Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
2861 - 2880 of 2917 Posts

·
*Registered
23 Posts
Yes, I see what you mean....and no denying that the look is very impressive. But... (and at great risk of causing derision among members)....it is a case of "horses for courses" with me. Forty years ago, I had a TR7 and more recently an MR2. And now that I am older I am looking for , oh let's call it a more sedate excitement. The 1.8 Kompressor suits me fine and has a fine turn of speed. And, in whatever guise, any SLK has to be the most beautiful car on the road. So here's to all our SLK's, driven well and safely for many miles and years to come.
Nigel

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
20 Posts
I took my SLK to the track last weekend. I didn't really like driving it at the track. I found it stressful and tedious. It was an interesting day and I'm VERY GLAD that I had a go at track time, but it's definitely not for me. I did not anticipate how tedious it would be going around and around and around the same track trying to hit perfect lines through the turns.

I look at it like golf. I have played golf; I've had lessons and played a few dozen rounds in my life. I've come to realize that in order to get beyond barely competent at golf I'd have to spend a whole summer playing 2-3 times a week. I no longer play golf, but when I did I would spend 4 hours out on the course only to have 3-4 golf shots that are really nice that I can say "that was a really nice shot!". My track day was like that. I woke up at 5AM and spent 8+ hours at the track, only to have 3-4 turns where I actually hit my marks and had a good line at the turn. The rest of the time I missed the apex always hit it too soon and just pushed my way through the turn with my instructor barking in my ear that I missed it again. The only way for me to get better than rank novice / incompetent would be to do many track days.

I would much much prefer a day driving on the beautiful country roads we have here in Virginia USA instead of spending days and days and $$$ trying to learn the fastest way around a specific course.

However, it was quite an interesting day that not many people have the opportunity to experience and I got some very cool pictures. I put the pictures in a "Gallery" here.

·
Administrator (Canada)
20,976 Posts
I took my SLK to the track last weekend. I didn't really like driving it at the track. I found it stressful and difficult. It was an interesting day and I'm VERY GLAD that I had a go at track time, but it's definitely not for me. I did not anticipate how tedious it would be going around and around and around the same track trying to hit perfect lines through the turns.

I look at it like golf. I have played golf; I've had lessons and played a few dozen rounds in my life. I've come to realize that in order to get beyond barely competent at golf I'd have to spend a whole summer playing 2-3 times a week. When I play I spend 4 hours out on the course only to have 3-4 golf shots that are really nice that I can say "that was a really nice shot!". My track day was like that. I woke up at 5AM and spent 8+ hours at the track, only to have 3-4 turns where I actually hit my marks and had a good line at the turn. The rest of the time I missed the apex always hit it too soon and just pushed my way through the turn with my instructor barking in my ear that I missed it again. The only way for me to get better than rank novice / incompetent would be to do many track days.

I would much much prefer a day driving on the beautiful country roads we have here in Virginia USA instead of spending days and days and $$$ trying to learn the fastest way around a specific course.

However, it was quite an interesting day that not many people have the opportunity to experience and I got some very cool pictures. I put the pictures in a "Gallery" here.
Off Topic for one post --always thought I wanted (should?) try a track day once and your post got me thinking about it again. Wasn't worried about crashes but primarily tire wear (being honest here) as (with 415 ponies, I would not baby this ride) if I did. After all, ~$1,600 for new rubber is an issue.

So, how much wear can I expect. Found this thread from 2015 and it convinced me that track day(s) were not for me.

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
20 Posts
Off Topic for one post --always thought I wanted (should?) try a track day once and your post got me thinking about it again. Wasn't worried about crashes but primarily tire wear (being honest here) as I would not baby this ride if I did. After all, ~$1,600 for new rubber is an issue.

So, how much wear can I expect. Found this thread from 2015 and it convinced me that track day(s) were not for me.
My tires were brand new for this event so I wasn't concerned.

Honestly, if you're concerned at all about tire wear the track is not the place for you. Make sure you have adequate tread and get out there; the pre-track day tech inspection that will invariably be required will let you know if it's an issue. If you go you're going to burn a bunch of it off. Watch your brakes pretty closely as well because you're going to be hard on them (which in turn is hard on your tires).

BTW cool Avro Arrow profile pic!

·
Founding Member 2006
109,714 Posts
Dang but that is a purty car
Parked outside gun range
Mine btw :D

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Vehicle Wheel

·
Administrator (Canada)
20,976 Posts
Love the '55. First car I can remember my parents owning back when I was a pup.

NOT an SLK though but I'll give you a pass this time 😉

Back on topic please: Show me a picture of your SLK (y)

·
*Registered
2008 SLK280
70 Posts
Love the '55. First car I can remember my parents owning back when I was a pup.

NOT an SLK though but I'll give you a pass this time 😉

Back on topic please: Show me a picture of your SLK (y)
At least now you know where the Grod moniker came from.

2861 - 2880 of 2917 Posts