Mercedes SLK World banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Dave - thank you for taking the time to reply, really appreciate it.

I just posted on Andres thread that you linked me to, to see if he removed the side panels for repainting. I think he would have mentioned that as it does seem a bit of a task, but fingers crossed!

In the meantime, fingers crossed also for the surgery your car it going in for and lets hope they sort it. If you can find any further info from your dealer then that would be appreciated too.

Best regards

Mark

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Mark, hope you get somewhere with that, the amount of help and knowledge around the globe that is available on this site is amazing!
The car is booked in for mid September and I will ask the question for you and send you a reply here!
Regards David

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
@DavidD

Thanks for the reply David - appreciate it. I have still not made any progress, simply because I cannot get my hands on the car. Having said that, there are still no leaks so it does seem that is the problem. At this rate, it seems likely that your car will have visited the dealer before I make any further progress and actually, I am happy with that because I SOOOO don't want to break that trim! I will update if I do beat you to it though.

AlanH - welcome aboard mate - hope this thread eventually helps you!

Best regards, Mark

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi again, the car has now been taken back to the dealer and they have started the repair on the leaking roof.

I did ask them several questions and it does seem that the side panels are not removable, they are bonded (vulcanised?) to the rest of the glass panel assembly. Both side panels creak when pushed but there is no leak at all from the right hand side into the headlining. Will be interesting to see if they are still doing the same after the roof repair.

My car went in on Monday and hopefully will be finished on Friday this week. They started with a sprinkler test to confirm leakage and the location. The leak was located where they thought it would be and they then removed the roof from the car and took it apart. I was told that there is a water barrier / membrane under and around the edges of the glass panel. The official mercedes repair is to inject a sealing/bonding material on each side of the glass panel, wait 12 hours for that side to set and then do the next side the following day.

They are also going to replace the rubber seals above the side windows. So by Friday the last side will have been done, then roof put back on car and water tested. The dealer says that they have done several repairs like this on SLK cars with success on each one.

I will post again when the car is back and has been in the rain a few times.

I am glad I took it back to the supplying dealer as my local one said that the Approved Used Warranty does not cover water leaks unless one of the rubber roof seals that moves with the roof is damaged/broken.

The supplying dealer sold me the car 5 weeks before the problem occurred and has said that even if the Approved Used Warranty does not cover it then they will sort it out at their cost.

Rather glad that I purchased my SLK from a Mercedes dealer as the same problem from a back street used car dealer could be a nightmare to get corrected. The retail price to repair it is around £1100 so not cheap!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
David - sorry for the delay in replying but thank you so much for updating us on your car.

It does sound like you are being looked after by the dealer and hope this sorts the problem. I had a feeling that they would say those side trims are not (supposed) to be removable which still leaves me in limbo land somewhat.

My sister will be away on business in a weeks time so I might pluck up the courage to see if I can remove it without breaking it and then rebond it.

Let us know when you get your car back. It should be just in time for a lot of rain next week so at least that will be a good test - good luck!

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi, the car is back and the rain is about to arrive! I cannot see any difference in the roof cosmetics but the side panels no longer creak and groan when I gently push them. Whatever they have done has also sorted that problem out. We are due some intense rain in the next 48 hours and I will let you know if it has worked!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Mark
Well I have had a couple of days with torrential rain and the roof has been totally watertight!

Hopefully that is the problem fully sorted although I still don't totally understand how so much was getting in.

I would be a bit wary of pulling off the side covers, mine are now fully fixed and no longer flexing. Just thinking that removing one might just make water leaks more likely. Any way you could use a small syringe to inject some sort of liquid rubber solution under the loose bit?

My repair was a recommended MB service dept repair, tried to find the details on line but without success. Perhaps other folks on this site could find it?

The technical service bulletin is perhaps L177.30 P056644 or newer.

Might be some info in that to help you with your problem!

Regards David

·
Registered
225 Posts
I fixed this on my 2012 SLK250.

The two outer sections of the roof have a lip seal, the seal is mounted in the center section, and has a lip which seals to the outer sections. Problem is the seal shrinks, normally opening first at the ends. Then something fills with water, and waits for you to drive the car.

The fix; Use a tongue depressor or other non metal object to separate the seal from the outer section, press towards the roof centerline and slightly up. about 1/16 of an inch.

Clean this opening very well. move along the entire length and clean the seal well. Compressed air, alcohol, and rags...

Tape off the painted areas on both sides of the seal. Once the seal is clean and dry, open the gap again and this time, fill the gap with black RTV. It takes a long time to work your way forward (or back).

I squeeze out a pile of RTV and with the smallest flat tip screw driver, spoon the rtv in the seal opening. Yes about 3/16 of seal opening at a time. once the entire seal has RTV under it, wipe the seal forward and back with a paper towel until the towel is clean. Remove the tape protecting the paint.

Use a fresh tube of 3m Black RTV

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
David - thank you so much for the update and fantastic that your leak is sorted. Hopefully you can get on and enjoy the car now and not worry every time it rains! Thanks also for the details of the TSB, if anyone has a copy then I would love to have a read.

Jerry - thank you very much also. My concern is that from the little I can see under the trim, it is pretty full of the sort of green algae stuff that you see on the rubbers of cars that haven't been cleaned for ages and that I won't have room to get in and clean it out properly first.

I guess what you are saying though is that as long as I can clean the edges properly then that should be sufficient.

I will update as soon as I have the bloody car!

Cheers again to both of you for helping me.

Best regards

Mark

·
Registered
13 Posts
R172 SLK Roof Leaks

Have been following this with interest as our recently [5-6 weeks] purchased SLK has a leak from the passenger side of the roof.
Only starts to come in usually after cornering /braking and from the forward end of the side window seal/cup seal. This with the roof lining in place. Removing the roof lining the water then enters at a point mid way above the side window, and can be seen to travel forwards and downwards along the window seal retainer. From what can be seen the water is exiting the roof structure only because there is a gap in a bead of sealant again mid point in the roof structure just inboard of the seal retainer. No such gap exists on the drivers side. If the gap wasn't present then my assumption is that the water would just fill the void between the panoramic roof panel and the main structure with potentially further problems.
The vehicle has now been returned to the supplying dealer, [NON Mercedes ]who too be fair have not argue the case and have promised to rectify the problem.
It is clear to me that the entry has to be between the panoramic and the side panels but the bond /seal appears intact with no apparent issues in that area.
My wife really loves the car in all other respects so here's hoping the issue with the leak can be resolved. If it cannot then she is determined to reject the vehicle as being unfit for purpose!
Will update this post as soon as more details come forth.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It is clear to me that the entry has to be between the panoramic and the side panels but the bond /seal appears intact with no apparent issues in that area.
If you look at this bond/seal line very closely, you can see where the lip has pulled away about the thickness of a business card in some spot from the outer panel. Does not take much.

If you want to test this, tape over the entire bond line with vinyl tape and spray the car, no water inside.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did try that Jerry, and sure enough no ingress. I looked real close at the seal/bond but couldn't see a problem, but like yourself I think there must be one in that area.
I wondered why it seems to be at that one side predominately, passenger here in UK, Driver side North America?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Both sides on my car developed leaks

Drivers side, would wait until you were coming to a stop, and then give you a bath.

Passenger side leaked on top of the seat with the car parked ??

·
Registered
626 Posts
I've got one as well on the drivers side where the roof meets the windscreen. Very annoying.
The lining is away from the roof and the rubber does'nt cover the lining as much as it does on the passenger side.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well we collected the vehicle on Friday and it still leaks!
It appears that the dealer from whom we purchased outsourced the work to a body shop. They in turn only appear to have repositioned the sponge seals that form part of the side window seals [ inserts in the ends]. Despite our statement that the water ingress ONLY happened when the car was driven they have performed a static test!

We don't feel inclined to return to the dealer as this involves a 130 mile round trip and we have performed this twice already. There is also the time factor involved.

We will be seeking their authority to place this with a local Mercedes dealer for rectification at their cost or rejecting the car for a full refund including the extended warranty we purchased. We don't believe this to be in their interests as they will still have a vehicle with a problem, and the adverse publicity generated. We are seeking legal advice on the aforementioned points

·
Super Moderator
24,779 Posts
Well we collected the vehicle on Friday and it still leaks!
It appears that the dealer from whom we purchased outsourced the work to a body shop. They in turn only appear to have repositioned the sponge seals that form part of the side window seals [ inserts in the ends]. Despite our statement that the water ingress ONLY happened when the car was driven they have performed a static test!

We don't feel inclined to return to the dealer as this involves a 130 mile round trip and we have performed this twice already. There is also the time factor involved.

We will be seeking their authority to place this with a local Mercedes dealer for rectification at their cost or rejecting the car for a full refund including the extended warranty we purchased. We don't believe this to be in their interests as they will still have a vehicle with a problem, and the adverse publicity generated. We are seeking legal advice on the aforementioned points
Mention that Members of a forum numbering 58,000 (all slks) are disappointed too.
That you haven't named them....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi, sorry to hear that you are also having this problem. The leak on my car was the same, water coming out of the head lining when braking or going around a corner.
From what I have experienced and read the only way to fix this would be to replace or repair the glass section, from what I was told the cost at a Mercedes dealer to repair is around £1100 and involves the car being off the road for a week. Mine was repaired by the supplying dealer (Mercedes Brooklands) and now seems to be watertight.
Not sure if your supplying dealer would want to cover that cost, they might prefer to just refund you.
The Mercedes Approved Warranty did not cover this problem which rather upset me, however the dealer did the work free of charge as I had only collected the car 8 weeks before this problem started.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Quick update
Vehicle was collected this morning by dealer and returned to workshop for rectification starting Monday. It has also been provisionally booked into a Mercedes dealer by seller for next Thursday if they feel that they unable to fix the problem. I have written a report of the situation based on my findings as to where the problem lies stressing that it's only my personal opinion [not wishing to upset those technicians who are better qualified !].
I do have an engineering background having served for 12 years as a RAF technician, even if it was a long time ago, so feel justified in making some sort of statement.

The dealer from whom we purchased has been outstanding so far in their response, so here's hoping for an acceptable result.

Will keep posted .

·
Registered
77 Posts
Glad you are getting somewhere with the problem, it is such a great car to drive, wishing you a speedy resolution and hope it gets sorted next week.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts