Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo everybody, I am not new to this forum, but this is my first post. Simple because in ten years my Slk r170 never had any problems. But I chrashed it in car accident and I have been forced to buy a new one.The new one is the same engine,the same colour and the same year.And here is problem I can not easily resolve. Vario roof does not working at all at the new one. Completely dead.Switch S84 works intermittent thus I must force with several times trying ,and only opens front windows and then nothing occurs.Suddenly stops. Switch S84 pulses when I try to open roof and lit constantly when is pushed forward.In that position I can hear hydraulic unit is working.I have donor car(my ex SLK which is damaged only in front left). On my ex car everything working perfectly thus I changed few parts which are most accesibile. Switch S84,control module N10-3,bypased luggage cover switch,relay by pump,nothing changed. Checked fuses too.What now?I like to hear some advices from You guy, because I have MB wis and ASRA and found nothing about my car symptoms.Acording to that,that I have realy full operate car on my yard(chrashed but everything is working) I can simply interchange parts but I do not wanna go too far and reassemble whole roof.I assume that something does not let hard top sequence to start.When I directly connect relay at hydraulic unit I can hear sound that unit working or is not completely dead.Abs light stays lit all the time but its probably not connected to Hardtop problem.
Any suggestions? Hydraulic unit? Switches?
Thanks in advance
Boris

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,482 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable or to ‘edit’, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM/edit. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi harlequin

If you are opening the roof shouldn't the back windows go down with the front windows and boot open at the same time!!. That is how mine works as I remember from last time it was hot and sunny here (long time ago now in UK) . Just trying to get some more info for the experts to work with . Hope u get the help u need.

Cheers
Keith

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,224 Posts
Hi Boris, welcome from Canada :smile:

Thanks for the intro :tu:

Len

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,303 Posts
Welcome from Wirral, England.

We have a free to enter monthly competition.
Entry is normally open from the 1st to the 15th of every month. You simply post a reply with 3 photos.
After the 15th we usually open a poll for members to vote on their favourite.
Here's the main thread:
ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum
New members are welcome to enter (and they win too!).

Entry is open for the 2018 March Ride of The Month.
PLEASE NOTE :- Entry closes on 15th March.​

Really useful links (thanks to ixions cataloguing)
http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/354330-links-toparts-assemblies-technical-data-locations-parts-slks.html
https://slk-links.neocities.org/ Includes diy videos.

A brief guide to the forum and how to get the best from it:
http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/439993-new-wondering-what-do.html

There's a link to R170/171/172's do it yourself threads under the pic below.

Europe: Mainland Europe - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

This might be worth a read: http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-class-diy/205121-vario-roof-troubleshooting-tree-r170-courtesy-leapyfish.html

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
11,800 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK350
18,444 Posts
Welcome from Portland, Oregon. Enjoy the forum and when you get it sorted out, the top down driving.

·
Registered 2018 SLC43
166 Posts
@harlequin

Welcome.

One issue to identify is if your car has a Smart-top like module installed by a previous owner, because that could be causing the vario roof to malfunction if there is a problem with it.

My 2006 SLK350 R171 has a PIECHA Comfort-varioroof-module installed that I bought and it has been faultless in it's action and may even be the fore-funner of the Smart Top as I understand the Smart-Top guys started the business in Europe and then moved it to the US.

An issue has previously been raised years ago that if the car battery is removed or goes dead for any reason, this can "confuse" the module and cause it to malfunction when power is restored.
Solution: Disable the varioroof module and re-able it which resets it.

My PIECHA Comfort-varioroof-module is installed under the carpet just to the front/side of my right hand drive drivers seat where there is a CANBUS access port. I don't know if the new R171 modules are the same.

It is worth a try, and won't cause any harm if you do not have the module installed:

Disable the module by putting key in car to position 1. Press and hold for 3 seconds "End Call" on the steering wheel. If you have the vario module then the Hazard lights will flash on the dashboard

If you are in luck and this is the cause, then you can re-enable the device by repeating the End Call press for 3 seconds

Here is hoping

Attachments

·
Registered 2018 SLC43
166 Posts
Also, I think less SLKWorld visitors will browse this welcome forum, so it may be better to have this in the "R171 General Discussion" so you will get more attention and more help

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts
Hi Boris, and welcome to SLKWorld.com from the UK Midlands - Thanks for joining us and posting an intro (at last)! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh,thanke you guys for realy warm wellcome.I am reealy surprised that somebody realy care about some person you dont know and probably will never meet each other.And for us from non english speaking countrys it`s way too hard to write about some tehnical stuff.I have to consult with my dictionary(few of them :)).Time comsuption work.

jbanks15- I searched and foun nothing compare to my problem.Thanke you

BlanPrivate or Keith - I think it is good start and thats may be the problem.One from rear windows motor doesnt do its job.And stops whole sequence.Does anybody know is it possible to dissconnect module N10-3 and send plus and minus signal just through connector?It is hard job to aproach directly to rear motors.

MarkChat- I dont have comfort module but I will get it in near future.And I have R170 not R 171. Thanke for your help

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,303 Posts
If the small side windows have failed it is impossible to lower the roof.

There is a cable and motor and the cable failing is usually the issue.
Mercedes Benz SLK Forum - Search Results for r170 rear window failure

SmartTop is different for the R170. This video shows how it is fitted and may help checking if you have the parts fitted.
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-class-diy/377065-mods4cars-smarttop-stlfmz1-mercedes-slk-r170-full-install.html

And do not worry about translation.
If we do not understand then we will ask you to explain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Avel Du,thanks
I checked all windows and all switches.All of them work well.Next thing will be hydraulic pump but it will took more time.I think it is difficult to aproach to the HU.I will let you know about progress.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,745 Posts
Welcome from Madrid..

Your ABS light on may well be the culprit, the roof won't work over 5km/h and if you have an ABS/speed sensor problem, the car doesn't know what speed you are actually doing and won't let the roof work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts