Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Founding Member 2006
108,894 Posts

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
Sadly though, still a long way to go.
Indications are the Mercedes were getting 8.15 or thereabouts, quicker than the SLK55, but a long way off the Seat Cupra, similar weight, who has now posted a sub 8 minute time and joins the top 100 - this from an engine nearly half the size and one less turbo...

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
That C450 sounds awesome. OK, it's not a V8, but it's a great sound.

I'm not convinced the white car at the 'ring is a 43. That staccato over-run is absolutely characteristic of the 2.0l engine used in the C/GL/A45. Whatever the engine, the test driver looked like (s)he was getting bounced around big-time in the cockpit.

·
Banned
2013 SLK55 AMG
1,901 Posts
This is such an interesting discussion on several threads, this is the latest so I've posted here.....

Lighter slightly, better torque....t
.....but not as much HP and should be turbocharged
Engine not hand built by one person, NOT A REAL AMG!
Slower than another car around the BoringRing (I'm sorry I can't relate this YouTube chav obsession to everyday driving)
V6 will never sound as good as a V8
Body styling terrible with plastic exhaust pipes!
Probably handles better but who knows?
But cheaper!

Mmmmmm, has anyone actually seen an SLC, let alone sat in one or driven one?

My gorgeous, beautiful and mint 1994 4.0 Jaguar XJS was the undoubtedly best car in the world, without argument, till I got my 2004 SLK350.....it was different but better, but the Jag was no worse then it had been. Of course when I got my current 2010 R171 350 Sportspack I knew IT was the best car in the world.....
We all love what we own, but sometimes we later find there is something better?

Let's give the SLC a chance, when we've driven it we can pan it or otherwise.

BEST
TonyS

·
Registered
500 Posts
Whatever the engine, the test driver looked like (s)he was getting bounced around big-time in the cockpit.
That's what stood out for me too, whilst I couldn't hope to drive at that kind of speed myself, it illustrates the point that many us have made on this forum, namely that it just isn't anywhere near composed enough to be an all round performance car.. a cracking dragster maybe, And this is the SLC which MB reckons is set forward from the SLK.

·
Banned
2013 SLK55 AMG
1,901 Posts
That's what stood out for me too, whilst I couhldn't hope to drive at that kind of speed myself, it illustrates the point that many us have made on this forum, namely that it just isn't anywhere near composed enough to be an all round performance car.. a cracking dragster maybe, And this is the SLC which MB reckons is set forward from the SLK?

"It just isn't anywhere near composed enough to be an all round performance car a cracking dragster maybe"........
........you've given it a full road and track test then?
Internet wisdom is great isn't it?

None intended

TonyS

·
Registered
500 Posts
No Tony, quite obviously I haven't, but just look at that video, it isn't exactly a surprise it can be trounced by Seat Cupra surely?
That's probably why I think it is well suited to being an oil burning boulevard cruiser :smile:

·
Banned
973 Posts
This is such an interesting discussion on several threads, this is the latest so I've posted here.....
Engine not hand built by one person, NOT A REAL AMG!
TonyS

Oh my goodness that's terrible, this MUST mean the car is rubbish. Just how do non-AMG owners manage to get through each day?
Lord save me from AMG snobs, same goes for owners of BMW M versions, Jaguar R versions etc etc z z z z z

·
Registered
500 Posts
Oh my goodness that's terrible, this MUST mean the car is rubbish. Just how do non-AMG owners manage to get through each day?
Lord save me from AMG snobs, same goes for owners of BMW M versions, Jaguar R versions etc etc z z z z z
To be fair, I think Tony was just illustrating the wide range of opinions expressed about the SLC43, not saying that it is his own view.

·
Banned
2013 SLK55 AMG
1,901 Posts
No Tony, quite obviously I haven't, but just look at that video, it isn't exactly a surprise it can be trounced by Seat Cupra surely?
That's probably why I think it is well suited to being an oil burning boulevard cruiser :smile:
You Tube videos are notoriously misleading aren't they?
Personally I wouldn't choose or reject a car based on them.
I wouldn't buy a Seat Culpra. It has no class, it has no style and I really don't care if it gets to 60mph faster away from McDonalds :butt:
I'm just asking that you give the SLC a chance, you may decide to trade in your own oil burner against one!

TonyS

·
Registered
500 Posts
I wouldn't buy a Seat Culpra. It has no class, it has no style and I really don't care if it gets to 60mph faster away from McDonalds :butt:
I'm just asking that you give the SLC a chance, you may decide to trade in your own oil burner against one!

TonyS
I quite take your point about drawing conclusions from You Tube videos, the car did look to be a bit of a handful and perhaps that just tied in with my own prejudices.

A Seat Cupra doesn't particularly appeal to me either, precicesly because I value the other things the SLK/SLC package has to offer, you'll find from my other posts I'm hugely positive about the SLC in general.

I think I've hijacked the thread quite enough now ... that car sounds good, not necessarily the best, but still good. :smile:

·
*Premium Member
2012 SLK350
727 Posts
driving a car at the track and being in the right seat also, that driver is not bouncing around that much. We would twist our seat belts so that we where locked in place to keep just that from happening.

looks and sounds good to me

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts

TonyS
YouTube video is the same as any other video. If every time the car hits the apex at the Karrussell the drivers head moves around like a bobble head doll then you can make some informed guesses about what the suspension is doing. It's fully compressed and there is no damping available to stop the driver being bounced around on what is a notoriously bumpy corner.

You don't get to put a load of laps in testing a car unless you have shown not just a modicum of driving talent but a mastery of the art of consistency. So every time that driver hit the apex he did it the same way and his neck pays the price of his head being something heavy that's not fixed rigidly in place. The various 'ring guides tell you not to take that line unless you really know what you're doing because it is bumpy in there and there is a high likelihood that you'll proceed straight to the scene of an accident. It's a indication of the driver's skill and commitment that (s)he repeatedly takes that line.

The most powerful car is not the fastest car at the 'ring. For all the criticism that can be levelled at using the 'ring as a performance yardstick it pretty much is the de facto indication of a generally quick car.

The reason a 300PS Leon Cupra is 15 seconds per lap faster than the 367PS SLC 43 or 21 seconds faster than the outgoing SLK 55 is that the chassis setup is better. And I think the driver's head bobbing about at 11 seconds and 1 minute 20 seconds is a possible indication of it.

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
314 Posts
Just found this video as I'm seriously considering buying a slc 43 . I've been driving around the ring for the past dozen or so years and from what I saw on the video there's nothing wrong with the way that car is going . Remember that the driver will have numerous different briefs to evaluate all aspects of the car and components , not every lap is to set a record time , watch the tyre test guys and you would think some of them have robbed a bank !
I wouldn't worry about the drivers head moving in the carrousel , it's like a ploughed field , I would be more worried if it wasn't moving around .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.