Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Overzealous cleaning
People (jbanks15) with OCD who fall into the "washers" category also tend to clean compulsively. As with hand-washing, SLK cleaning is often a way of easing germaphobia or feelings of impurity. Although cleaning can help chase these obsessive thoughts away, the relief does not last, and the urge to clean is often even stronger the next time.
When to seek help: If you spend hours a day cleaning your SLK, it's almost certainly related to OCD, but it's harder to know if cleaning for an hour a day could be a sign of OCD. "It's really the consequence of stopping," said Dr. Michael Jenike, a psychiatrist at Massachusetts General Hospital, in Boston. "If you don't [clean], you get terribly anxious and fearful."

Checking behavior
So-called checking behaviors—returning three, four, or even 20 times to look at the SLK in the garage—are the most common compulsions associated with OCD, affecting nearly 30 percent of people with the disorder. Like other compulsive behaviors, checking can be driven by a variety of obsessions, ranging from a fear of missing a speck of dirt when vacuuming the SLK -seated feelings of irresponsibility.
When to seek help: It's normal to double-check something once in a while. But if checking interferes with your daily life (by making you late for work, say), or becomes a ritual that you can't do without, it could be a sign of OCD. Jenike has patients who are compelled to check the garaged SLK exactly three times, for instance.

Seeking reassurance
One way people with OCD try to soothe their anxiety is by asking for the opinion of their friends and family on SLKWorld.com. Asking friends to weigh in ("Does my 55 seem dirty to you?") can also be a strategy for avoiding compulsive behaviors.
When to seek help: Everyone uses their friends as a sounding board, but if you catch yourself repeating the same question over and over—or if your friend points this out—it could signal OCD. What's more, the reassurance you get from loved ones could be enabling your obsessiveness.

Had to keep it clean

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've definitely got OCD had it for years ...... Clean all the time house and cars... Everything has to be equal and straight ....even at work I have to put the chairs in order in the waiting area and have everything in its place at home and work and in my car lol.

And now I have my dream car I'm even worse with that ....checking it all the time as well..........driving my hubby crazy lol

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
I have OCD and I'm proud of it. It's probably one of the best disorders to have. I would rather be organized and clean than be disorganized and a [fill in the blank].

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK280
3,920 Posts
I don't have OCD, just very organized/meticulous/detail oriented. lol I have had many people ask me if I have outlines for placing everything and my response is "not that you can see".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts