Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interested to know what the differences are between the standard brake set-ups on these two cars is. Looking from the outside the calipers and discs appear to be very similar. Can someone tell me what the standard disc sizes are on the SLC43 please? Were red calipers standard on a 43 or part of a performance package??

·
Premium Member
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If I’ve done my homework correctly they are the same size!

Front discs 360mm x 36mm
Rear discs 330mm x 22mm

So in theory if nothing else changed between model years they are interchangeable between the two models!

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,363 Posts
Can someone tell me what the standard disc sizes are on the SLC43 please? Were red calipers standard on a 43 or part of a performance package??
Red Calipers are standard on UK SLC43's - Option else where in the world...!!!
Interesting assumption! But wrong!! Just thinking if some nice red calipers became available from a totalled 43 then they would bolt straight on! :laugh:
....You can keep Your Northern driving instructor cars away from My R172 for a start....:surprise:

·
Premium Member
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today my car was in for it’s annual service, mot and ‘cough’ brake upgrade. I bought a full set of brakes from a totalled SLC43 with just over 2k on the clock! Everything is completely tranferable to the 55 and it appears the only difference is the paint colour.

BTW: I also opted for EBC Redstuff ceramic pads so dirty wheels and brakes will be a thing of the past!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
... and bought the wheels then Col?

·
Premium Member
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am interested for your long-term observation about brake dust.
I put Redstuff pads on my R171 55 too! Very little dust produced. The dust that is produced does not bond to the wheel surfaces and can be rinsed off with a hose. I don’t expect anything different on this car.

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
Today my car was in for it’s annual service, mot and ‘cough’ brake upgrade. I bought a full set of brakes from a totalled SLC43 with just over 2k on the clock! Everything is completely tranferable to the 55 and it appears the only difference is the paint colour.

BTW: I also opted for EBC Redstuff ceramic pads so dirty wheels and brakes will be a thing of the past!
Nice “upgrade” @Col. Red is a good compliment to black. My brake pad is still at 7mm but would look for dust-less pads when mine comes due for a change. My rims get dirty pretty quick, especially with my lead footed driving style...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts