Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Long Time Member 2005 slk350
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a flat tyre this morning a bloody twig through the side wall :(

anyway after shopping around Hull I found I could not get a conti sport 3 to match the others on the car as they have moved onto sp5.

As the others are all like new i could not just stick a full new set on. I have gone with a sp5 on the o/s/r. I did think it may make the rear end feel a bit odd. However the good news is it has not :) although it did hit the wallet for £ 140.

Have any of you run your cars with a mix of tyres ? thoughts anyone or have you run sp5,s

cheers Pete

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Yes.

I have Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics on the front axle, and Michelin Pilot SuperSports on the rears.

IIRC, it has to be the same type of tyres on the same axle.

No change in vehicle behaviour and driving characteristics with my current tyre set-up.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Years ago, you got a puncture, took it to the tyre place and get it fixed. Now, you get a flat, take it to get repaired but there's a sharp intake of breath, "sorry mate, can't fix that, you need a new tyre" - the old tyre comes off, get's fixed & sold as a 'part worn' and you have to stump up for a new one.

Although it's not ideal, you soon get used to driving the car with different tyres on the same axle, and drive accordingly:- e.g. it might dig in a little more on left hand curves, but you soon get used to it, and ignore it.

·
Long Time Member 2005 slk350
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Years ago, you got a puncture, took it to the tyre place and get it fixed. Now, you get a flat, take it to get repaired but there's a sharp intake of breath, "sorry mate, can't fix that, you need a new tyre" - the old tyre comes off, get's fixed & sold as a 'part worn' and you have to stump up for a new one.

Although it's not ideal, you soon get used to driving the car with different tyres on the same axle, and drive accordingly:- e.g. it might dig in a little more on left hand curves, but you soon get used to it, and ignore it.

hee hee that's a very good quote of what the tyre man said :biglaugh:

however it was dead this time.

my mother took her fiesta to them last year for a puncture repair and came away with four new tyres! Son they did me a great deal and made me a coffee :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: , as she was about to cut me a slice of apple pie I said You have got a great deal mum ;);)

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
14,227 Posts
Just changed my F1's (front) Continentals (rear) to Conti Sport 5's all round. Too soon to say really, but I'm preferring the 5's to the F1's on the front.
I'd ran F1's previously on my Z3 and thought them unbeatable for grip, they'd transformed the handling, but when I first swapped the Conti 3's to F1's on Mabel, I didn't have the same confidence in the front end, and found her more prone to under steering :eek:. I'll be interested to see how 5's all round behave in the long run.

·
Banned
992 Posts

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-VAN-MOTORCYCLE-TUBELESS-TYRE-PUNCTURE-REPAIR-KIT-/271344597724?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre_Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item3f2d65fadc

·
2007 SLK350 fastdawg
4,429 Posts
I'm running a mixed front and back set, at least until I replace tires. At least the front match and the back do too. I'm not far from replacing the back, probably by summer. If I take the Mid-Ohio Advanced driving course on their track, I may need them sooner as I expect to burn off some serious tread!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts