and check for leaks top and bottom.
22. Replace underside panels
23. Lower vehicle to ground. Check oil level and add as required.
24. fully road test and recheck for leaks
thanks a million johnnyg

·
*Registered
2006 SLK200
633 Posts
Great Job

Great Job, do you know how to change the spark plugs? I have the same engine as you and if you could illustrate how to do that it would much appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
sump oil plug

Great Job, do you know how to change the spark plugs? I have the same engine as you and if you could illustrate how to do that it would much appreciated.
thanks for the info beppi, great pictures, sorry haven't got round to plugs yet, if you find the info and pictures i'd be greatful if you posted them on to me.

cheers clay.

·
Registered 2004 SLK200K (R171)
15 Posts
Mann Vs Bosch filter comparison

I made use of this DIY last weekend to flush and change oil in our R171-200K.
As I was flushing, I bought both filters Eurocarparts held in stock.
Mann : £5.12
Bosch : £5.67
(with everyday 20% discounts)

I didn't bother with the cheapest Crosland filter, as I heard this was more of a marketing/branding name nowadays.

I elected to fit the Bosch filter with the fresh oil.
Note the solid filter end-cap, felt seal, and larger number of pleats = more filter surface area.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.