Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered 2015 SLK250
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried to swap the tail lights from an SLC and put them in an SLK (R172)? I read on here that they're the same size but wasn't sure if they will actually fit and if they are plug and play.

·
Registered 2015 SLK250
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Idk if anyone is interested in this but I went on eBay to see pics of used SLC taillights and this is what I found. It looks like it might be possible...

Sorry the pics aren’t the best but this was all that I could find. Let me know what you think.

SLK Taillights

SLC Taillights

Close up comparison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,024 Posts
From the photos they *look* like they'll fit

Not sure electrically - will need to check WIS for that one ...

Reactions: Avel Du

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
99,674 Posts

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
73 Posts
That’s a really good idea... please keep us updated on what WIS says

·
Registered 2015 SLK250
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That’s a really good idea... please keep us updated on what WIS says

I haven’t purchased WIS. I called Mercedes and they told me that it might not work due to the fact that the new taillights are leds and that could cause an error because it’s a different amount of power so the computer might think there’s something wrong. I don’t want to spend $125 just to find out they’re right, ya know? What I might do is try to find one cheap used taillight on eBay and just hook it up. If it doesn’t work I can just try to resell it, if it does work I’ll buy a second one.

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
73 Posts
I haven’t purchased WIS. I called Mercedes and they told me that it might not work due to the fact that the new taillights are leds and that could cause an error because it’s a different amount of power so the computer might think there’s something wrong. I don’t want to spend $125 just to find out they’re right, ya know? What I might do is try to find one cheap used taillight on eBay and just hook it up. If it doesn’t work I can just try to resell it, if it does work I’ll buy a second one.

Yeah that seems like a more feasable option. Maybe see if you can meet a fellow SLC member here and do a quick swap on one and see if they work then and there?

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,099 Posts
Carefull your ins company may need to know or wont allow the modification unless it was a factory fitment / option ?

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,951 Posts
If they are connector-compatible, the fact that some bulbs are LEDs on the newer lights shouldn't be too much of an issue. You can always hook up a resistor in parallel to the light to drop the additional current required to fool the computer.

All that would be a lot cleaner (no splicing required) if there is a way to get the connectors on both end of the tail light hook-up, so you can fashion a kind of wiring harness. But a direct splice on the wires is always an option.

·
Registered 2015 SLK250
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If they are connector-compatible, the fact that some bulbs are LEDs on the newer lights shouldn't be too much of an issue. You can always hook up a resistor in parallel to the light to drop the additional current required to fool the computer.

All that would be a lot cleaner (no splicing required) if there is a way to get the connectors on both end of the tail light hook-up, so you can fashion a kind of wiring harness. But a direct splice on the wires is always an option.

I don’t know much about electrics so that’s not something that I would attempt without assistance. I would consider paying to have it done if the price is reasonable. How difficult of a job do you think this would be?

·
4,951 Posts
How difficult of a job do you think this would be?
I think any car shop that does aftermarket work would be able to figure this out. It's as simple as measuring the before/after current and calculating the correct resistance value to make up the difference. They do this all the time with LED conversions.

·
Registered 2015 SLK250
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think any car shop that does aftermarket work would be able to figure this out. It's as simple as measuring the before/after current and calculating the correct resistance value to make up the difference. They do this all the time with LED conversions.

That’s definitely worth looking into, I appreciate the feedback!

·
Registered 2015 SLK250
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I just thought about something, if this is a fairly simple thing to do, why is it so much more difficult to upgrade the headlights? My car has the (ugly) halogen headlights and I had been looking up ways to swap for the bi xenons but from everything I’ve read it seems incredibly difficult. Honestly, I just think they look a lot better so I don’t care about the intelligent lighting and all that, I’d be happy as long as they turn on and off when they’re supposed to lol But when I was looking into this I wasn’t able to find positive results.

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
73 Posts
I just thought about something, if this is a fairly simple thing to do, why is it so much more difficult to upgrade the headlights? My car has the (ugly) halogen headlights and I had been looking up ways to swap for the bi xenons but from everything I’ve read it seems incredibly difficult. Honestly, I just think they look a lot better so I don’t care about the intelligent lighting and all that, I’d be happy as long as they turn on and off when they’re supposed to lol But when I was looking into this I wasn’t able to find positive results.

I’m actually going to get aftermarket HID’s installed as I’ve also got the ugly yellow halogen bulbs. It’s very simple. You won’t loose the functionality of the headlights turning on automatically when it turns dark. I think you just need the error free canbus for the kit. I’ll update in a few weeks once I’ve reached payday lol

·
Registered 2015 SLK250
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’m actually going to get aftermarket HID’s installed as I’ve also got the ugly yellow halogen bulbs. It’s very simple. You won’t loose the functionality of the headlights turning on automatically when it turns dark. I think you just need the error free canbus for the kit. I’ll update in a few weeks once I’ve reached payday lol

Well I already replaced the halogen bulbs with LEDs, but what I want is the bi xenons.

These are the ones I have:

These are what I want:

·
4,951 Posts
OEM BiXenon lights require ballasts, igniters and computer coding. It's a totally different system compared to Halogen.

·
Registered 2015 SLK250
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OEM BiXenon lights require ballasts, igniters and computer coding. It's a totally different system compared to Halogen.

Hopefully we’ll get some aftermarket headlights soon, the R172 has been out for a long time now.

·
Registered 2015 SLK250
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update: the company that I posted the link for just sent me a quote for the lights and shipping to Florida, USA, it’s pretty pricey...
IMG_0816.jpg

1 - 20 of 27 Posts