Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have haunted Mercedes showrooms including the huge UK MercedesWorld show palace, galleries & test track since the launch of the R172 & have never noticed much interest in what was the latest SLK.
Today with several SLCs around all seemed different.
A 200 being used on the demonstration track was getting much attention even whilst parked waiting for the next 'track experience' customer. 2 more inside were rarely without admirers including myself. Still mostly women though.
Love the piano gloss trim that's appearing on most demo & stock cars & the fact that the rear side windows now go up when roof is down.
Not as impressed as when first seen.
Too like the SLK & those ugly out-of-scale over-designed clumsy unnecessary proturbances of the front bumper are going to get dinged the first time you attempt to park nose in to a kerb or your garage wall. Why? The SLC does need a more macho but not Chav look & that is NOT it.
Shame too that the black plastic faux side vents have not been dropped, or at least made real or a better material used, stainless steel for instance.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Being a Chav, I prefer the look of the SLC even to my SLK and I'd dearly love to buy one... I'm just having trouble finding anyone who can supply a car to my spec in a reasonable timeframe. I've been told that the big discounts available are generating lots of orders which MB are struggling to fulfil.

I can't see any point in me spending a substantial wad of cash on a brand new car if I can't get it in the spec I want, so it looks like I'm going to stick with what what I have for the moment.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Have haunted Mercedes showrooms including the huge UK MercedesWorld show palace, galleries & test track since the launch of the R172 & have never noticed much interest in what was the latest SLK.
Is this a Halloween theme? Do you wear a Hockey Mask while haunting?

Today with several SLCs around all seemed different.
Tell me more!

A 200 being used on the demonstration track was getting much attention even whilst parked waiting for the next 'track experience' customer. 2 more inside were rarely without admirers including myself.
Do you always hang around the SLK's in the showroom? It might explain the lack of other people coming to look. With the Hockey Mask and the haunting....

Still mostly women though.
I don't understand why you think that's a bad thing. Half the reason you're driving a convertible 2-seater is so that you can have a woman in the other seat. It's so much easier to get a woman home if you can get her in the car and it's so much easier getting her in the car if she likes it. Maybe you'd rather have a man in the other seat? That's OK too. As long as you don't want to tie them up and put them in the trunk. That would be.... creepy.

Love the piano gloss trim that's appearing on most demo & stock cars & the fact that the rear side windows now go up when roof is down.
Those were both available on the old SLK. One you had to pay £500 for as a factory option and the other required a SmartTop. So not much improvement really.

Not as impressed as when first seen.
I know EXACTLY what you mean :wink:

Too like the SLK & those ugly out-of-scale over-designed clumsy unnecessary proturbances of the front bumper are going to get dinged the first time you attempt to park nose in to a kerb or your garage wall. Why?
Why indeed? Perhaps you didn't spec the parking sensors? Or you just lack skill at parking? This could be tempting fate but I've had cars for 33 years this year and I've NEVER bumped the front of the car while parking

The SLC does need a more macho but not Chav look & that is NOT it.
It's a MERCEDES. It can't look Chav. Even when real, honest to goodness chavs were wearing fake Burberry, real Burberry was still as cool as f***. It looks like an SLK but different. It's a minor evolution on a theme. All SLKs are fabulous in their own way. This is differently fabulous. It's happened. Long-term it will be easier if you just accept it.

Shame too that the black plastic faux side vents have not been dropped, or at least made real or a better material used, stainless steel for instance.
I'm tempted to photoshop a car up without the vents. It would look PANTS without them. I have a set that I tried painting matt aluminium. It looked pants. I painted them body colour. That looked pants too. I tried contrasting colours and shades. All pants. So in the end I bought another set and I left them alone. Mercedes designers get a shedload of money for a reason. They're actually quite good at this stuff.

This is a forum for people who love SLKs and SLCs to come and engage in a huge group-hug about how fabulous we all are because we have great taste in cars. Why all the negativity all the time?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts