Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK200
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All you guys who own a SLK 200 R171 is there not suppose to be a cover on the front of the engine. The guy who sell the MB parts told me and showed me on the diagram that there is a plastic cover there. All the photos I have seen of owner's engine, that part is missing including mine since I bought it second hand. What's the story? Check out the photo with the red rectangle showing where the part is missing.

Attachments

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,232 Posts
not per epc that I can find

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,776 Posts
It doesn't come with it !
For some reason the Sport Coupe with the same engine does have it , as do I now !
I'll have a look and get you the part number tomorrow , it wasn't expensive directly from Mercedes ..if I don't get back to you , give the thread a bump , tomorrows going to be a bit hectic for me !

·
Registered 2006 SLK200
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It doesn't come with it !
For some reason the Sport Coupe with the same engine does have it , as do I now !
I'll have a look and get you the part number tomorrow , it wasn't expensive directly from Mercedes ..if I don't get back to you , give the thread a bump , tomorrows going to be a bit hectic for me !

The part number is 40 I think. Ordered one it's only about $25. Going to pick it up tomorrow, if it fits I'll post a picture, just wondering if there will be a problem. Maybe it will solve the problem of my car temperature fluctuating between 70C and 90C. the cover may keep the water warmer at the housing of the thermostat. :grin:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Cover

All you guys who own a SLK 200 R171 is there not suppose to be a cover on the front of the engine. The guy who sell the MB parts told me and showed me on the diagram that there is a plastic cover there. All the photos I have seen of owner's engine, that part is missing including mine since I bought it second hand. What's the story? Check out the photo with the red rectangle showing where the part is missing.
Certainly not one in mine
Regards
Chris

·
Registered 2006 SLK200
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys I bought one today for about $25 from the MB dealers and will take a picture tomorrow when the rain stops to post it here.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Looks good!
I believe they started to leave these off to aid visual check of leaking cam magnet seals / connectors in the front there.
I have pigtails (starter line) on mine. I wonder if they obstruct fitting of this cover?

·
Registered 2006 SLK200
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks good!
I believe they started to leave these off to aid visual check of leaking cam magnet seals / connectors in the front there.
I have pigtails (starter line) on mine. I wonder if they obstruct fitting of this cover?
What is pigtail (starter line) have you a photo? Maybe you could be more specific on the leaking cam magnet seals with a photo or something.

It comes off very easy, there is two round rubbers that fit into those two metal engine lifts, it that what they are for, to lift the engine?

·
Registered 2005 SLK200
643 Posts
Not one on mine either :grin:

Surely it's not going to make a difference to anything the engine does? Except for being aesthetically pleasing to those who choose to stand and stare at the engine compartment....>:D

·
Registered 2006 SLK200
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not one on mine either :grin:

Surely it's not going to make a difference to anything the engine does? Except for being aesthetically pleasing to those who choose to stand and stare at the engine compartment....>:D
Correct I think it just looks better, Maybe keeps that part of the engine a bit warmer, it has open slots on top of the cover, perhaps the extra heat keeps the thermostat working at optimum.

·
Registered
81 Posts
What is pigtail (starter line) have you a photo? Maybe you could be more specific on the leaking cam magnet seals with a photo or something.

It comes off very easy, there is two round rubbers that fit into those two metal engine lifts, it that what they are for, to lift the engine?
A271 150 27 33 is the starter line (picgtails) Beppi. One on each side. Just search and see.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.