Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· *Registered
2003 SLK32 AMG
427 Posts
My slk

Here's my SLK from a few years ago - not much different to today, really:

The only modifications I've had done are a hands-free kit for the Nokia 6310i, a set of 'Roadsterbag' fitted luggage and a Garmin SatNav on a fixed 'automotive' mount:​

Ceramicat quite likes travelling in one of the bags:​

:wink:​

· *Registered
2003 SLK32 AMG
427 Posts
That works out at 57.78 mph - in the UK you are generally allowed a tolerance of (10% + 2) mph, which would mean that, for a 80 kph zone, you would have been 1.1 mph over the UK tolerance....

91.22 kph would probably have been the trigger value if the Netherlands used the same tolerance.

But about 30-ish years ago when the Netherlands raised its speed limits to roughly the same as the rest of Europe, wasn't the agreement was that raising the limits would also mean doubling the fine for breaking them?

· *Registered
2003 SLK32 AMG
427 Posts
Badges, grille and side vent fins look good! But I'd leave the mirrors and spoiler body-coloured.

The SLC43 I drove last week looked good in blue, but the gloss black plastic bits and door mirrors looked really rather 'poverty-spec.'.

· *Registered
2003 SLK32 AMG
427 Posts
FOUR GENERATIONS OF AMG SLKs....

Last week several SLK World forumites gathered on a breezy hill top in Warwickshire for a photoshoot:

Photo by Craig Pusey for Mercedes Enthusiast magazine, for an article to be penned by Matt Robinson which will appear in the January 2017 edition, on sale from 16th December 2016 - reproduced here with the kind permission of Kyle Molyneux, the magazine's editor.

Clockwise from top left that's CHK3CRZ3 SNR (and son) with their R172 SLK55 AMG, russ55amg's brother with the SLC43 AMG, russ55amg with his R171 SLK55 AMG and me with my SLK32 AMG.

A fun day out - and thanks to Matt and Mercedes-Benz UK for the opportunity to have a brief drive in the SLC43 AMG...although I still think that it should be an SLK!​

· *Registered
2003 SLK32 AMG
427 Posts
Four generations of AMG SLK

On p79 of this month's Mercedes Enthusiast, in the 'NEXTMONTH' section the lead item concerns an article about 'Pocket Rockets - four generations of AMG SLKs compared'.

This follows the photoshoot we had a couple of months ago, when 3 forumites took an R170, R171 and R172 to a location in Warwickshire at the request of the magazine. An interesting day - including an opportunity to drive the new SLK43 AMG (M-B call it an 'SLC' :frown: )
The magazine should be on sale in the UK on 16th December - and should hopefully include quite a few pictures of us with our SLKs!

· *Registered
2003 SLK32 AMG
427 Posts
Mercedes enthusiast jan 2017

Just as I was leaving home this morning, the postie delivered the latest copy of Mercedes Enthusiast which includes the multi-page article on 4 generations of AMG SLK, 3 of which were provided by forumites and the fourth was the SLK 43 AMG. I haven't had time to look at it yet, but a quick skim shows it to be a good article.

There is also an acknowledgement for the assistance provided by SLK World!

· *Registered
2003 SLK32 AMG
427 Posts
mike350, is that Spitfire 6 a MkIV Spitfire with the straight six and bonnet from the GT6? Any other mods, such as rear suspension, brakes etc.?

The Spitfire 6 is the variant which Triumph should have made, but didn't. Just as an MGB convertible with the Rover V8 is the variant MG should have made - but didn't! I longed for either some 40 years ago, but could only afford an MG Midget!

How does the performance of the Spitfire 6 compare with an SLK? SAH used to do a tuned exhaust and triple 40DCOE mod for the GT6 - no doubt that would help your Spitfire 6 to fly!

· *Registered
2003 SLK32 AMG
427 Posts
Hei moutine! Good to see that you're more interested in driving that beast rather than endlessly polishing it!

Can't remember when I last took my SLK32 AMG to the car wash...

I might take it over this week though; on my way home from London Airport on Thursday afternoon, the SatNav showed a 45 min delay on the M40 / A40 around Oxford - so I took my normal back road detour via Wheatley, Worminghall, Stanton St John, Islip, Bletchingdon, Enslow and Bladon. About 10 miles longer than than the M40/A40 - but normally fun in my little zoom machine...
...except that there was a road closure in Stanton St John and someone had pinched the diversion sign. So after a muddy 180 turn in the village I found myself exploring the remoter parts of Otmoor keeping an ear out for the sound of duelling banjos until I finally stumbled on the diversion at Horton cum Studley. So the car is rather mucky right now!

· *Registered
2003 SLK32 AMG
427 Posts
Just turned 18 - and still giving me many, many smiles per gallon:

LOTS of money spent last year on new tyres, front and rear brake discs and pads, rust removal and paintwork, alloy refurbs....but thanks to COVID-19 and the nationwide lockdown, I've only been able to drive 520 miles in the last 12 months.....

Number plates are rather shabby though and the 'EU GB' marks aren't recognised outside the UK, so I'll be getting a new set with 'union flag GB' marks next week.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts