Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having owned a 1 year old for 2 months, it is lovely car, however we had a problem of wheel judder at circa 80mph

This was largely resolved by a replacement front left wheel under warranty.

However we still feel there is a problem. It is difficult to describe however at around 80mph there is a vibration through the drivers seat, not massive but it is there.

Can someone with a 172 350 confirm whether this is a feature or should the car remain silky smooth like it is at 70mph.

(Dealer wont road test at high speed - 70mph being maximum speed allowed)

Many thanks Richard

·
Registered
100 Posts
That's interesting...
I have exactly same problem at exactly same speed.....

I haven't bothered with it much ... maybe I'll get it fixed during servicing next week

FYI
The car used to be amazingly smooth....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did the dealer replace the wheel because it was deformed?

If this was the case I'd bet that whatever caused the deformation also did it to one or both of your rear wheels. It is likely this is why you are feeling vibration through the seat.

I would insist the dealer removes all wheels and checks them for run-out and carries out dynamic balancing. Your dealer is being lazy to quote 'we don't road test above 70' - they should have come to the former conclusion themselves.

The car should be completely smooth at all speeds.

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
It is a general, and I emphasise general, theory that judder felt through the steering is front wheels and judder through the seat is rear end wheels.

Your mechanic should be well aware of this one, and as I say so often, if s/he does not, then ask if you have the right person...

Go back and tell them to look at the back!

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,371 Posts
Having owned a 1 year old for 2 months, it is lovely car, however we had a problem of wheel judder at circa 80mph

However we still feel there is a problem. It is difficult to describe however at around 80mph there is a vibration through the drivers seat, not massive but it is there.

Can someone with a 172 350 confirm whether this is a feature or should the car remain silky smooth like it is at 70mph.

Many thanks Richard
I had a similar problem at high speeds but felt it through the steering wheel.
I 'fixed' it by reducing the cold tire pressure from 35 front/39 rear to 32 front/35 rear.

As an aside, I have to mention that I've bent two wheels on this car, one front wheel and one rear wheel. The sport package 18" AMG wheels appear to be prone to easy damage.
I never bent any wheels on my previous two R171 SLKs but they were 17" wheels.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,296 Posts
My average freeway speed is 70-80 mph and is still silky smooth.

·
Banned
974 Posts

Many thanks Richard
Rolling road?

·
Banned
804 Posts
You have a bad tire up front or a wheel or two out of balance.

Some cars seem to have a problem with vibrations at certain speeds, but a Mercedes? Say it ain't so!

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
I would take my car into a good tire shop and have them do a balance check on all four wheels/tires. I would mention the the 80MPH issue, perhaps they can check at that speed on their equipment?

·
Registered-sold my '55
905 Posts
Slightly different set up but I had a similar problem on my CLK convertible, it took a few weeks and a lot of head scratching before they realized that it was a bad tyre from the manufacturer; even though the I had new boots all the way round and despite changing from side to side, balancing and rebalancing, alignment etc, they couldn't work it out..eventually they did by putting the old tyre back on and the vibration stopped, so they simply put on another new tyre and everything was fine.

I hope everything works out and you are back on the road flying along with having some bad vibes..

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
I have taken my slk350 to very high speeds and it was astonishingly well composed, more so than I expected from a convertible. You should not have any judder at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.