Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLC Garmin Map Pilot built in Satnav disappointment

9K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  richardjames 
#1 ·
I normally avoid built in satnavs when buying a new car as they tend to be grossly overpriced and a rip off when it comes to updating. Preferred to use my stick-on Garmin Nuvi. The SLC built in Garmin map pilot didn’t seem too bad through at £595 including three years updates and traffic warnings so took the plunge and ordered it with the car.
The big benefit is that it’s great to have a satnav built in with no-stick on units, I was soon to discover the downside though.

1. The Garmin SD card with the maps on has to stay in the SD card slot to work so the slot is out of commission for anything else.
2. Only having one screen means jumping about between satnav, radio, USB media etc.
3. Apparently safety camera alerts are illegal in Germany so no camera warnings, these have to be loaded as a separate POI file.
4. Entering postcodes or town names is done using the centre console rotating dial, one letter at a time and is quite cumbersome compared to the touch screen Nuvi keyboard which is a doddle.
5. Although my car was a 2017 model the Map Pilot SD supplied was 2016 maps and straight away had me showing as crossing fields when I was travelling on a new road so needed an update.
6. Whereas my stick-on Garmin Nuvi is so easy to update using a USB cable the Map Pilot is a real pain. I have to use the MB download software to update the SD card and it is incredibly slow and temperamental. In case you haven’t updated yours the MB software that allows updates can be found below, good luck!
7. https://shop.mercedes-benz.com/dcp/static/garmin/en/garmin-map-pilot.html

So I won’t be buying any more built in satnavs and will stay with stick-on screens and find a way to make them more ascetically acceptable.
Cheers, David

See less See more
#11 ·
Not so with our Volvo. The Nav map shares the very large screen with the other apps unless you go to full-screen mode. Destination entry is via either voice or the touch screen, and you can do so while the car is in motion. Map updates for your home region are done automatically over the air. If you wish, you can download onto a USB stick the entire map database and upload it into the car. Likewise the voice command database. All free.

Edit: I forgot about the fantastic Head Up Display and the turn-by-turn instructions in the instrument cluster display.

#3 ·
I'm quite happy with the nav system in mine and its a 2012 with no updates and have no plans on updating it as it does just fine. It is the best one by far that I have ever owned and the nav and multi-media package on that year was well worth the price IMO but I can't attest to what they have out now.

#5 ·
I'm not tech savvy but I didn't order any type of upgraded sat nav in my 43 , just took the one it came with , but it does do the spoken order thing , not that I know which button to press to make it work but my missus does . I still use a paper map and write down the major towns on paper and stick it on the dashboard , stoneage sat nav :grin:

#10 ·
~~ I still use a paper map and write down the major towns on paper and stick it on the dashboard , stoneage sat nav :grin:
Nothing like a good Navigator & a OS map or similar to find the best SLC/SLK roads... R)

I love a built in sat nav. Always there, ready and waiting if you need it. No trailing wires to power the stick ons or the need to remove each time you stop the car.
My R171 TomTom 5200 install had no trailing wires & the magnetic mount is a dream to use:

Though when I move up to an SLC43, My TomTom with its live traffic & weekly speed camera updates is the one thing I'll miss, un-less I can work out how to install it on a R172...

I have a July 2018 post facelift SLC43 which comes with the Garmin included as standard (I was not paying £2000 for COMAND!)
Instead of using the car's rotary multimedia wheel to enter addresses, I use the Mercedes.me app on my iPhone to allow Bluetooth transfer of destination.

To do this on my iPhone:
Google maps (Or Apple maps also works)
Enter the address
Swipe up and "share" the address with the app:Mercedes.me
(The Mercedes.me app does not have to be running on the phone to allow this, just installed)
The address is sent to the car by Bluetooth and it automatically pops up on the car screen as having received an address
Click "Go!" and off I go!
Good tip - That sounds a lot easier way to enter a destination :tu:
(Perhaps the "Mercedes.me app" does have a use after all...!!)

So does that same method work with the COMAND system..??

Attachments

#6 ·
My car has basic voice control, bit hit and miss though getting it to recognise addresses, must be my crossover Scouser to Somerset accent!
Latest Garmin update took all night to update the SD card, only 500Mb but MB server was really, really slow, downloading and updating one file at a time.
Update has a redesigned interface though and manual post code input is vastly better and faster than me shouting an address at the satnav!
Cheers.

#7 ·
I love a built in sat nav. Always there, ready and waiting if you need it. No trailing wires to power the stick ons or the need to remove each time you stop the car.

Also, @Pyecrust you dont have one screen. If you have the navigation on the main screen, change the screen on the instrument cluster to be your second source i.e radio or disc/usb and, the control wheel operates the map and, the wheel buttons will change station/track of your chosen audio. You can also do it the other way round and, put simple navigation instructions onto the instrument cluster screen whilst the main screen shows whatever else you want. I will agree that the stick on are easier to set your destination though LOL. No easy solution to that.

I have a becker in my A250 which is a module that slides in at the top of the glovebox. Easy to slide out and connect to the PC to update. I buy 2 years of map updates at a time which is a nice saving over the annual map update. Still more costly than the stick on map updates though. I also add the speed cameras which at £20 or so a year is much cheaper than getting caught out.

In the SLC 43 I have on route, I have the COMAND system. Whilst only free for the first 3 years, it updates itself in the car to the latest maps (apparently) and can even have software updates pushed from MB out to the car. No idea what the cost is after 3 years but, Im' sure it will silly expensive >:D.

I do have a Tom Tom stick on that lives in the car but, that is only used now if I go on holiday and, hire a car or, use another vehicle like a hire van and need a nav device.

#9 ·
I have a July 2018 post facelift SLC43 which comes with the Garmin included as standard (I was not paying £2000 for COMAND!)
Three years of Over-The-Air live traffic information is also included and after that I guess it is subscription?

I updated the software and maps on the SD card as it was already out of date on delivery of the car - it took 90 minutes to do.
I read previously on these forums that you only have 60 days to do this for free - after that you have to pay for updates. Is this no longer true given peoples experience in above posts?

Instead of using the car's rotary multimedia wheel to enter addresses, I use the Mercedes.me app on my iPhone to allow Bluetooth transfer of destination.

To do this on my iPhone:
Google maps (Or Apple maps also works)
Enter the address
Swipe up and "share" the address with the app:Mercedes.me
(The Mercedes.me app does not have to be running on the phone to allow this, just installed)
The address is sent to the car by Bluetooth and it automatically pops up on the car screen as having received an address
Click "Go!" and off I go!

However, Garmin makes some pretty elementary mistakes in directing me, choosing some VERY wrong and weird longer than necessary routes and I ignore it on the local roads I know and wait for it to recalculate route.

Quite simply, it is not as good as Goggle Maps directions on the £600 computer in my pocket (iPhone)

#16 ·
GPS navigation is useful if you are going to a new or strange destination, but otherwise useless. I mean don't you know where you are going? I sure wouldn't pay the $600+ for the Map Pilot when my $100 Garmin does the job plus it has lifetime maps.

Also I program the Garmin out of the car while with the Map Pilot, you'll probably do it in the car. You might be tempted to do it while driving, a very bad idea. :surprise:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.