Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
*Registered
2005 SLK200K
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I got the P0410 - Secondary air injection. For my model, i am trying to locate the air pump that injects the air. I cant seem to locate it. Or since this model already has a supercharger, it simply uses that air instead of a separate air pump? Most fixes i see are related to the 350 model which is naturally aspirated i think. Thanks in advance!

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,166 Posts
Hi. I got the P0410 - Secondary air injection. For my model, i am trying to locate the air pump that injects the air. I cant seem to locate it. Or since this model already has a supercharger, it simply uses that air instead of a separate air pump? Most fixes i see are related to the 350 model which is naturally aspirated i think. Thanks in advance!
The design makes use of the vacuum of the intake manifold for secondary air injection by use of switch over valve.

Attachments

·
*Registered
2005 SLK200K
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The design makes use of the vacuum of the intake manifold for secondary air injection by use of switch over valve.
Thanks! Exactly my thoughts. But I think if you have a supercharger, it wont be a vacuum but some of the high pressure output of the supercharger will be diverted to the exhaust manifold. This will push more air in and supposedly oxidize the unburnt rich morning fuel. Heats up the cat faster and reduces unburnd fuel exhaust. But if you ask me its much much more trouble than it’s worth. But thats another discussion haha.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,011 Posts
On the R170 M111 engine the SC does indeed provide the pressurized air needed for secondary air injection.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK200K
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sneaky Pete! If you can provide documentation for the air injection/exhaust gas recirculation combiation valve i would realy appreciate it! I am almost sure this part is faulty i my car. Its mentioned in the document you sent to me. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,166 Posts
Sneaky Pete! If you can provide documentation for the air injection/exhaust gas recirculation combiation valve i would realy appreciate it! I am almost sure this part is faulty i my car. Its mentioned in the document you sent to me. Thanks in advance.
Here you go. The "secondary air injection/exhaust gas recirculation combination valve"..............
Would love to see the face of the service employee when you order that....... And then ask him to repeat it.......😆

Attachments

·
*Registered
2005 SLK200K
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here you go. The "secondary air injection/exhaust gas recirculation combination valve"..............
Would love to see the face of the service employee when you order that....... And then ask him to repeat it.......😆
Haha. I think they would simply call that an EGR valve. This is partly the reason why I had such a hard time researching on the valve. Everyone just calls it the EGR valve. Some spare parts sites didnt even have an entry for secondary air injection system for this car. They bundled it with EGR system. Thanks a million mate!

·
*Registered
2005 SLK200K
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A few more updates. My first suspicion is that the valve (secondary air injection/exhaust gas recirculation combination valve ) that directs high pressure air from the SC to the exhaust is faulty. Despite the name, this model does NOT have EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) functions. The valve is purely for secondary air injection only. Anyway I thought of removing that and cleaning it, until I realized that its gonna be a whole lot of work to remove that. But luckily in this model, if you simply have a proper sized (big) Philips screw driver, you can simply remove 2 screws and that is enough to be able to remove the top of the valve housing and clean the valve!!! Photos are shown. You do not have to remove the whole thing from the car. (The photo is from google to show clarity only). Upon inspection it was dirty but it was functional. Nothing was wrong with it. So no celebrations yet. So if you want to learn an easy way to clean this valve, go see the pics.

Next I checked the vacuum lines. I had a friend start the car in the cold morning (yeah finding a bloke who will do that for you is the hardest part!) and put my finger in the vacuum line. (there are two here, the other one is not a vacuum line more on that later, the actual vacuum line is the one on top). The Air injection is only active for about 30 seconds on a cold start. NO VACUUM was detected. So pretty sure now that there was nothing wrong with the valve. Either the vacuum solenoid is broken (the one controlled by the ECU) or I have a terrible vacuum leak. I haven't checked further. I will update you when I know more. For now it might be really useful to know that its quite easy to clean the valve, just in case that is something you would need to do.

Attachments

·
*Registered
2005 SLK200K
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. I finally found the culprit. It was a cracked vacuum hose. Vacuum was very weak in the valve. I should have checked that first. I have replaced it. All other parts are ok. It was the one towards the intake manifold. It looked quite ok until I pulled it out, the end suddenly crumbled like pie crust. I dont know when the ECU will do a self test again for secondary air injection functionality. But I am pretty sure that this time I nailed it. I’ll update if otherwise.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK200K
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep. It was the vacuum hose indeed. All is well now. It has completed a secondarily air injection test With no new codes. (When the ECU decides to do this who knows, but certainly it wont do it in the cold mornings when the O2 sensor is not ready yet). Thanks for the help everyone.

Attachments

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
36,756 Posts
Great work all.

Marked 'resolved', but if it turns out not to be, just reply here and we can unmark.
That way folks see work already done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts