Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new here and need some help on my SLK230. I have done a bunch of searching but I haven't found these straightforward answers.

I have a 2000 slk230 r170.

What kind of supercharger do I have? (I think M62)

Where can I get a smaller SC pulley, and what size should I get?

Do I need any special tools to swap them?

Do I need to change anything else if I swap the SC pulley? (Belts etc.)

Where can I get a reasonably priced remap?

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
303 Posts
I used speers , German guy , simple slip over oversize bottom pulley and belt kit easily installed with basic tools and knowledge . He does a remap too , I'm guessing he can do it via the Internet but I got mine done at his garage as I was all but passing on my way to the Nurburgring . Good results , more tourque , smoother delivery and better mpg !
A cone filter works well with the mods above , I put a bigger intercooler on also but I don't think it really did anything but give people a talking point !
I was about to mod the exhaust too but never got around to it as I bought a slc .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies. I have gotten my data card, but I don't know how to determine my supercharger type. I don't think I have the M45, because I have a pre face lift 2000. I don't know however if I have an M62 or M65. Thanks for any help.

Also, I don't think I want to do the crank pulley because of the other parts required. I just want to get a smaller supercharger pulley, but don't know what to get or how to install it.

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
303 Posts
Speers do over pulleys for both types . It's an aluminium sleeve that fits over your existing bottom pulley and does the same job as a smaller supercharger pulley . It takes about 25 mins to install , rad shroud off , expansion tank unbolted then belt off and new over pulley bolted on top of the original . It's a very simple idea and as my mate bought my car I can honestly say it's done about 20k miles since I put it on without problem .
It really is the easiest way to increase the boost , and it's fine to use without the remap . I ran around in mine for ages without the remap , which to be honest just smoothed the power out a little at high revs .

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
513 Posts
Thank you for the replies. I have gotten my data card, but I don't know how to determine my supercharger type. I don't think I have the M45, because I have a pre face lift 2000. I don't know however if I have an M62 or M65. Thanks for any help.
You're quite right, the Eaton M45 supercharger is on the facelift 230, that ran from Feb 2000 to April '04 using the M111.983 engine.
Before that, July '96 to Feb '00, the M111.973 engine used the Eaton M62 supercharger.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Other components?

Speers do over pulleys for both types . It's an aluminium sleeve that fits over your existing bottom pulley and does the same job as a smaller supercharger pulley . It takes about 25 mins to install , rad shroud off , expansion tank unbolted then belt off and new over pulley bolted on top of the original . It's a very simple idea and as my mate bought my car I can honestly say it's done about 20k miles since I put it on without problem .
It really is the easiest way to increase the boost , and it's fine to use without the remap . I ran around in mine for ages without the remap , which to be honest just smoothed the power out a little at high revs .
Will I need anything else like fuel injectors if I go to a smaller sc pulley or larger crank pulley?

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
303 Posts
Will I need anything else like fuel injectors if I go to a smaller sc pulley or larger crank pulley?
Pulley and remap is fine . As I said , mines done about 20k miles since I did the mods and it's been fine , and that includes a few 1000 mile road trips over Europe and a couple of ring trips .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I talked to the guy at speed and I think Im just going to get the pulley without the remap. That's the best bang for the buck. Remap is the same cost as the pulley essentially, with only half the gain it seems.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I talked to the guy at speed and I think Im just going to get the pulley without the remap. ...
Without remap your AFR (Air-Fuel Rate) changes and your engine will get too much air without enough fuel on some period of acceleration.
Check my experience HERE.

You can find the differencies between the M45, M62 and M65 at the attached pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
M62 >> post face lift?

can a post face lift (2001 SLK 230) be fitted with a M62 supercharger? Is there a better supercharger that will fit?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts