Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK280
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday morning and I need some advice kinda quick. Later today I'm taking a dear friend's wife to look at a 2017 SLC AMG 43. Excellent price, clean CarFax and a potential buyer who just got rid of her Cayman S. She's always loved my 2007 280 (which I still have and adore). I've relied on this forum for great advice for years.

If possible, please tell me what to look for when we go to the dealer (not an MB dealer). At face value this looks like a very low price for this vehicle.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,402 Posts
Whilst you wait look at the new buyers guide

·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whilst you wait look at the new buyers guide
Been on the forum for many years and never saw such. Please point me. Thanks.

·
27,402 Posts
Link in my post. I went back to edit.

If you have a VIN number, get the datacard.
Not being an MB dealer, they may just cut and paste sales description from a previous car.

·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Link in my post. I went back to edit.

If you have a VIN number, get the datacard.
Not being an MB dealer, they may just cut and paste sales description from a previous car.
Thanks to thei forum and Jeff, I have the datacard. Validated all dealer claims.

·
27,402 Posts
Not sure if this applies to SLC but try before the test drive

@Trev5 has the 43 and may be around.

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,619 Posts
Not sure if this applies to SLC but try before the test drive
My quick thoughts on the SLC43 ...

Well first off, if You can find a R172/55 AMG in the color, spec, condition, mileage and price that You like, that may be a better option for sound track and fantastic V8 engine..

Plan B: Is a newer lower mileage SLC43.
Plus points over the V8 55 AMG is new lightening fast 9G Gearbox. (In Sport+ mode, I've never felt the need to reset it....!!)
Newer bling looks and slightly more modern dials.

Our UK SLC43's come standard with the Red high performance brakes and Limited slip diff. Where as Your US models have the performance Pack?

Other thing to look at, is Face Lift R172's (SLC) with out COMAND, have poor stereo quality? Hence why I made sure My SLC43 had COMAND HK5.1 (y)

·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My quick thoughts on the SLC43 ...

Well first off, if You can find a R172/55 AMG in the color, spec, condition, mileage and price that You like, that may be a better option for sound track and fantastic V8 engine..

Plan B: Is a newer lower mileage SLC43.
Plus points over the V8 55 AMG is new lightening fast 9G Gearbox. (In Sport+ mode, I've never felt the need to reset it....!!)
Newer bling looks and slightly more modern dials.

Our UK SLC43's come standard with the Red high performance brakes and Limited slip diff. Where as Your US models have the performance Pack?

Other thing to look at, is Face Lift R172's (SLC) with out COMAND, have poor stereo quality? Hence why I made sure My SLC43 had COMAND HK5.1 (y)
Much thanks. Going through the 43 thread and I'm not discouraged from my recommendation that she seriously consider this. Car has just over 33K miles. Finding a 172/55 would be way too much effort at this point. Leaving in a few to eyeball the prospect but many thanks to all for the pointers. If she buys, she WILL be convinced to join the forum!

·
2,619 Posts
What year is the SLC43 that You are looking at? (Link would be even better :cool:)
...and I can post up the Dealer Ordering Guide, for that year..!!

·
2,619 Posts
Quick scan through the picture & two observations:
1) Has after market front parking sensors, hence the little box on top of the dash board
2) Only has Halogen head lights, so these will be poor if the car is driven away the city lights on a wet night..
(Though cheaper to repair that the fancy LED ones, if & when they go wrong..!!)

This is the 2017 Dealer Guide:

Attachments

·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quick scan through the picture & two observations:
1) Has after market front parking sensors, hence the little box on top of the dash board
2) Only has Halogen head lights, so these will be poor if the car is driven away the city lights on a wet night..
(Though cheaper to repair that the fancy LED ones, if & when they go wrong..!!)

This is the 2017 Dealer Guide:
Thank you. Noticed the sensor on the dash; didn't see the halogen.

·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The summary: Thanks to all who have helped here. I was right, she loved the vehicle. Very clean and very quick. But neither of us could figure out how to bring up the sat radio. But the transaction never materialized. Dealer (not MB) offered what could only be an insulting trade-in value and we walked away. And I do mean insulting; by at least $5,000 below low book. This is why people rate used car dealers even below Congress. Thanks to my ever-helpful pals here, though. The quest continues.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,306 Posts
For grins and giggles, I checked Can book values selling a 2006 280 (a year older than yours--only one I could find on short notice for comparison purposes only) at about $14,000 CDN (so about $10,500 USD). Yours should be more

·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For grins and giggles, I checked Can book values selling a 2006 280 (a year older than yours--only one I could find on short notice for comparison purposes only) at about $14,000 CDN (so about $10,500 USD). Yours should be more
Thanks for the help. After today, I'm trying to track down my 2000 230 for her. She can trade it with the one she has. What else is new?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts