Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slk 200 r171 turbo project

32K views 39 replies 22 participants last post by  jbanks15 
#1 ·
After my 5 year involvement with the ongoing improvement of my car and from the moment I decided to keep it in my possession, it was time for something new and radical. After reaching the limit of the factory setup with an improved supercharger Eaton M45 with M271 engine producing hopefully 206 whp (~ 230bhp ) which is a result of many hours in searching and tuning together with a big waste of money with extremely high costs (3 ecu programmers -3 performance exhausts -4 melted catalysts- 3 broken superchagers -2 gearboxes-2 intercoolers and many others, it was time to start the turbo project.
Any other movement for tuning beyond the classical (ecu remap-pulley performance exhaust-intercooler) seemed to most, including myself, risky because there was nothing similar to this engine in the past. There were rumored 1-2 projects which did not succeed and never work completely. The risk was taken by my engineers called Tselikos Bros, who have a MB workshop in Athens. After the necessary volumetric measurements, they made the exhaust manifold where the turbine was placed with external wastegate + downpipe with the rest of the exhaust in the end(HJS 200cpsi catalyst-mid silencer-rear silencers). After this, they had to deal with the "mechanical part" of the project that includes the intake manifold, injectors, supeercharger removal, oil-water circuit piping turbine e.t.c. After all this important part it was time for the necessary ecu configurations. Boost pressure was raising gradually with all checkings to avoid unpleasant consequences. Mercedes also has not the best reputation in ecu configuration and customization in general. The new Greddy Profec boost controller allows the car to run automatically at three pressure levels and this will be proved necessary later in the setup using water-methanol injection and pressure increase with the necessary tuning in internals of the engine.

Current setup:

Turbine Garrett GT2860 RS
Exhaust manifold-Downpipe-HJS catalyst
Bigger capacity fuel injectors
Intake Tubing and bigger Intercooler
Boost Controller Greddy PRofec

302hp and 38.5kgr of torque at 1bar for the beginning!
I will keep you informed about upcoming improvements. Soon there will be progress.

I have made a video to get a better taste of the project car!

Keep tuning!
Greetings from Greece,
Spiros

See less See more
1 9
#4 ·
Wow that is bald.
Congratulations.
Looking great.
I wish I had the guts to do that.

#7 ·
Yes, they have done many in the past. In general, there are many turbo projects for the 2000cc M111 engine in the world that have succeed in the past. It is much more easier than the 1800cc M271 engine. I think my car is the only one with turbo. Nowhere i have seen similar project in the net. If anyone have seen something, i will be glad to notify me. :smile:

#12 ·
Wow i have seen your car rolling around (i live in Ano Glyfada) and i knew it was fast, but never thought it would be turbo. I've been looking to turbocharge my car but i haven't seen anything.So as a fellow Greek i have some questions for you

Fisrt how much did your setup cost?

Secondly how much time do you ran boost on your car?

Third do you plan on upgrading your internals or do you think the car is safe with the stock block

And lastly i need the name and location of your tuning shop

Respect mono paixtara mou den iparxei to slk sou!!!

#13 ·
Hello neighbour,

I think i know who you are! Might the guy with the black one. We had tried chasing each other around. Haha

Project cost may vary from car to car because of the stages that customer may wants. Approximately 5k+. I think that the best thing you have to do is to call at the workshop and have a talk with Stefanos.

Turbo spools in my car over 7000 km.

I will upgrade the internals of the engine in the future together with boost increase, catalyst removal and water methanol injection installation. We are testing engine's limits and reliability for the moment so this is the reason we have kept stock internals. There is no similar project in the past anywhere so we have no record data.

Afoi Tselikou @ Keratea
www.mercedes-afoitselikou.gr

Cheers
Spiros

#14 ·
Haha yes indeed my silk is the black one (that being said we have a lot of slk's around here) and I had tried to chase YOU (your cars too fast for mine :crying: )

I am going to call your shop the coming week to get a quote!!

Have you upgraded your clutch too, or do you run the stock one??

Also if you are interested we could have a friendly "run" against my e92 just to see how the cars stuck up!!!

Thanks for the quick reply, cheers and keep up the good work!

#27 ·
Thanks for the posts on your project Spiros very interesting.

Sorry to high jack the thread but can you give a bit more information on fitting this to your R171 SLK55 bumper please. I have been considering a rear diffuser for a long time, this update for only about £80 for the part looks superb.

Does it need to be painted, it looks not? Does it just mount over the top or is it cut out part of the old and replace? How much trimming of the new part is required? Any other info?

