Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.
2007 SLK 200 has a top end tap on start up from cold. The tap goes away after around 90 seconds and only lasts a couple of seconds when started from warm. Normal running is silky smooth and quiet. Now I know what you are all thinking but this is a list of (expensive) MB parts I have already fitted to an engine that's only done 35K !!!!

Camshaft adjusters
Timing Chain (stretched by half a link at only 35K)
Timing chain tensioner
16 lash adjusters/tappets
16 roller rockers.

I am at a loss ?

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
When you fitted the new tensioner, did you assemble it correctly? I believe that if incorrectly assembled, the oil drains out quickly allowing the rail to hit the housing a few times before picking up pressure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tensioner is hydraulic as you say but cannot be dis assembled. It's basically plug and play a new one.

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
OK - things might have changed. I am reading some old notes where the assembly was critical. Maybe they made it a complete unit due to this. Beyond chain tensioner, sorry, I have nothing else!

·
Registered
129 Posts
OK.
2007 SLK 200 has a top end tap on start up from cold. The tap goes away after around 90 seconds and only lasts a couple of seconds when started from warm. Normal running is silky smooth and quiet. Now I know what you are all thinking but this is a list of (expensive) MB parts I have already fitted to an engine that's only done 35K !!!!

Camshaft adjusters
Timing Chain (stretched by half a link at only 35K)
Timing chain tensioner
16 lash adjusters/tappets
16 roller rockers.

I am at a loss ?
Hi,

I think you are among the silent many !!! I have just purchased a 2004 R171 SLK 200 K with 55k mls. One owner well serviced, just the same symptoms as yours. I have spoken to a Merc agent in the UK and described my symptoms and he referred to the Camshaft timing advance mechanism being worth checking. Do you know if this was done on yours ?

I haven't had time yet to find or study the pictures and functions of the various parts involved.

Hopefully if we all pool our resources here we can bottom this one together. Maybe by process of elimination or something.

Regards
Dennis
:tu:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guy's but if you look at my original post you will see the list of new MB parts I have already fitted including both camshaft adjusters @ £1026.

I really am starting to think I wish I had never bought the car but on the other hand I am determined to cure the problem. The only thing left is the camshafts which when measured were within tolerance?

Looks like it will be coming apart again soon and I still cannot believe the timing chain was stretched by half a link at 35K and a full service history.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It's sounds like a oil pressure issue , if its possible hook up a external pressure gauge and check the pressure on start up , monitor how long it take to come up. With everything you have done it doesn't leave much else .

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks guy's but if you look at my original post you will see the list of new MB parts I have already fitted including both camshaft adjusters @ £1026.

I really am starting to think I wish I had never bought the car but on the other hand I am determined to cure the problem. The only thing left is the camshafts which when measured were within tolerance?

Looks like it will be coming apart again soon and I still cannot believe the timing chain was stretched by half a link at 35K and a full service history.

Hi, Just a few thoughts.
Dunlop - I see on your original opening thread you said 90 seconds for the sound to disappear. This is a heck of a long time - a full 1 1/2 minutes - and I feel this is unlikely to be something that is pressure fed from the main oil pump, otherwise all the mainbearings and big ends would be worn out by now.

I am not 100% certain but I think the Kompressor has its own oil supply which may be "splash" lubrication. If the oil level were low then the vanes in the supercharger could be rattling until they get an adequate coating of oil. I think it is relatively easy to check by means of a "level plug", but is a special Merc oil.

Another point was: The pdf document that Curro has linked showing the procedure for camshaft rattling.
I notice that (A) a complaint of 2 seconds rattle was no cause for complaint and was caused by too much locking clearance. and (B) that the modified parts had coloured markings. Q> Were the modified ones identified and fitted. You could check on the invoice ?

Parts ordering notes
Part no. Designation Quantity
A 271 050 01 71 Center bolt 2
A 271 050 09 47 Camshaft adjuster, intake, i Part is marked with green color coding 1
A 271 050 10 47 Camshaft adjuster, outlet, i Part is marked with green color coding 1

:|

Regards

Dennis

·
Registered
129 Posts

Personally I don't think I would be terribly alarmed at the Half a link from new. When you consider the total length of the chain and the number links (anybody know how many ?). Given the fact that chains links have to be made with a generous clearance, to flex and change rapidly and fully from day one, the cumulative extra length of half a link may be only the extra clearance after "Running In".

It should be possible to do some quick maths when you have the number and pitch of the links to see if this is feasible or not.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again for the replies.

I agree about the oil pressure not being the issue it is more like there is some sort of drain back via a faulty check valve?

The adjusters are dated 2013 so I assume they are the modified ones and I say this because the 2006 ones are colour coded green so my logic dictates that any made after that would also have be modified.

I have had the cam cover off again this morning just to satisfy my self that none of the new lifters have gone bad, also checked the cam lobes again (getting paranoid LOL)
I rotated the engine probably 10 times and when I came to start it the rattle lasted maybe only 1 or 2 seconds

Going to have a look at the supercharger oil level

Watch this space

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks again for the replies.

I agree about the oil pressure not being the issue it is more like there is some sort of drain back via a faulty check valve?

The adjusters are dated 2013 so I assume they are the modified ones and I say this because the 2006 ones are colour coded green so my logic dictates that any made after that would also have be modified.

I have had the cam cover off again this morning just to satisfy my self that none of the new lifters have gone bad, also checked the cam lobes again (getting paranoid LOL)
I rotated the engine probably 10 times and when I came to start it the rattle lasted maybe only 1 or 2 seconds

Going to have a look at the supercharger oil level

Watch this space
I just found this tread while I was searching.
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-ge...managed-cure-engine-rattle-start-up-200k.html

Don't know if its any help or if anyone else has tried it ?? :|

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
5,268 Posts
I have the same problems on my slk, but on mine the noise is about 5-8 seconds after cold start. My car has 113k now. I have bought a second car a few days ago a C class w203 c200 kpmpresor, same engine m271 163 hp like my slk and this one has no noise so far ( 81k on the clock ). I have a friend with a ml350 and the car sounds like a tractor on cold start...

ps
what oil/grade have you been using on your slk?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Banned
804 Posts
I'm at a loss exactly why you replaced the items in your list?

If it was due to some engine rattles on start up or even during running, you possibly made a big mistake. In fact, from your post, it's obvious the fix didn't work. BTW, who advised you to do this repair? MB or an independent?

Lots of 4-cylinder engines are notorious for rattling and banging around on startup and even running. Usually it isn't serious, and it takes an educated ear to determine when a noise is serious or not.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
3,755 Posts
could you be in the unlucky position of fitting a faulty new lifter, it does and can happen. its the worst thing as you spend a lot of time trying everything else due to the fact you have fitted new parts. odd it only made the noise for one or two seconds after you turned it over ten times as that does sound that the offending item was then pre primed with oil before start up

·
Registered
129 Posts
Next oil change I think the sump is coming off. :frown:

I have tried 0-30 5-40 10-40-15-40 and 20-50 the latter being the most effective.

Kompressor is fine, full of clean oil and I even ran the motor without the serpentine belt on to prove.
Managed to find this link of an oil pump picture.

OIL PUMP & TIMING CHAIN Mercedes Benz SLK Class Convertible SLK200Kompressor R17 | eBay

It looks as though the pumping gears (generating the pressure) are not submerged in the oil sump therefore will have to "suck" up through the strainer first to fill any cavity before it can generate oil pressure. Interesting !! Very important then that residual oil within this cavity does not drain away !!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.