Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to remember someone (although it could have been on another forum) having trouble with lifting an R172 with either a car lift or jack, and the plastic sill covers broke or cracked?

Was it someone here? I am about to buy one of these small mobile car lifts that lift the car on the sills, but notice on mine that the actual sills are covered by the covers and a splash plate. It could well be that the car lift platform just compresses the plastic onto the sills and they are OK, but with MB parts prices, not sure if I want to be the guinea pig!

·
*Registered
SLK Disposed of
310 Posts
I seem to remember someone (although it could have been on another forum) having trouble with lifting an R172 with either a car lift or jack, and the plastic sill covers broke or cracked?

Was it someone here? I am about to buy one of these small mobile car lifts that lift the car on the sills, but notice on mine that the actual sills are covered by the covers and a splash plate. It could well be that the car lift platform just compresses the plastic onto the sills and they are OK, but with MB parts prices, not sure if I want to be the guinea pig!
I have been do some work lately on my brake calipers and have had no problem using the jack at the jacking points but for safety have been using a trolley jack for support.

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah yes, using the jacking points at the ends of the sills is fine. It is the portion of the sill between each jacking point that is the issue.

The problem is that some car lifts - the ones that allow access under the car - is that the lifting plate is not always exactly long enough for the jacking points, so it is necessary to use rubber blocks at suitable places along the sills. In the R172 case though the plastic sill cover - the amg style ones like ours anyway - are in the way!

·
*Registered
SLK Disposed of
310 Posts
Ah yes, using the jacking points at the ends of the sills is fine. It is the portion of the sill between each jacking point that is the issue.

The problem is that some car lifts - the ones that allow access under the car - is that the lifting plate is not always exactly long enough for the jacking points, so it is necessary to use rubber blocks at suitable places along the sills. In the R172 case though the plastic sill cover - the amg style ones like ours anyway - are in the way!
Sorry misunderstood

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
You'd need 4 oblong pucks and the bars on each side will only lift the car on the jacking points.

But it will be hard to position the car to line everything up. Isn't there a snap-on version of this that is the equivalent of a 2-post lift?

It's the one that is powered from a 230V pump?

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it is hard to line the pucks up - hence my question regarding the sills.
Most cars, one just needs to place the car lift platforms under the sills and all is ok - a 30 second operation from placement to lift! But along comes MB and has to change everything by covering the sills up! The trouble with the mobile car lifts that have swing arms into the jacking points, the centre of the car is taken up with the lift mechanism - the Quick Jack allows one to do gearbox work and the like:
Hydraulic Jack - Portable Car Lift - Race Car Lift - Race Car Jack- QuickJack USA

It will still work, but as you say, pay attention to placement of the pucks.

The only problem now is trying to talk/order one! I email the States who say all European sales are dealt with by someone in Estonia! One week on, I am still waiting for Estonia to wake up (for the US guys, Estonia is a bit of a European joke - a bit like some of the States you have…). Then there is the problem of voltage compatibility - the US 230V has different earthing to Europe, so I need a 12V DC model that requires a large battery to be handy, or jump leads from the car being lifted...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I posted some time ago about possible issues with the plastic sill covers because I jacked up the car and then noticed the passenger side sill was broken (hanging slightly lower than the drivers side). Was this the cause or just something I noticed at that time? Anticipating the need to work on the car, I order an aluminum jack pad adapter from precision and it is nice, even has spring loaded ball bearings that hold the adapter in place. I also bought a low profile floor jack. Just changed brakes and rotors last weekend, and all went well, no damage at all. So, I believe it was not the jacking that caused the issue, but the brackets holding the sill must have been previously broken and I noticed it at that time. Jack pad adapter and floor jack, no problem at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.