Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

After my recent mishap on the A12 in Essex where all communication from the front SAM unit to the ECU was lost, I am now in need of a replacement. If anyone has any leads please feel free to help, and help get the car back on it's feet for xmas, which would be nice. Part number to follow if required but essentially it's a 2005 R171 SLK Kompressor, 1st registered 03.06.05

Cheers and happy xmas!

Noel

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Hi all,

After my recent mishap on the A12 in Essex where all communication from the front SAM unit to the ECU was lost, I am now in need of a replacement. If anyone has any leads please feel free to help, and help get the car back on it's feet for xmas, which would be nice. Part number to follow if required but essentially it's a 2005 R171 SLK Kompressor, 1st registered 03.06.05

Cheers and happy xmas!

Noel
Noel,

My suggestion is to start searching breakers to see what they have. There have been a total of five front SAM units for your car. The part numbers are:

171 545 00 01
171 545 08 01
171 545 11 01
171 545 15 01
171 545 16 01

While any will work the more recent the better. The latest one will have the most updates and production improvements and in a perfect world you would find a nice used one.

Whether you go with a used one or a new one it will need to be coded to your car using Star DAS. Good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for that really useful post. Due to the brilliance of this site, I had found a previous thread which noted the numbers you quote. I have recently bought the 08 version for 70 pounds, to see where we go after fitting, then I will get it re-set for the car. Very useful for others to know, but when the car just died it was a bit of a shock and I now feel like I'll be playing Russian roulette every time I get in it. I did see the 16 version for 350, and will probably buy that if this version clears the problem.

many thanks for taking the time to help me out

Noel

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Many thanks for that really useful post. Due to the brilliance of this site, I had found a previous thread which noted the numbers you quote. I have recently bought the 08 version for 70 pounds, to see where we go after fitting, then I will get it re-set for the car. Very useful for others to know, but when the car just died it was a bit of a shock and I now feel like I'll be playing Russian roulette every time I get in it. I did see the 16 version for 350, and will probably buy that if this version clears the problem.

many thanks for taking the time to help me out

Noel
If it were me, I'd grab that 16 version and just go with that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

If it were me, I'd grab that 16 version and just go with that.
Just to upadate on this problem, I bought the '8' replacement with a view to finding out whether it would correct the problem in the cheapest way I could find, but exactly the same fault exists, with absolutely no change in symptoms, so glad I didn't get the £350 '16' in the end.
If anybody can recommend a reliable mobile mechanic who'd come out to Essex for me I'd appreciate it. Car looks like it's going nowhere very fast indeed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Testing a used SAMs unit

Any idea how to test one of these units as the one I bought was sold as working, although it clearly won't on my car.

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
What exactly are your symptoms? How do you know "communication from the front SAM unit to the ECU was lost"?

Not doubting, just curious.

The CAN wiring, in U.S. models, is under the driver's carpet, just inside the door sill. By any chance did you have any issues in that area, e.g. wreckage, water incursion, etc?

What led you to replace the SAM (vs replacing the ECU?)

·
Premium Member
10,745 Posts
Have you had the car connected to a DAS diagnostic machine ?

I'd say that at a minimum you'd need to reset the error codes present and more likely than not, record the original SAM coding and copy it to your new SAM so the features are the same...

PM sent with a great deal on a front SAM!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What exactly are your symptoms? Symptons were that the engine shut down whilst driving, all power was lost How do you know "communication from the front SAM unit to the ECU was lost"? Independent Mercedes technician diagnosis after plugging up to the Star software (not my area of expertise as you've gathered)

The CAN wiring, in U.S. models, is under the driver's carpet, just inside the door sill. By any chance did you have any issues in that area, e.g. wreckage, water incursion, etc?No water ingress or previous issues in that area

Advice from already mentioned technician Many thanks for the help and expertise by the way.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you had the car connected to a DAS diagnostic machine ? Yes - see screenshot of error codes ORIGINALLY found on a non-Mercedes diagnostic after the breakdown. Independent technician has not given me a readout of error codes found on his two hour visit although I have asked to see them.

I'd say that at a minimum you'd need to reset the error codes present and more likely than not, record the original SAM coding and copy it to your new SAM so the features are the same...

Many thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cost. Mercedes dealers, at least on this side of the divide, will go for the easy option of the main ECU and charge accordingly, so I wanted to find out if the front SAMs unit which I was directed to as being the fault, was in fact, the fault. Which it wasn't. At least, so far.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you had the car connected to a DAS diagnostic machine ?

Thanks Curro, that is bought. In for a penny.........at least it could be cheaper in the end than a new ECU, and I know the firm selling it so more likely to have a chance of working. I'll keep in touch.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ndh01,

Who installed the replacement front SAM? Replaced by Lotus technicians who have a racing Lotus Elise concern and were happy to help. After my Mercedes independent charged £150 with no real results of his Stars unit, I was happy for them to try to help out, but to no avail, unless there is a particular technique in swapping overWas that replacement front SAM coded to your car? If so, who did that?
No, just a compatible unit, which was not tested but bought as 'fully working'. (You have to trust people to a degree.......)

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
No, just a compatible unit, which was not tested but bought as 'fully working'. (You have to trust people to a degree.......)
Replacement front SAM - whether new or used, must be coded to the car using Star DAS. Compatible only means that it is for your model of car. Still has to be coded.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Replacement front SAM - whether new or used, must be coded to the car using Star DAS. Compatible only means that it is for your model of car. Still has to be coded.
Thanks - so in a nutshell, if a Merc technician with Star DAS put it in, in theory, it should work?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Thanks - so in a nutshell, if a Merc technician with Star DAS put it in, in theory, it should work?
In theory, yes it should work. Looking through the fault codes you posted, have you had any other electrical gremlins? Is the battery 100% - not 98.5%, but 100%? My gut is telling me to look for a problem with one of the ground points.

·
Premium Member
10,745 Posts
Checking all the grounding points and the battery sounds like a good idea !

If not hopefully you can get the SAM coded and that sorts it...

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
@curro101 @Durkatlon @etyu might point you in the right direction.
Sorry I got nothing :D. The Front SAM is a beast, with a gajillion plugs needing to go into all the correct slots and not much room to work. I've never tackled replacing this part.

I'm surprised that - if as people here are saying the SAM needs to be coded to the car - that the car would work at all without that coding having taken place...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts