Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLC to SLK Tail lights

15K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  Nor 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever tried to swap the tail lights from an SLC and put them in an SLK (R172)? I read on here that they're the same size but wasn't sure if they will actually fit and if they are plug and play.

#2 ·
Idk if anyone is interested in this but I went on eBay to see pics of used SLC taillights and this is what I found. It looks like it might be possible...

Sorry the pics aren’t the best but this was all that I could find. Let me know what you think.

SLK Taillights

SLC Taillights

Close up comparison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
From the photos they *look* like they'll fit

Not sure electrically - will need to check WIS for that one ...

Reactions: Avel Du
#5 ·
#7 ·
I haven’t purchased WIS. I called Mercedes and they told me that it might not work due to the fact that the new taillights are leds and that could cause an error because it’s a different amount of power so the computer might think there’s something wrong. I don’t want to spend $125 just to find out they’re right, ya know? What I might do is try to find one cheap used taillight on eBay and just hook it up. If it doesn’t work I can just try to resell it, if it does work I’ll buy a second one.

#11 ·
If they are connector-compatible, the fact that some bulbs are LEDs on the newer lights shouldn't be too much of an issue. You can always hook up a resistor in parallel to the light to drop the additional current required to fool the computer.

All that would be a lot cleaner (no splicing required) if there is a way to get the connectors on both end of the tail light hook-up, so you can fashion a kind of wiring harness. But a direct splice on the wires is always an option.

#12 ·
I don’t know much about electrics so that’s not something that I would attempt without assistance. I would consider paying to have it done if the price is reasonable. How difficult of a job do you think this would be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.