Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
* Registered
2017, SLC43
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys need some help.

I bought a SLC43 recently which apparently doesn't come with a steering lock.

Mercedes also did not know that this model doesn't have a steering lock..while my previous manual slc had that.

Their explanation to this: "this model with automatic transmission doesn't come with the steering lock".

Can you please tell me if your slc43 has no steering lock? I'm really perplexed.... :confused:

Thanks

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,286 Posts
Congrats!
please update 'vehicle details' with model AND year of your slc 43

·
* Premium Member
SLK 200 R172 2011 🇮🇹
177 Posts
Hi guys need some help.

Mercedes also did not know that this model doesn't have a steering lock..while my previous manual slc had that.

Their explanation to this: "this model with automatic transmission doesn't come with the steering lock".

Can you please tell me if your slc43 has no steering lock? I'm really perplexed.... :confused:

Thanks
Hi

What do you mean with steering lock?
that the steering wheel locks when you turn off the car?

·
* Registered
2017, SLC43
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

What do you mean with steering lock?
that the steering wheel locks when you turn off the car?
Correct. If I turn off the car and take the key out the steering should lock. At least this is what happened with both my previous slk and slc.

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
16,993 Posts
Entirely possible (assuming when you say "Mercedes" you mean a salesman :rolleyes: , that is not surprising) per an Edmonds discussion forum thread

An excerpt from that thread
The NHTSA said if a manufacturer proved to them that the car was hard to steal because of some other anti-theft device, it would grant a waiver of the steering wheel lock requirement for that model.

·
* Registered
2017, SLC43
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Entirely possible (assuming when you say "Mercedes" you mean a salesman :rolleyes: , that is not surprising) per an Edmonds discussion forum thread
I spoke with the Mercedes workshop manager where I bought the car. But apparently they did not know the first time I asked them... I had to go there to hear this...lol

·
* Registered
2017, SLC43
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just finished now to spoke with another Merceds dealer via phone. They said that mine should have the steering lock. I'll stop by them in a couple days and hopefully make an end to this hilarious story.

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
16,993 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way but: how do you know? Are you able to turn the wheel 1/4 turn or more when parked/key not in ign?

Not a practise anyone recommends as it's very hard on steering components but it can be done with effort (engine not running and key in and in neutral with a locking ign).

·
* Registered
2017, SLC43
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please don't take this the wrong way but: how do you know? Are you able to turn the wheel 1/4 turn or more when parked/key not in ign?

Not a practise anyone recommends as it's very hard on steering components but it can be done with effort (engine not running and key in and in neutral with a locking ign).
yes I tried without forcing too much. The thing is that I know how does the steering lock works as I used to own a SLC 200 until a month ago... it used to make an electronic noise once the key was removed. This one doesn't do any noise at all.

·
* Registered
2017, SLC43
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for your comments. In my ignorant opinion should be just a relay that doesn't work.. but will see. BTW just FYI, the steering lock noise sounds the same since 2004.. I also used to own a SLK that made the same noise.

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
954 Posts
You will feel the motor engage when the key is removed/inserted.
I do believe your car should have the lock but the dealer can look it up with your VIN.
Do not attempt to force steering with engine off and tires on the ground, this can cause damage to steering rack.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
* Registered
2017, SLC43
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You will feel the motor engage when the key is removed/inserted.
I do believe your car should have the lock but the dealer can look it up with your VIN.
Do not attempt to force steering with engine off and tires on the ground, this can cause damage to steering rack.

Correct but apparently they need to see the car to find out.

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
954 Posts
Do you now have keyless? With keyless it works when opening the door.

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
3,385 Posts
Back on My R171/350 I remember the steering wheel would unlock when the key was turned.

But checked My SLC43 last night & though I didn't start the car, I agree moving the steering back & forth from the center position with out putting to much force on it, does not seem to have a steering lock....!!

I guess with out starting a R172 with a key & only ~two turns lock to lock means You'd struggle to turn the wheel anyway, then there's the electric parking break and anyone tried hot wiring a R172, like what they do in the movies..??

Though owners with "Key-Less Go" option, need to remember to keep there keys in some sort of Faraday Cage to protect their cars....

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
7,860 Posts
Hi guys need some help.

Thanks
Please see the attached page 127 from my R172 SLK Owners Manual and the sentence "The steering wheel is locked when the key is removed from the ignition lock " I have not got an SLC43 owners manual but I would imagine that yours works the same.

Attachments

·
* Premium Member
SLK 200 R172 2011 🇮🇹
177 Posts
Please see the attached page 127 from my R172 SLK Owners Manual and the sentence "The steering wheel is locked when the key is removed from the ignition lock " I have not got an SLC43 owners manual but I would imagine that yours works the same.
SLK R172 works this way...at least mine....

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200 ; DAS/STAR Reg'd Owner
284 Posts
Looking at Parts Catalog the SLC with 9-Speed Automatic Transmission doesn't have a Steering Lock... :unsure:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts