Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I intend to buy an SLK 200 or 230, but I was wondering what to look for when it comes to defects.

I'm not a particular n00b when it comes to cars and I found a great inspection list in the stickies (thank you very much), but are there specific model flaws/weaknesses to be wary of?

One more thing: I'm under the impression that the SLK 200 model 2000 and up was (standard) fitted with a kompressor, but I find models from '99 advertised with kompressor (complete with 'KOMPRESSOR' on the side and red plate on the enging saying 'KOMPRESSOR' -are these posers -or was it an option?

·
Registered
60 Posts
All should be Kompressed

Wheel arches and joints prone to rusting, electrics all systems working , roof, lights, dash board warning light systems. No oil in loom at front of engine. Tyres and spare, no water in spare wheel bay and no water under the front carpets.

As much history as possible. That said if it has been serviced / not thrashed they are a good buy. Had a 2002 for 2 years with 97K now and other than service cost and a new MAF, rear tyres £500 tops.

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
427 Posts
A big issue is the hardtop hydraulics failing. Either make sure the cylinders have been rebuilt ( <$1 worth of o rings as a DIY ) or replaced (~$2400 from a dealer) recently.

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,527 Posts
The SLK's from 1997 to 2000 were offered with 2 types of 2 liter engines that were supercharged & not supercharged.
& if it says "Kompressor" across the top of the engine it is super charged.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The SLK's from 1997 to 2000 were offered with 2 types of 2 liter engines that were supercharged & not supercharged.
& if it says "Kompressor" across the top of the engine it is super charged.
I found that <2000 they were not offered in Holland standard with kompressor.
The ones offered most likely found their way in via DIY imports

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nice to know that K's were not on all models. I guess the 2.3 has enough poke without the Compressor and should get a better mpg?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,373 Posts
post the vin and we will get u the datacard

·
97,373 Posts
standby....

·
97,373 Posts
Here ya go!! early dtacards 96-2000 have very few bits of data in their datacards

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.