Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just noticed something on my car and was wondering if anyone else with an R170 had the same thing.

The black frame around the glass of my driver's side mirror is much thicker than it is around the passenger side mirror. As a matter of fact, the passenger side mirror looks like it doesn't have much of a frame at all.

Driver's Side Mirror

Driver Side.JPG

Passenger Side

Passenger Side.JPG

I'd always suspected my car experienced a passenger side accident before it found a home with me.

I've noticed some other issues affecting the passenger side more resently, like I'm unable to adjust the headlight vertically.

Anyway...F)

D

·
0 Posts
It could be a thicker panel for some reason mate but i very much doubt that.

In the UK at least the 170's have mirrors like your passenger side.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I once heard that the driver-side mirror has a thicker panel so as to protect the fluid inside the auto-dimming mirror...

·
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I once heard that the driver-side mirror has a thicker panel so as to protect the fluid inside the auto-dimming mirror...
Hmmm...good point watsons. I didn't think about that. I'll feel less anal if that's the case.

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230 Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,093 Posts
Kevin, are you sure you don't have a replacement mirrors...maybe off a Pinto or something???? That may explain it.:confused:

ROFLOL GOTCHYA!!!! :rb:rb:biglaugh::biglaugh::Beer:

Mine are the same as yours. Good eye, I never noticed it before.:rockon::hail:

SLKman:tu:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Dang Ya''ll I noticed that right off when they said the drivers lookin glass dimmed itsef. I luuked reel close to see that magic luukin glass an how it waz made. After cipherin fur bout a week it camm to me,,,,,, PFM,,,,,,GPFM. My inside luukin glass says it dips,,,, aint seed it do that yet. Reckon its waitin fer a gurl to ride soos I kin see her lags. (gintlmens dont luuk direct at gurls, we sneek a peek). :rb:rb:rb:biglaugh:

·
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kevin, are you sure you don't have a replacement mirrors...maybe off a Pinto or something???? That may explain it.:confused:
ROFLOL GOTCHYA!!!! :rb:rb:biglaugh::biglaugh::Beer:
Mine are the same as yours. Good eye, I never noticed it before.:rockon::hail:

SLKman:tu:
That's just downright mean Brent. :biglaugh: ...a Pinto. I had 2 of those. Wasn't anything automatic about either!

Dang Ya''ll I noticed that right off when they said the drivers lookin glass dimmed itsef. I luuked reel close to see that magic luukin glass an how it waz made. After cipherin fur bout a week it camm to me,,,,,, PFM,,,,,,GPFM. My inside luukin glass says it dips,,,, aint seed it do that yet. Reckon its waitin fer a gurl to ride soos I kin see her lags. (gintlmens dont luuk direct at gurls, we sneek a peek). :rb:rb:rb:biglaugh:
Hmmm...I knew you were smarter than you were playin', but the inside one doesn't really "dip". Then you probably know that too...smart***. :biglaugh:

I have a replacement rearview waiting to be installed. It has a case of the "lava lamp". I'm waiting until I can tear down most of the dash to also install my Parrot Evolution and do some "peel" repainting.

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC300 Founding member #7
2,172 Posts
As I recall, the driver mirror has the extra thick rim either because of the dimming OR heating (or both :) )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.