Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a lot of discussion on the SLC and whether to bother with it or not. Some time has passed and this model is getting closer to extinction and I wondered if anyone had any further comment or experience with their SLC's to share. My 2005 SLK 350 has treated me well but its getting time to look at a replacement and the SLC is in the viewfinder.
Any thoughts would be most welcome.

·
Banned
84 Posts
What flavor? Turbo 4 or 6?

Expect to pay $10K more for the twin turbo V6. The 4 cylinder with 241/274 has ample power and should get reasonable MPG. Its performance should be similar to your 350.

Since the SLC is going to die soon, I'd wait for its demise. Then dealers will be anxious to unload any inventory hanging around.

My other car is a straight 6 with a turbo, and it's lots of fun to drive. It's a lot faster than a 55, but it has a thirsty appetite for premium. It also requires more service and repairs than my 350, the price of performance.

If I was going to buy another SLK/SLC, I'd give serious consideration to the latest iteration of the 172. A normally aspirated engine will be cheaper to buy, service, operate, and maintain.

>:D

·
Super Moderator
24,165 Posts
Drive one. If you like it add it to the list.
Extinction 'might' mean a few bargains on new once it is not on the list (new sales).
I suspect that the second hand market will remain strong for a while.

The 170 and 171 second hand markets did not collapse at the end of life.

·
Banned
84 Posts
Drive one. If you like it add it to the list.
Extinction 'might' mean a few bargains on new once it is not on the list (new sales).
I suspect that the second hand market will remain strong for a while.

The 170 and 171 second hand markets did not collapse at the end of life.
Au contraire mon ami, when the 172 was introduced, the price of new 171s sitting on dealer lots tanked. I bought my new 171 $20K off list.

The same situation will happen when the SLC's run is officially over. The prices of discontinued cars plummet unless they are something really special which certainly doesn't apply to the SLC.

If one wants an SLC, a smart thing to do is start tracking dealer's inventory nationwide. This is pretty easy to do with the Internet.

·
Super Moderator
24,165 Posts
Au contraire mon ami, when the 172 was introduced, the price of new 171s sitting on dealer lots tanked. I bought my new 171 $20K off list.

The same situation will happen when the SLC's run is officially over. The prices of discontinued cars plummet unless they are something really special which certainly doesn't apply to the SLC.

If one wants an SLC, a smart thing to do is start tracking dealer's inventory nationwide. This is pretty easy to do with the Internet.
We are talking UK, not US.
Less model volume.
Certainly the high end SLKs did not change much in value.
I was hunting for that bargain car at the time.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts

That was also when there was a replacement vehicle in existence. This time there will be no replacement so the value may very well go up.

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
I upgraded from a 2010 R171/350 to a face lift R172 (SLC) due to no R173's being in the pipe line... :frown:
Though it's not 4 x times better than My old 350, I'm pleased that I upgraded to a newer vehicle , so that in 10 years time it won't be driving around in a 20 year old SLK.. :|

Some options to think about & test drive:

1) Look for a low mileage, excellent condition, High Spec facelift R171/350 with Sports Pack.
(The facelift 350 engine has more power & sounds great under power + get the F1 front end..!!)

2) Try and find one of the last R172/350's in a good spec.
(Non turbo engine so should sound good, but here in the UK they are rare in a high spec')

3) I tried a SLC300 and much preferred the drive & sound of My R171/350.....
(Now the SLC43 is good and learnt after quite a few thousand miles how to get the best out of the
V6/Turbo engine - But a V8 under the bonnet/hood would have be nicer :tu:

But I do prefer the more modern trim & displays in the facelift R172's (& the last of the pre face lift 172's?)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Just get a 171 55 face lift with big brakes (sport pack)
Sit back, drive and smile :grin:

My opinion is it is the best looking SLK.
Ok it's a little plain inside but I like that, who needs a thousand switches in a car for driving?
A key to start the engine, a V8 five and a half litre engine.... Steering wheel to direct your missile and a stop and go set of pedals. Have missed anything?

·
Registered
246 Posts
We love our SLC 300. No issues. I appreciate you are in the States, but just for info the UK stealerships are off-loading their SLK and SLCs and following the HQdirective to push the A-Class. So bargains to be had at all levels of recent models....

·
Banned
84 Posts
A Problem with the V6 and V8 Twin Turbos!

When Mercedes first introduced the bi-turbo V8 hyping the technology of the turbos nestled between the cylinder banks, I wondered if there would be any problems due to heat? My twin-scroll turbo in my other car generates plenty of it, so I wondered how two turbos enclosed in this small space might fare?

I got my answer looking at a similar engine design of BMW's V8 which also has twin-turbos placed between the cylinder banks. The V8 has had all sorts of problems due to heat soaking of the turbos. Gaskets have dried out, oil consumption has been extreme, and total engine failures!

https://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1076902

The Bi-Turbo design of the MB engines is very similar to BMW's. And both engines are incredibly complex. The Mercedes V6 is similar in design to the V8 in regard to the turbos. In any case, if I wanted a fun roadster, I wouldn't choose the V6 SLC, because the reliability of this engine design is an unknown.

·
Registered
46 Posts
When Mercedes first introduced the bi-turbo V8 hyping the technology of the turbos nestled between the cylinder banks, I wondered if there would be any problems due to heat? My twin-scroll turbo in my other car generates plenty of it, so I wondered how two turbos enclosed in this small space might fare?

I got my answer looking at a similar engine design of BMW's V8 which also has twin-turbos placed between the cylinder banks. The V8 has had all sorts of problems due to heat soaking of the turbos. Gaskets have dried out, oil consumption has been extreme, and total engine failures!

https://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1076902

The Bi-Turbo design of the MB engines is very similar to BMW's. And both engines are incredibly complex. The Mercedes V6 is similar in design to the V8 in regard to the turbos. In any case, if I wanted a fun roadster, I wouldn't choose the V6 SLC, because the reliability of this engine design is an unknown.

6 cylinder biturbo has been produced in large numbers by MB (for various models) and there is not one known systemic issues. If you search the forum and user group - you will find very few to no complains. This is a solid engine which just got a bump of 20HP from software update this year (360 to 380hp). This shows how under stressed these engines are. MB essentially took the tried and tested 3.5 L v6 and added biturbo. It is not the hot turbo between the two cylinder banks. You are mistaking the 4.0 v8 to 3.0 v6. BMW on the other hand is a different story. Cannot compare the two.

·
Banned
84 Posts
The V6 turbo has been produced in large numbers? If anything, this engine has limited applications to MB high buck models. Now if you were talking the 4 cylinder turbo, I would agree with you, since this is their work horse engine.

Mercedes says biturbo, so I guess this means two distinct turbos? It might also mean a twin scroll turbo. If the V6 uses a 60 degree bank angle, a twin scroll turbo might fit between the banks. The V6 might also use a 90 degree bank angle, and two turbos would fit between the cylinder banks. In this case, it probably means a turbo is hung off each cylinder bank.

The 3 liter engine is a completely new design. It has no relationship to the tried and true 3.5 liter V6 LOL! Finally, the number of 3L V6s on this forum can be counted on one hand.

A lot can be learned by examining BMW's experience with turbos. The 4 & 6 cylinder inline engines using twin scroll turbos have been very reliable. However, the V8 has had a lot of reliability problems. If I was buying an SLC, I'd get the 4 cylinder twin scroll turbo. It has plenty of HP & Torque, and it likely will be very reliable.

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
SLC43 - M276DELA30 Engine Info:

With regards to heat soak, this is the very reason I leave the engine running when I get to the top of a mountain pass R)
....and jump out to take "Scenic ROTM" pictures :tu:

Here is some information that I found a while back on the SLC43 Engines:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Web Link: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/mercedes-amg/slc-43/design
SLC43 - codenamed M276DELA30, is made up of six slightly oversquare cylinders in a 60deg V shape. Unlike AMG’s V8s, it’s not hand-assembled by AMG in Affalterbach but built at Mercedes’ main engine plant at Bad Cannstatt, Untertürkheim.
But the motor has been engineered by AMG and contains special internals and control software and dedicated injection, ignition and exhaust systems.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Web Link: The Demise of AMG Sport: 2017 Mercedes-AMG SLC43 | YouWheel - Your Car Expert
Currently there are two AMG Sport models: C450 AMG and GLE450 AMG, both are using the 3.0L twin-turbo V6 engine (internal code name: M276 DELA 30), which is producing 362 hp and 384 lb-ft of torque.
By its name, the M276 DELA 30 is developed based on the naturally aspirated M276 V6. Mercedes reduced its bore and stroke to make its displacement to be 3.0L. This engine uses Nanoslide cylinder coating, piezo injector direct injection, and the exhaust manifold is optimized with an extremely short path to the turbocharger (creating a maximum temperature of 1,050 °C on the turbine), which helps to reduce turbo lag and enhances the throttle response.
However, the reason why people still do not consider the C/GLE450 AMG to be a “true” AMG car is because, this engine is shared with other “standard” models such as the C400, E400, CLS400, GLE400, GL450. The difference is just a different ECU software tune with higher boost pressure.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
....and a sports exhaust system equipped with two automatically map-controlled flaps – in normal modes (Eco and Comfort), the flaps remain closed most of the time, but open earlier and more spontaneously in Sport and Sport+ modes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

....now as it happens, had a day out yesterday and was looking under the bonnet of a AMG V8 Turbo engine (As You do..!!) & can see the two Turbo's in-between the cylinder banks...!!

But looking at this image of a SLC43 engine, the Turbo's are on the side..??

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
yes, the turbo's are on the side and not in the middle of the two banks of cylinders. I have SLC43 and I have tried to adjust the turbo (waste gate slack) from outside. The word biturbo means independent turbo for each banks of cylinders. This engine is not new but same as our tried and tested 3.5L reduced to 3L by limiting the stroke and adding turbo. It revs very freely and sounds quite nice. No turbo hiss. The ECU is updated with more processing power and it is now able to fire the fuel injection multiple times prior to the power stroke. The fuel burns almost 100% and hence no carbon left to choke the intake.

For the turbo's to be in middle of the cylinder banks (Hot V) the intake and exhaust direction has to be reversed. To build a new engine from ground up is so complex and expensive that seldom any one ever does it. For the 4L 8 cylinder, Mercedes simply slapped two A45's four cylinder in a V and made the new v8 engine. Low production numbers of v8's would otherwise make the engine very expensive. Some day I shall own the v8. GTC perhaps.

·
Banned
84 Posts
Time is short!

yes, the turbo's are on the side and not in the middle of the two banks of cylinders. I have SLC43 and I have tried to adjust the turbo (waste gate slack) from outside. The word biturbo means independent turbo for each banks of cylinders. This engine is not new but same as our tried and tested 3.5L reduced to 3L by limiting the stroke and adding turbo. It revs very freely and sounds quite nice. No turbo hiss. The ECU is updated with more processing power and it is now able to fire the fuel injection multiple times prior to the power stroke. The fuel burns almost 100% and hence no carbon left to choke the intake.

For the turbo's to be in middle of the cylinder banks (Hot V) the intake and exhaust direction has to be reversed. To build a new engine from ground up is so complex and expensive that seldom any one ever does it. For the 4L 8 cylinder, Mercedes simply slapped two A45's four cylinder in a V and made the new v8 engine. Low production numbers of v8's would otherwise make the engine very expensive. Some day I shall own the v8. GTC perhaps.
You had better hurry, because Mercedes is abandoning the 4L twin turbo V8 for a new 4-cylinder engine. This is a good move on the part of Mercedes. The 4 uses less parts, lighter weight, is easier to assemble, and allows more room in the engine compartment. Also the new design avoids heat soak which if the bane of the old engine.

How do they make the HP? 15 PSI of boost! BTW, the turbo V6 and turbo V8 are totally new engines. Also Mercedes doesn't have any difficulty building new engines from the ground up. They employ thousands of engineers.

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
--- The demise of AMG ----

AMG lost its magic when they started sticking the badge on everything on the showroom floor.

No doubt some MBA saw that they could suck some more punters in and as usual in MBA land it has worked for a year or two but now the brand is dead. I have even come across SLK drivers who insist all SLK AMG's are the same and it just denotes a styling line. Asking 'Did they do a true AMG in the SLK range .... I don't think so'

As usual some fancy bean counter has made his bonus and moved off to screw with another company.

·
Registered
149 Posts
SLC still available?

We love our SLC 300. No issues. I appreciate you are in the States, but just for info the UK stealerships are off-loading their SLK and SLCs and following the HQdirective to push the A-Class. So bargains to be had at all levels of recent models....
Just been looking at Mercedes Benz approved used in the UK, there are lots of 69 plate cars there - mainly ex-demonstrators. [For those not familiar with the car registration system, a 69 plate was first put onto the road after 1st September 2019.

So it's not died yet, although this might be a method to flush unsold stock out of the supply chain. No sign of any of the custard yellow run out special editions either.

Does anyone know if production has actually ceased?

M

1 - 18 of 18 Posts