Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2013 SLK350
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The E43 was revealed with 396 hp, I'm wondering why they skimmed the extra 34 hp horses on the SLC.

I'll be real guttered if I got an SLC43 now and AMG decides to put out that extra 34 hp less than a year later to boost sales.

I'm sure there will be after market upgrades, but ...

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
Most current cars have fairly conservative power output figures simply because you wouldn't want a customer putting the car on a rolling road and not getting the claimed power. VAG cars typically produce about 10% more than the manufacturer claims and my last CDi250 made 221bhp and 557Nm torque on a Maha rolling road in May 2015 with 21,000 miles on the clock.

It wouldn't surprise me at all that the SLC43 makes 400PS in real life. As Hal Adams says, "how would you know?".

I was extremely surprised to learn that the R171 SLK55 was only 355bhp which means that Mercedes could have used that as a yardstick and called the SLC a 55 as well. Against the R172 they obviously felt it was only worthy of 4.3l worth of normally aspirated engine. So long as it feels fast, do you really care? I don't.

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
My point is that there is a point where excess bhp in a car is useless. The SLK is a prime car where this applies. Go back to the Nuburgring lap times - a heavier Ferrari with less power (bhp) is 30 seconds quicker than the SLK55.

I reckon that most of us would not know what to do with anything over about 350bhp…

Anyway, the SLC43 is not all about raw power. Start thinking torque, what it does and its value. This is where the 43 comes into its own...

·
*Registered
SLK is sold
262 Posts
Start thinking torque, what it does and its value. This is where the 43 comes into its own...
Exactly. Compare the torque curves of the 5.4l V8 with that of the 3.0l Biturbo and wherever the curve of the 3.0 exceeds that of the 5.4, it will feel more powerful. The peak horsepower only really matters when your foot is to the floor running through the gears. Other than maybe Jeff, that's not how most of us spend our driving time. At least those of us not now reading this from a jail cell. :grin:

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
Anyway, the SLC43 is not all about raw power. Start thinking torque, what it does and its value. This is where the 43 comes into its own...
I agree, the 43 lacks the visceral noise and ultimate thrust of the 55 and I think it will be the better holistic package for having better weight distribution and significantly better torque characteristics. The 9-speed gearbox makes up for a little of the power deficit and its more efficient on fuel too.

I WILL miss our 55 when it goes back and I think I'll like the 43 more, although for different reasons.

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
Most on this forum need to learn the basics of engine power, and where it is all going. Many I am afraid are stuck in a time warp where the Dukes of Hazard ruled, where good old fashioned cubic inches and raw horsepower counted.

Now that the likes of Garret are perfecting turbo-chargers for the masses it is possible to get more from less. Low down torque is what it is all about now, and this does not need high end power.

I in fact wonder how many of contributers waxing lyrical about their 55 producing 420 bhp really know that the 250CDI, often open to ridicule, actually produces 500nm of torque at 1700rpm against the 525nm of torque of the 55 at 4600rpm! The 250CDI has to be geared back with a final drive of 2.47 against the 2.82 of the 55 so to keep the 0-62m a 2 second difference between the two.

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG
391 Posts
Most on this forum need to learn the basics of engine power, and where it is all going. Many I am afraid are stuck in a time warp where the Dukes of Hazard ruled, where good old fashioned cubic inches and raw horsepower counted.

Now that the likes of Garret are perfecting turbo-chargers for the masses it is possible to get more from less. Low down torque is what it is all about now, and this does not need high end power.

I in fact wonder how many of contributers waxing lyrical about their 55 producing 420 bhp really know that the 250CDI, often open to ridicule, actually produces 500nm of torque at 1700rpm against the 525nm of torque of the 55 at 4600rpm! The 250CDI has to be geared back with a final drive of 2.47 against the 2.82 of the 55 so to keep the 0-62m a 2 second difference between the two.
2 seconds is actually quite a lot, and past 60 the 55 will make significant gains. The 250CDI is an impressive engine, but it is not even in the same league as the 55.

The SLC43 will only be impressive if they can take away some of the weight. Remapping will hopefully be able to get some gains. Still, doubt I will get the 43, it just doesn't have the same presence.

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
The SLC43 will have some serious remapping potential!
Definitely. Kleemann already have a remap for the SL400 (same engine, lower state of tune) that takes the same engine to 440PS and the thread title shows clearly that if Mercedes felt the need they could just turn up the power output to 396PS without any problem.

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
2 seconds is actually quite a lot, and past 60 the 55 will make significant gains. The 250CDI is an impressive engine, but it is not even in the same league as the 55.
Agreed, I think Hal was working on the basis that if you adjusted the gearing the CDi250 could do 0-100km/h in 4 seconds but the top speed might be limited. And economy would suffer. There is truth in that but you don't want to be constantly changing gear so they gear the car long which blunts the acceleration. The higher Rev range on the 55 means to can gear it shorter and use more revs to go faster.

Captainrave said:
The SLC43 will only be impressive if they can take away some of the weight. Remapping will hopefully be able to get some gains. Still, doubt I will get the 43, it just doesn't have the same presence.
I don't see that argument as apart from the tailpipes, some badges and slightly different DRLs all the SLKs look identical. The R171 I think had flared arches and a more aggressive stance whereas really the only way you can a 55 from a 250d is that one of them plays havoc with your pacemaker when it rumbles past.

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts

Sadly, you do not get my drift. I am not saying that the 250CDI engine is in the same league as the 55. Of course it isn't - what I am trying to illustrate is that technology is moving on. The 55 has had its day. A new dawn is upon us..!

·
*Premium Member
2006 SLK55 AMG
3,078 Posts
Sadly, you do not get my drift. I am not saying that the 250CDI engine is in the same league as the 55. Of course it isn't - what I am trying to illustrate is that technology is moving on. The 55 has had its day. A new dawn is upon us..!
Seriously! Who cares about diesel or petrol, turbo or super, they are all terrible. Where's my all electric SLK?

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
Indeed!
I fear that MB technology does not move that fast! In fact, I think they are horribly behind in the electric field.
I think the R8 e-tron and Tesla are the only serious contenders in the electric sports car field - or the likes of the Quant if you have a couple of million bucks spare…
But I agree - where is it !

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG
391 Posts
A pretty uninspiring dawn if the best they can come up with is slower than the last generation...and most of the competition!

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
A pretty uninspiring dawn if the best they can come up with is slower than the last generation...and most of the competition!
All the Mercedes press blurb is pushing the "driving dynamics" of the SLC over the SLK. It's lighter than the 55 due to the smaller engine, has a better front:rear weight distribution than the SLK55 and it's a more attractive ownership proposition in terms of running costs overall.

You're lucky - you already have what you want.

·
Registered-sold my '55
905 Posts
Was sat here thinking the other day, given the way that Mercedes AMG are fully exploiting the 'badge' and the different segments playing by adding convertibles and changing names as to whether or not they add to the model range an 'E' class 2 seater and shove a V8 bi-turbo in it......after all when you think about what is in each car range the idea is not that nuts.

C class - 4 door saloon, Wagon, 2 door coupe', convertible, and the 2 seater SLC
S class - 4 door saloon, 2 door coupe, convertible and the 2 seater SL
E class - 4 door saloon,wagon,2 door coupe, convertible and the 2 seater???

The S class could embrace the SL into it's model range, OK no S wagon yet but I am sure thats around the corner. That now leaves a gap in the E class range for a 2 seater.

What they could do is in effect end the SL model range, put the SL 63 / 65 into the flagship S series. With the less powerful cars they could throw them into the E class model range, rebadge but also leave the SL 550 with a V8...and a bit of AMG magic and you end up with a SLE 55 AMG, slightly down on power than the SL 63.....I guess it could work? ...just a thought>:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.