1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
Just joined and I am looking for Tech help
The wifes car,SLK200Kompressor R171 apart from wipers/horn not working,
Usual SRS Warning has died and I am hoping it is not terminal.
Started the car on the drive on Monday with no problems,I was checking limit switch for the roof in the boot when the car started erratic idle nearly cutting out completely on occasions (CAR IS NOW WARM) warnings and alarms all over the binnacle !
Car stopped and will not turn over, nothing,nada !!!:crying:
I have tried to communicate with the ECU using snapon solus but no communication at all
Initially I thought it was a problem with either crank position sensor or Maf
Even suspected a dodgy fuel pump to account for the rough idle until it stopped now I suspect the ECU or LOOM problem...any advice gladly received
Thanks in advance

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
105,056 Posts
From Craige Curro101:

Welcome from Madrid ..

Check all the fuses , including the ones in the end of the dash .
Try disconnecting the battery for half an hour or so .
Is the battery fairly old , it might be worth while getting it checked/changed as the Slk's are very delicate when it comes to poorly batteries ...

·
105,056 Posts
From op:

Thank you for the warm welcome, it is nice to come across such a friendly auto site.
Quick reply to your suggestions
Battery is fairly new and fully charged
All fuses checked correct
Disconnected battery cables and carried out hard reset to wipe error codes from memory by holding leads together to dissipate any residual voltage from system
Still will not turn over

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,623 Posts
Never used Solus so I don't know its capabilities sorry.

You need to have is scanned properly with SDS or equivalent.

Write down and post back your findings please!

Why were you checking the roof switch?

Any water ingress of note?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Roof will not go down due to interlock switch defect on cover inside the boot,no water ingress just not operating and indicating interlock problem

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Going to check and charge today as required
Had to disconnect rad fan as it was running full when I try to start the car
Indicating high temp warning !!

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
I am trying to understand what is really wrong…

You say:
The wifes car,SLK200Kompressor R171 apart from wipers/horn not working,
Usual SRS Warning has died and I am hoping it is not terminal.

So am I correct - nothing at all works except wipers and horn, yes?

You then went on to say, and I assume before you were left with only wipers and horn, you were fiddling with a switch when it all happened.

Now you are questiong ECU, loom and other things. Why?

Rule of diagnosis: Go back to when everything was fine and ask what triggered the fault.

On this basis, do you not think you have done something to cause a catastrophic electrical failure? Should you not be looking at all the relays/fuses etc?

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,030 Posts
Me too..

Sounds like a loom short somewhere if I read it correctly ... could also be water in the front SAM too ....

Reactions: david1

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HAL ADAMS
You have obviously misread the defect report I listed.

1. problem with horn and wipers not working
2. electric roof not operating...indicating boot interlock switch problem on display binnacle
3. SRS Defect indicated

My wife told me car was acting funny whilst driving, so before I began looking at the roof problem I started the car and let it run
Whilst trying to figure out how to get into the boot switch for the roof, the car which by this time had warmed up,began to idle irratically
and eventually cut out completely!
At this juncture I tried to restart to no avail, it will not turn over
I checked the battery with snapon battery tester and it indicated correct
I checked the key was inserted correctly and that its battery was fine also
The only thing that happens is that the radiator fan runs full speed and I have a permanent high temp indicated
I disconnected the fan to save the battery draining and let the car cool down for a pair of hours
High temp still indicating and car will still not turn over
I then connected a SNAPON SOLUS to check any defect codes listed but cannot communicate with the ECU
I can connect with gearbox,airbag etc but not the ECU

I was initially thinking that the crank position sensor or maf were playing up to cause the rough idle or even the fuel pump breaking down as I had a similar problem on my RS6 recently

As for rules of diagnostics, I think as an incorporated engineer and Scottish rally car maintenance team member I am qualified enough to "fiddle"
I dont know these cars and have never had a Mercedes before, I therefore joined in the hope that some of the site Guru's might be able to help
Every car has its own particular problems that arise again and again..usually down to some design defect flaw and the experts on forums like this are worth their weight in gold compared to some mercedes tech ( I use the term tech loosly) armed with a diagnotic computer and just changes out parts without understanding the cause

Kind Regards

·
Banned
804 Posts
Going to check and charge today as required
Had to disconnect rad fan as it was running full when I try to start the car
Indicating high temp warning !!
So the fan is running non-stop, what does the temp gauge say? I figure the fan relay is shot. The horn and wipers are likely electrical too.

If you can start the car on a daily basis, the battery and alternator are OK. A simple test with a volt meter can check both.

Like most novice troubleshooters, you jump to the most extreme cause of your problem - the ECU. Take it to MB and see what their diagnostic equipment says.

In any case, take it a step at a time. I'd try to first figure what the problem is with the roof. In fact, you should make a post totally about the roof issue, and then our roof experts will jump in. :nerd:

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,030 Posts
You'll need DAS (from a local independant or main dealer) to fully connect to some of the ECU's - the snap-on stuff can read some codes, but not all ...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys
If you fully read my replies to "suggestions" from members You will appreciate I am not a so called "novice".
I have carried out all the basic checks on everything you can reply back with.
The ECU is NOT communicating hence leading me to believe it is defective OR as mentioned in reply from SEANHUMP there is a problem with the loom.
All I am needing is an expet on this vehicle to let me know of any reaccuring problems with the ECU or LOOM on this class of vehicle and point me to the weak spot
Many Thanks

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,623 Posts
You're probably more qualified than most then. As a casual forum member I can say there aren't any pattern failures for ECU and loom, at least that have been discussed here. I think your analysis is correct, sounds like an ECU or perhaps possible CAN fault. Did solus say which CUs it couldn't reach? Or just the one it could?

The CAN wiring is centralized in the door sill.

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,512 Posts
Ok what snap on software are you running the latest 15.2 update and is it the solus pro ?

As now they are no being supported now the ( old solus )

And have you tried a diff diagnostic machine just in case it maybe your unit not reading for some strange reason as the old solus is old tech . !

Try another new diagnostic machine to read and then go from there ??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Efair

Excellent, appreciate the suggestion.Bearing in mind it is a right hand drive vehicle,what side door sill?

Kind Regards

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just to add...
I COULD communicate with everything with the exception of the engine ECU
It kept trying to communicate and repeatedly failed and started trying again and again

·
Registered 2008 SLK200
3 Posts
I realise this is 5 years after original post, but was there a conclusion to this fault?. I have exactly the same issue and it’s been diagnosed as ecu failure due to corrosion inside.
Fault occurred without warning, just stopped in traffic, engine cutout, no starter, fan started running at full speed, RAC arrived, no ecu communication, towed to garage, ecu sent for inspection/refurb if possible, returned unable to refurb due to internal corrosion, new ecu from MB installed and setup £1041 (yet to be done) hopefully it doesn’t show up other failures.

·
105,056 Posts
I realise this is 5 years after original post, but was there a conclusion to this fault?. I have exactly the same issue and it’s been diagnosed as ecu failure due to corrosion inside.
Fault occurred without warning, just stopped in traffic, engine cutout, no starter, fan started running at full speed, RAC arrived, no ecu communication, towed to garage, ecu sent for inspection/refurb if possible, returned unable to refurb due to internal corrosion, new ecu from MB installed and setup £1041 (yet to be done) hopefully it doesn’t show up other failures.
depends...who u asking? the op? he ain't been seen since:

Last seen Jun 6, 2015

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.