Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to remember someone (although it could have been on another forum) having trouble with lifting an R172 with either a car lift or jack, and the plastic sill covers broke or cracked?

Was it someone here? I am about to buy one of these small mobile car lifts that lift the car on the sills, but notice on mine that the actual sills are covered by the covers and a splash plate. It could well be that the car lift platform just compresses the plastic onto the sills and they are OK, but with MB parts prices, not sure if I want to be the guinea pig!

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah yes, using the jacking points at the ends of the sills is fine. It is the portion of the sill between each jacking point that is the issue.

The problem is that some car lifts - the ones that allow access under the car - is that the lifting plate is not always exactly long enough for the jacking points, so it is necessary to use rubber blocks at suitable places along the sills. In the R172 case though the plastic sill cover - the amg style ones like ours anyway - are in the way!

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it is hard to line the pucks up - hence my question regarding the sills.
Most cars, one just needs to place the car lift platforms under the sills and all is ok - a 30 second operation from placement to lift! But along comes MB and has to change everything by covering the sills up! The trouble with the mobile car lifts that have swing arms into the jacking points, the centre of the car is taken up with the lift mechanism - the Quick Jack allows one to do gearbox work and the like:
Hydraulic Jack - Portable Car Lift - Race Car Lift - Race Car Jack- QuickJack USA

It will still work, but as you say, pay attention to placement of the pucks.

The only problem now is trying to talk/order one! I email the States who say all European sales are dealt with by someone in Estonia! One week on, I am still waiting for Estonia to wake up (for the US guys, Estonia is a bit of a European joke - a bit like some of the States you have…). Then there is the problem of voltage compatibility - the US 230V has different earthing to Europe, so I need a 12V DC model that requires a large battery to be handy, or jump leads from the car being lifted...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.