Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the engine is off is it normal for the steering to have a lot of play in it? ie.Waggle the steering wheel quite a bit before wheels move. Its fine when the engine is running.

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
427 Posts
It's easy enough to check if there are loose components in the steering. Get a friend to help wiggling the steering wheel while you get under the car and feel for loose fitting things, like tie rod ends, the pivot point of the steering mechanism on the opposite side of the car from the steering wheel. (Just in case you don't have a RH drive). Any looseness there indicates wear and should be addressed. Check every thing by taking a good look at it while you are under the car. You never know what else may be ready to fail. You don't have to be an expert to recognize when something is loose or leaking. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It all seems fine.The best way to describe it is like when you have a leaking brake servo and the pedal drops when the engine is off but its ok when the engine is running.Almost like it might be something to do with the power steering? The handling is good. While on the subject of checking for damage, i did find the tie bar that goes diagonally from the front middle subframe to driver footwell is snapped. Anything to be concerned about? (i know its nothing to do with original question)

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
427 Posts
Not in and of itself, no. But, I would like to know why it snapped. Fatigue would be my guess but why? Is there something loose under there that the tie bar is attached to that would cause the fatigue? Perhaps it could be welded back together.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.