Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just reaching out to other SLC 43 owners

I have had the extended warranty on my previous SLK and just as well I did, with roof issues to name a few

My car will be 3 years old in March and they have quoted £745 for 12 months

Have any other SLC 43 owners taken the extended warranty?

Thanks

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
130 Posts
Hi Mark,

Mine is 3 years old in March as well.

Only done 14k miles so was thinking of taking a chance.

I have just signed up for a service plan to include my next service in March plus 3 others.

£42.60 per month for 3 years.
Hoping that if I get a shock expensive repair Merc will be sympathetic????

Got to say though I thought the extended warranty would be more than £745.

Cheers

Tom

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Tom

Yes I have had a service plan on my at £36 a month which expires the end of year

Haha Mecerdes being sympathetic.....not sure I will gamble on that LOL

My last SLK had so much work done on the roof, etc. and this time around I am not sure I will gamble?

Also with the ongoing dispute I have which is with Motor Ombudsman I am toying with the idea of moving on , but not sure what to buy

Cheers

Mark

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,619 Posts
So how many miles have You done now Mark?

I never got around to taking out the Extended Warranty on My Face Lift R171/350 & touch wood, I now have a jam far full of £50 notes, as I never had a non wear & tear/service issue with it..!! :cool:

Though I'm not sure the R172's are as reliably.....?
But I'm guessing if all the UK SLC43 owners clubbed together their "Year 4" - £745's, and We paid for what ever came long, I bet We'd be quids in for self insuring, as MB will be making a profit out of the warranty plans & the cost of the department to run the extended warranty...?

From what the R172/55 owners have talked about, Year 5 & 6 goes up & up...!!

I have a winter car, so I don't rely on My SLC43 as a daily drive, so will most like wing it when My warranty come to an end :unsure:

·
Registered 2006 SLK350 sold/now 2018 SL400
294 Posts
Is it worth asking Merceded for some goodwill towards the warranty cost. Jaguar gave me £400 towads the extended warranty on my Fpace, when I complained about the number of faults its had.
Mark

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
6,219 Posts

I never got around to taking out the Extended Warranty on My Face Lift R171/350 & touch wood, I now have a jam far full of £50 notes, as I never had a non wear & tear/service issue with it..!! :cool:

But I'm guessing if all the UK SLC43 owners clubbed together their "Year 4" - £745's, and We paid for what ever came long, I bet We'd be quids in for self insuring, as MB will be making a profit out of the warranty plans & the cost of the department to run the extended warranty...?

I have a winter car, so I don't rely on My SLC43 as a daily drive, so will most like wing it when My warranty come to an end :unsure:
They wanted £1,699 for 12 months Extended warranty for my 7 year old 36,000 mile SLK55. Another member here with their 2016 10,000 mile SLK55 were also quoted £1,699 so no real logic their. I decided to hang onto my money.

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
130 Posts
Hi All,

Just got my letter today inviting me to take out the extended warranty.

Once logged in I was offered two options.

24 months @ £950

12 months @ £499

I was pleasantly surprises as I expected £750 like Mark.

I then examined the warranty policy details and was dismayed to find that most items were EXCLUDED !

The main thing being the roof and most things connected to it.
It basically cover Mechanical or electrical failure that's it??

Am I missing something??

Cheers

Tom

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,400 Posts
Extended warranty is 90% scam and 10% value. Many moons ago (2008) when I bought my very first BMW, a MY2006 530i that was barely 3 yrs old but already had 50K miles (seller was a sales guy and spent his life on the road), I figured it is prudent to buy an extended warranty just in case... Cost me $1,800 for a 2-yr/75K miles (whichever is earlier). A year in when the car needed a repair, turned out it was not covered... one of the exclusions. My bad for not reading the warranty with a 1000X magnifying lens. I am forever scarred by extended warranty so I swore off them... Being there done that...

For a 3-yr old SLC, with less than 30,000 miles, getting an extended warranty is, IMHO, throwing good money away... Put that money into a jar (like @Trev5), make sure the car is regularly maintained, and don't sweat it. These newer cars are far more reliable than we care to admit, and if we take good care of it, it shouldn't need more than regular maintenance and replacement of wear & tear stuff due to age/use...

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi All,

24 months @ £950

12 months @ £499

I then examined the warranty policy details and was dismayed to find that most items were EXCLUDED !

Am I missing something??

Cheers

Tom
That is much better than my quote so I don't understand it

Yes I checked through the policy booklet online and see many things are not excluded which were covered on my old 250 SLK
The only reason I am considering is because I had so many roof problems, leaks and electrical failures last tiem which would far surpass the cost of £750!

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Hi Trev

Just under 11K miles, and as I am retired now it will be the main drive excluding my wife's car

I am still deciding based on the issues I had with my SLK250 cdi......... roof problems, leaks, electrical ...
but all the roof seals and such like were covered........ but now looking through the latest booklet they aren't anymore !

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi All,

24 months @ £950

12 months @ £499

Am I missing something??

Cheers

Tom
Hi Tom

Just rang them, they made a mistake as my details were not loaded correctly....... so mine quote is the same as yours now !

Thanks for posting

Mark

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
130 Posts
Hi Mark,

Having read the exclusions, most off which seem to be the problem areas I think I will adopt the £50 a month in a jar warranty.

At our relatively low mileages we shouldn't have a problem that is covered for the next 2 or 3 years.

Touch wood!!!

Glad I saved you £250....lol

Cheers

Tom

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Tom,

Given the problems with my low mileage SLK 250 last time around, not sure I am going to chance it ?

Yes glad you saved me some money

Cheers

Mark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts