Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to add an amplifier to a non-HK Audio 20 setup ... I'm presuming that the amp goes in the foot-well where the HK one goes but does anyone have a wiring diagram showing where I can tap into the speaker wires together in one place?

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I actually took some good inspiration from that article and the other article regarding a subwoofer that's referenced in that article.

I actually ended up installing the same subwoofer along with an amp and component speaker setup - resulting in a night and day change in sound quality.

For completeness, here's the setup I ended up going with:

Focal PS 165 FE Component speakers - Component kit from the Flax Evo range PS 165 FE
Pioneer GM-D8704 amplifier - GM-D8704 - Class FD 4-Channel Bridgeable Amplifier with Wired Bass Boost Remote
Focal iBus20 Subwoofer - Ibus 2.1 amplifier - Focal
Alpine SXE-0825S rear speakers Alpine SXE-0825S 3-1/2

The amplifier and component speakers alone made the biggest difference to the point that the sub isn't really necessary, it just adds an extra layer of weight.

The amplifier is compact enough that it fits into the enclosure in the foot-well where the stock amp would be. The subwoofer then fits on top as per the article referenced above. This brings some easy of installation as the speaker out from the head-unit can be split in the one place to use as line-level input to both the amp and sub.

If anybody is thinking of doing the install then just ask me for any details you need.

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To answer my own original question, the easiest way to tap the speaker wires was behind the head-unit as it's actually easily accessible - the centre console is only a few bits of plastic to pop-off and a few screws to remove.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,402 Posts
You would be welcome to add details of your experience to the original diy that you used.

Think of diys as living documents.
Tweaks, alternate options, extra photos are welcome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts