Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad to report that I bought one of these "pseudo-AMG" SLC43's last October, trading in my 2002 SL32. Why I'll never know but let's just say that the urge to stop some persistent nagging was no small part of it. Shouldn't have done it! Car sits in the garage with a whopping 117 miles on it; I have no desire to drive the damn thing anymore. The lack of simplicity! All the driving "modes", exhaust gimmickry, infotainment electronics, electrochemical panoramic roof panel, ECO-start/stop system, etc. only add cost and little else to the experience. This is a sporty two seater for the aged and/or techno-geek only. It ain't that quick or cool. I am seriously considering tracking down my old 160k mi. SL32 to buy it back. Or maybe just wait a while and order up a 2017 GT C cabrio. At least they carry authentic AMG one-man-built engines.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,906 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

First please update your location and vehicle (Put Looking!)(year?: 1996-2017, model?: 32, 200, 230, 250, 280, 300,320,350,55) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t. This takes about 30 seconds to do.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Info in your garage does not update your profile.

Join the gang! Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable or to ‘edit’, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM/edit. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
303 Posts
Just turn off the traction control , stop start and whatever else your not keen on and run it in sport or sport plus all the time . In a 117 miles you've really not given it a chance .

·
Registered
156 Posts
Have a look at the January 2017 edition of "Mercedes enthusiast" magazine... has some R170/R171/R172/SLC comparisons... I think the later V8s must be awesome but the AMG 32 R170 must be some car. I hope you sell the SLC as it doesn't sound that you have much passion for it... and track down a 32.. maybe a low mileage one, if not your old one.. Surely the R170 AMG 32 will be highly collectible .....come to think of it, it already is !! A downer selling a car then regretting it. Kevin

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
What's an SL32? Didn't your old car have a badge on the back? I could maybe think it was an error once or twice but three times is too many and your user name is wrong too.

Are you sure you have an SKC43 and not a Z4 or something?

And the "it not a real AMG engine" barb... Wow.

I can smell something that rhymes with bull pit. And lol at haters that "like" a hater post.

At least, as an aged techno-geek it sounds like I have the right car on order.

It never fails to amaze me how people blow money on stuff. I think my test drive was more than 117 miles. And I'm only leasing mine.

If you can't handle the tech wizardry of the SLC then don't even think about a GT C. It has everything the SLC43 has and more. But it has a badge on the engine, so that's some more money you can waste. If you're actually real at all.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK55 AMG
1,781 Posts
Sad to report that I bought one of these "pseudo-AMG" SLC43's last October, trading in my 2002 SL32. Why I'll never know but let's just say that the urge to stop some persistent nagging was no small part of it. Shouldn't have done it! Car sits in the garage with a whopping 117 miles on it; I have no desire to drive the damn thing anymore. The lack of simplicity! All the driving "modes", exhaust gimmickry, infotainment electronics, electrochemical panoramic roof panel, ECO-start/stop system, etc. only add cost and little else to the experience. This is a sporty two seater for the aged and/or techno-geek only. It ain't that quick or cool. I am seriously considering tracking down my old 160k mi. SL32 to buy it back. Or maybe just wait a while and order up a 2017 GT C cabrio. At least they carry authentic AMG one-man-built engines.
Joined December 2015 and only this one post here......?
SLK32 AMG are very fine classics and very sought after and rightly so, but really?
If you love old technology buy another '32 but don't knock the SLC too much, I love the new technology packed into it, phone, nav, stereo, lane sensing, 9 speed, suspension, etc. etc.etc. Maybe email Mercedes and point out to them that they've gone backwards over the last fifteen years?
I loved my old 1973 Rover P6 3500S to death, but I wouldn't want to drive it everyday now.....:wink:
TonyS

TonyS

·
Banned
974 Posts
You're obviously snobbish about the authenticity of AMG so why, knowing it was not a 'proper' AMG with an engine built by one man (OH wow how easily none is impressed!) did you buy it? You also MUST have known about all the modern-day electronic trickery.
If you want raw sporting machinery buy something made in the 1950's & '60's with their tractor-like build, oil leaks & unreliability.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
So sorry to hear that, I'm sure you need to give it more time. I cant believe that the old SLK AMG was built by one man it was built by robots but one guy sees it through all the final checks and signs it off which is a nice personal touch. I have ordered a new sport due in March but have to say the 43 looks gorgeous, give it another go gimmicks and technobabble can be fun and I have to say it is the future. Go with the flow! Cheers.

·
94,906 Posts
So sorry to hear that, I'm sure you need to give it more time. I cant believe that the old SLK AMG was built by one man it was built by robots but one guy sees it through all the final checks and signs it off which is a nice personal touch. I have ordered a new sport due in March but have to say the 43 looks gorgeous, give it another go gimmicks and technobabble can be fun and I have to say it is the future. Go with the flow! Cheers.
AMG engines are made by hand (prior to SLC)

http://www.slkworld.com/amgs/6464-creator-our-engines.html

·
Premium Member
184 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,086 Posts
If you buy a car and don't like it why blame the car?
Buyers need to do their research.
Sounds like you bought based on sales pitch and not on your own investigations.

Plenty like the SLC. It suits some.
Just like the 320's, 55's, 200's suit some.

Do your research and find the right car for you.
After all, you're the own paying and driving it.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Thanks for the update, didn't really believe that one guy would be responsible in this day and age.
Amazing, I stand corrected, presume that's all stopped with the SLC.
Wouldn't be the same if one robot built the car as its not human despite AI!
I suspect robots are the future though.
Cheers!
I guess realistically the slogan should be that it is 'one engine is 'assembled' by one man' .....although I understand that there are plenty of women mechanics who also assemble these engines :wink: although I don't see that mention too much or ever seen a name plate with a female name. Still wait till Aston start taking delivery of the AMG engines and throwing them in their cars :surprise: should be fun..and noisy>:D

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Actually, if that really is what they do when they build it, then they're not doing anything that wouldn't be done by a human on a normal production line. The pistons are always visually inspected and inserted by hand.

The blocks are cast and bored out by the same machinery that makes all the other engines. The head is assembled elsewhere and only joined on at AMG. And he doesn't even use a wrench. He's got an air tool that sets the right torque for him. Just like in the real SLK factory. In Bremen.

I have been told by someone at Brabus that because of the low numbers of engines involved it's cheaper to assemble them offline than do multiplestop/start short runs automated in an online process.

I can't help but think that taking the badge off the engine will save a bit of weight as well.

And I don't know if they picked Herr Vogel on purpose, but Vogel is German slang for "he's nuts".

Marketing eh!

I'm glad I'm getting a proper 43 :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Bit of an odd thread this one... Man buys car. Man hates car. Man tells everyone its crap.

Sounds to me like you just purchased the wrong car. That was either excellent salesmanship by the man/lady who was trying to get you into this car or it was poor decision making by you. It's pretty clear from the other cars in the Mercedes range that this car was going to have its fair share of electronic assistance and luxury gadgetry... In fairness, an R170 was pretty complex next to competitors like the Z3, S2000 and Boxster back in late 90's.

It's a matter of horses for courses without question, but I'm struggling to understand the merit of this when you quite clearly felt that the SLC43 was inferior even before buying it? :|

If you crave a simplicity in a modern sports car, then it has to be an MX-5 or a GT86 surely?

·
94,906 Posts
Bit of an odd thread this one... Man buys car. Man hates car. Man tells everyone its crap.

Sounds to me like you just purchased the wrong car. That was either excellent salesmanship by the man/lady who was trying to get you into this car or it was poor decision making by you. It's pretty clear from the other cars in the Mercedes range that this car was going to have its fair share of electronic assistance and luxury gadgetry... In fairness, an R170 was pretty complex next to competitors like the Z3, S2000 and Boxster back in late 90's.

It's a matter of horses for courses without question, but I'm struggling to understand the merit of this when you quite clearly felt that the SLC43 was inferior even before buying it? :|

If you crave a simplicity in a modern sports car, then it has to be an MX-5 or a GT86 surely?
He is what we call 'a troll'.
1 post, no updated profile, no intro thread
comes on, last and only appearance, 01-17-2017

I normally would delete his thread and ban him but members made entries in the thread

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,058 Posts
@Jeff, I recommend just closing this thread down... Reason: Trolling us...

·
94,906 Posts
Nah....that would be censorship :D :D :D
Now members get to roast him
If he returns, then I can toast him :D

·
Registered 2013 SLK250
278 Posts
Geeze what a horrible POS. Let me help you out here.

I'll give you $10,000 for it. It possibly can't be worth more then that as much as you hate it.>:D

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,437 Posts
@Jeff, I recommend just closing this thread down... Reason: Trolling us...
Old news. That was evident as soon as he dropped his load here :wink: Some may see it as a waste of time even responding to him.

But it's fun beating him up so to speak.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts