Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now SLK'less, at least for awhile. But the story below is a true testimonial to the strength and safety of this little car.

Went up to my old hometown (about a 200 mile drive) late Friday evening and nailed a moose about half way into the trip, just after dark. I've had my share of near misses with those over the years, but I guess my number was up this time. But as the saying goes it's not the ones you see you have to worry about. This one ran up out of the ditch from the near side and in front of the car, and I mean RIGHT in front. Didn't even have time to think about braking let alone anything else...it was "Moose...BANG"... A full grown Bull dead on.

If we weren't in the Mercedes I fully believe we'd be dead. Wildlife guy said it was a 1000lb animal, this was not a small bambi creature - don't think 'deer', think of something much much larger. Took it off it's legs and the body came in to the the windsheild right along the top - it buckled but held after the windsheild itself shattered. Where it's a convertible, I think it's the extra re-inforcing MB did to the windsheil frame that save our lives. Most cars, and I've seen the results, a large moose will crush the roof flat down onto the occupants, or actually tear the roof off and enter the passeger compartment, and everyone ends up dear or seriously injured. Well that frame buckled, but amazingly didn't come close to collapsing!!!

If we'd been in either of our other small cars, with the size of the animal we hit, there's no doubt in my mind I woudn't be here writing this. The wife had not a scratch on her, and I just have a cut hand from flying glass - not even stitches, just some scrathes. The cop said he couldn't believe we'd hit an animal that size dead on in a car that small and walked away without being hurt at all, let alone seriously. Killed the bull stone dead, he never moved from where he landed when the body went back over the car.

Adjuster will get back to me tomorrow on the car itself, so I don't know if they'll fix it or write it off at this point. Anyway thank God for the way the Germans built that car, or we could have both been killed.

D

·
0 Posts
Ouch, pleased to hear that you and your wife are in good shape after that one.

The A-frame is part of the roll-over structure so even 1000lbs is no challenge when compared to the weight of the car plus the deceleration load that thing is meant to hold, the bad news is that frame can't be replaced to a standard that will see it being anywhere near as strong as it is from the factory so the dealer will say its scrap and you will be well served to say the same thing.

You can always get another, it's no biggie

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sorry to hear about the car but very glad that you two made it through with so little damage. I am dodging dear and rabbits like crazy over here but am very glad they don't have anything that size to avoid. Good luck with the insurance and repairs or replacement. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Wow! I never have to worry of such a thing happening here. I am happy to hear you're both okay. It's sounds like the SLK isn't but at least it did a great job protecting you!

So, I guess you'll have to decide what car you want to own next. geez.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:Glad you and wife are OK. That's the important thing. Sorry to hear of the damage to your SLK 55 and the now deceased moose. Any pics of your car after the accident? If there's major damage, I hope they total it out. Hope things work out for the best.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Quite sorry to hear about the incident but very very glad to know everyone is Okay. It does sound like the 55 may be a "total loss". Perhaps you can salvage the Ultraleggeras and the E55 air box and components from the rear of the car, e.g. rear lamp assemblies (left and right), smoked third brake light, roof parititon and its hinge pins, NAV.

An adult moose is a LARGE animal.

How does the front end look?

I've seen some form of "moose whistle" driven by air (I think attached to the vehicle) that WalMart sells. I don't know if this would have been effective to prevent such incidents.

·
Registered
496 Posts
What a story! I'm so glad to hear there's no injuries [except for the moose]. Great testimony to the strength of these autos! When you get a chance, please post some pics of the poor SLK.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Bill, glad to hear you both are OK. They have many similar incidents in Finland when my inlaws live, but with larger trucks and cars and they are totaled. That's why they have installed "moose fences" along all the high speed motorways. I'd give this one a proper burial and I look forward to the pics of your new 55!!R)

·
Registered 2016 SLK55 AMG w/P30
654 Posts
Wow man I'm glad to hear that you and the wife are ok! I have people telling me all the time I'm crazy to drive such a small car, that it's a "death trap". Your story goes to show that being built well goes a long way no matter what size the car is. Definately try to make sure they "total loss" the car. I second Dan's opinion that it well never be as strong or safe as it was from the factory.

Interestingly, my dealer here in SA was saying that the SLKs starting in 2010 (I'm guessing this means the 2011 model-year) will be switching to smaller displacement engines with turbos. Brings to mind an earlier thread of turbo vs high displacement. At any rate, it's worth checking into if it's true. May make you want to wait a couple years for the new line *if* it's true. It seems awfully early to me though. I didn't expect an engine change for the SLK until at least 2012 or 2013 at the earliest. But there may be some internal MB rumblings that he has heard that I'm not privvy to. Know anything about this Dan?

At any rate, I'm sure whatever you get you'll love whether it's an SLK or a new direction in car choice. Now I don't have to be jealous of your Caspian blue color anymore :tu: Just glad you guys are safe.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,053 Posts
Wow! good to hear you are ok!

·
aka Denny
196 Posts
I'm glad the two of you are okay. It is good to hear how the car held up too.

Just out of curiosity, did that impact pretty much bring you to a stop, or did you still need to deal with trying to safely stop the car after the impact?

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,158 Posts
Thank goodness you are okay. I drove by a dead moose by the road a few years ago. I noticed it not because I saw it in the ditch, but because with the top down, I smelled it. Turned around and had a look. It was BIG. I suspect our smaller cars are able to avoid some of the impact by being so low. Kind of under cut the legs and it goes over as opposed to a larger car that is going to smack more of that mass.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone, the moral support is much appreciated! This one really took the wind out of my sails. Haven't given any thought to a possible replacement at this point, still counting my lucky stars. No pics of the car as it's still about a hundred miles away where it was origionally towed. We hit the moose somewhere between 90-100km/hr (two lane highway) with no chance to brake, but it didn't stop us instantaneously and I was able to maintain control after and pull to the side of the road. Well we'll see what today brings :) .

·
Registered
676 Posts
oops,
bill, must have missed yr earlier post,

very sorry to hear, but still glad nobody got hurt (except for that poor animal). the car will always be replaced (hope a total loss may be declared).

almost had the experience first hand, as by an inch hit a deer in the outskirts of kiel, germany, abt 10 years ago (was driving a rented vw golf gti back then), but managed to throw the car into a ditch-nobody got hurt.

all the best to you and yr wife!

ir-ops

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK350
18,483 Posts
Glad to hear you two are okay. Sad you may have to replace the car though. From the photos I have see it was a real looker

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.