Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My friend bought car in October 2011. It had had an MOT in april 2012 during which it failed due to the handbrake not working. It then subsequently was repaired and passed it's MOT. He presume this repair involved the fitting of new handbrake cables although he have no proof other than the fact it failed and then passed.

Having taken his car for a few bits to be done at VW he has been advised that the handbrake cables have seized and will need replacing.

If the cables were replaced for the last MOT should they have some kind of warranty (the MOT and repairs were done at an independent garage). If so would this warranty stay with the parts/car or the previous owner? Would he be right to contact the garage who did the repairs to enquire as to the above?

Basically where does he stand? He is quite happy to pay for new cables but if the current ones are only 7/8 months old they surely shouldn't be in this state.

Any advice helpful.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered 2005 SLK200
307 Posts
The warranty should be 2 years for all parts installed in an official garage... but that should refer to the independent garages as well....

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Usually OEM parts or parts in general are warrantied for one year, labor cost is usually first 30 days only (US).

May have to check with the original shop that did the hand-brake repair to determine if the cable was indeed replaced or if they only made adjustments to the e-brake mechanism.

·
Registered 2005 SLK200
307 Posts
Usually OEM parts or parts in general are warrantied for one year, labor cost is usually first 30 days only (US).

May have to check with the original shop that did the hand-brake repair to determine if the cable was indeed replaced or if they only made adjustments to the e-brake mechanism.
It seems that it depends on the region and manufacturers.

I don't want do promote it but just an example - one of the Korean brands is providing a 10-years and unlimited km warranty on its brand new model... Actually, In the European Union, our cars have the shortest warranty period of all brands. I really hope that it is because of their quality :ch:

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
It all depends on the country and the shop that did the work. Since it's a VW and you talk about a MOT, I assume it isn't the US? For an OE Mercedes part, it is warranted for one year parts AND labor regardless of who installed it in the first place (in the US).

Len

Reactions: SamuraiSpirit
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.