Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK200
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed after changing my thermostat and giving the fuel a treatment of Techron, going for a drive of about 38KM up and down hills and stop streets the fuel consumption is only 6.5 litre per 100KM. Is this normal or is it a computer error? :grin:

Attachments

·
Registered Formerly 2008 SLK200
5,141 Posts
If my sums are right, that equates to 43mpg (UK gallons), which seems very optimistic to me. On the other hand, if you're driving like Miss Daisy, then maybe it's right.

·
Registered 2006 SLK200
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If my sums are right, that equates to 43mpg (UK gallons), which seems very optimistic to me. On the other hand, if you're driving like Miss Daisy, then maybe it's right.
I am keeping to the speed limit, got a fine the other day for going 61 km per hour in a 50 km zone. 0:) What I would like to know is are those figures in the display calculated from the whole trip or just how one is driving at that moment or past minute or so?

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
1,274 Posts
What I would like to know is are those figures in the display calculated from the whole trip or just how one is driving at that moment or past minute or so?
The figures are real-time, but averaged over time and distance. On my SLK280, the "since start" page usually displays something like this: About 20mpg idling in the garage, after I start the car and while I lower the top and fiddle with the stereo. Trundling out on city streets, stuck in traffic, it typically drops into the 18 range. Out on the highway, it climbs steadily and rather quickly into the 25mpg range, then rises at a somewhat slower pace as long as I'm still cruising in the 55-75mph range. If the car has been on the road for three hours or so at those speeds, it will work up to the 32-34mpg range.

Suppose that I start the day with half a tank of fuel, and make a 180 mile trip to visit my buddy in Seattle. The scenario listed above will play out with those figures. Further suppose that when I previously filled the car, I reset the trip odometer and burned that first half-tank pootling around town with occasional stoplight drags to humiliate kids driving slammed Civics blatting noise through their fart-can mufflers. If I switch screens to the "Since Reset" screen as I enter Seattle, I will see a lower cumulative MPG figure (likely around 25) since I was probably down around 16 or less when blowing off the ricers.

So, with your smaller and more efficient engine and a restrained driving style you may well be seeing figures as high as you cited. And BTW, bummer about the ticket...that's one drawback of the metric system. You got nailed for eleven over the limit...around here, that translates to about six miles per hour. Most patrol officers won't give you a second glance for that. But when you convert it to metric, it makes the cited speed seem so much more impressive!:wink:

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
5,264 Posts
In 10k km i have a mix consumption of 9.7 l / 100km or 29.2 mpg petrol on dash board and 11.64l lpg / 100 km in 28886 km or 18054 miles.

·
Registered 2006 SLK200
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got it down to 6.2 litre per 100 kilometre on yesterday's drive, must have been the classical music I was listening too. Keep cool if you want to save fuel. :grin:

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.