Cheers.

#19 ·
Hello!
We spent over a year and around 20000km testing what the M271 engine is capable of out of its limits. The result was very impressive and we had no problems during its testing and no damages inside when removed the engine from the car and opened it.
I was ready to go further and make some upgrades that were necessary in case i would like to increase the horsepower.
We rebuild the engine block and the head using forged pistons, rods and many other parts.

We spent approx. 2 months for the necessary manufacturing and assembly. After the success of this part i had to break the rebuilded engine in for 2000km.

My stock dual-mass flywheel and clutch would be unable to handle the increased torque so i had to replace them with a custom made single-mass aluminum flywheel and a 6 puck sprung hub racing clutch by sachs performance.

We have also installed a water/methanol kit by AEM electronics.

Unfortunately, stock ECU can not manage the increase of the boost so we have a limit of 1.2bar with 1.4bar overboost for the time being. The dyno below shows some specs with a 6000rpm limiter. We are searching for the best solution in aftermarket ECUs in case we want to reach the expected performance that the car is now capable of, over 380hp. More updates soon...

View image: image

Cheers,
Spiros

#28 ·
Hello,

We are off-topic so it would be appreciated if the mods will create a new thread with the related posts.

Diffuser needs to be cut in both sides but first you have to put it on exactly in the center and measure where you have to cut very very carefully. Its better to cut it little by little, then put it on again and again for testing. Furthermore, you have to cut the clips that exist around and sharpen it.
My first part (non painted) was glued with a high quality glue but this wasnt enough. One year later, it got unstuck so i had to replace it because exhaust was melt it during my ride. I bought a brand new part and made the same cuts but i also add 6 screws and mount it on the bumper. I also covered the signs of the screws with stucco and then painted it. Its a tricky mod, not plug n play.

#31 ·
After my 5 year involvement with the ongoing improvement of my car and from the moment I decided to keep it in my possession, it was time for something new and radical. After reaching the limit of the factory setup with an improved supercharger Eaton M45 with M271 engine producing hopefully 206 whp (~ 230bhp ) which is a result of many hours in searching and tuning together with a big waste of money with extremely high costs (3 ecu programmers -3 performance exhausts -4 melted catalysts- 3 broken superchagers -2 gearboxes-2 intercoolers and many others, it was time to start the turbo project.
Any other movement for tuning beyond the classical (ecu remap-pulley performance exhaust-intercooler) seemed to most, including myself, risky because there was nothing similar to this engine in the past. There were rumored 1-2 projects which did not succeed and never work completely. The risk was taken by my engineers called Tselikos Bros, who have a MB workshop in Athens. After the necessary volumetric measurements, they made the exhaust manifold where the turbine was placed with external wastegate + downpipe with the rest of the exhaust in the end(HJS 200cpsi catalyst-mid silencer-rear silencers). After this, they had to deal with the "mechanical part" of the project that includes the intake manifold, injectors, supeercharger removal, oil-water circuit piping turbine e.t.c. After all this important part it was time for the necessary ecu configurations. Boost pressure was raising gradually with all checkings to avoid unpleasant consequences. Mercedes also has not the best reputation in ecu configuration and customization in general. The new Greddy Profec boost controller allows the car to run automatically at three pressure levels and this will be proved necessary later in the setup using water-methanol injection and pressure increase with the necessary tuning in internals of the engine.

Current setup:

Turbine Garrett GT2860 RS
Exhaust manifold-Downpipe-HJS catalyst
Bigger capacity fuel injectors
Intake Tubing and bigger Intercooler
Boost Controller Greddy PRofec

302hp and 38.5kgr of torque at 1bar for the beginning!
I will keep you informed about upcoming improvements. Soon there will be progress.

I have made a video to get a better taste of the project car!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5nk69OMr-E

Keep tuning!
Greetings from Greece,
Spiros

I think I am going to fabricate a turbo kit for my r170. How were you able to obtain a flange to make the exhaust manifold? Or did you have to get it cnc'd?

What did you use to tune up to now? Any update on a better tuning solutions?

#32 ·
My exhaust engineer has its own flanges that are manufactured in CNC machine. I am sorry but i am not involved in his work and i have no further information, but i think any exhaust engineer could make it.

As i have already said, you can find my current setup at the beginning with some adds till now. Furthermore, i think that a turbo project is the best tuning solution for the increase of horsepower. The supercharger that MB used on our models R170/171 doesnt have the potential of a turbocharger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.