Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I responded to a craigslist ad in my area for a 1998 slk230 with 37k miles for $6999. I went to check out the car and everything worked well and it drove fine, but when I did the carfax check it showed up that the title is a branded NAM title meaning not actual mileage due to the odometer either breaking, being replaced, or tampered with. I talked him down to $6k and then said I would come back later tonight to give it one last look over before buying it. Here is the carfax and a picture of it. I just wanted to get your guys opinion on what I should do.

http://www.carfax.com/viewEmailReport.do?a=SlQdrd/hp2gTNxTs5y2iy5IhwTQoQuQvTtxiDe8z8HjcU3xPPmzKZw==&language=en#

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,266 Posts
Datacard for you!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,048 Posts
I'd call a dealership and see what they can do for you as far as records on the odo work. And definitely have a pre-purchase inspection. Does the roof work OK, and is the paint and interior in good shape?

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
True story..

When I purchased my slk, my uncle [who flips cars] says to me "when you're ready to sell it let me know, I have a guy for $250 he can change your mileage". :|

Just remember, 37K miles could mean 137k miles. Be prepared to do a lot of maintenance to the vehicle. Also run the vin through the local MB dealership to see if any service records/mileage history is available. That's a good price if you have $10k set aside for repairs and overdue maintenance, and just remember you're going to be the owner of that mileage discrepancy if you decide to sell it. Just document everything if you move forward.

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,664 Posts
Car may be 98 model but it was registered in 97.

Although it looks clean from the 1 photo it could easily have 225000 miles on it!

Even for an slk thats getting on a bit!

In the uk the car would be worth around $1500.

If you have $6000 I suspect it would be cheaper to buy a left hooker in Germany and ship it over!!!

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
12/03/1997 20 Illinois
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Plainfield, IL
Title #T7337631041 Title issued or updated
First owner reported
Titled or registered as
personal vehicle 06/28/1999 6,032 Illinois
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Plainfield, IL
Title #T9179793025 Title issued or updated
Duplicate title issued
Loan or lien reported 05/04/2000 9,000 Illinois
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Schaumburg, IL
Title #T0125114050 NOT ACTUAL MILEAGE TITLE ISSUED CARFAX Advisor™
A NAM title is issued when the owner discloses to a DMV mileage fraud, a broken odometer or that the actual mileage of this vehicle is unknown.

Mileage reported after this reading is potentially unreliable.

If I am reading this right the mileage was disputed on 5/4/2000 if that is the case how many miles could he have put on it in one year. He had only put 6,000 in the first 1 1/2 years. and then you said he had 37,000 on it now. Like Chicky said you have to live with the bad mileage when you go to sell it. What does the interior look like that tells a lot about the miles on the car, carpet, sets, ect. You use to could tell by the brake peddle buy on the SLK's they at steel. $6,000 sounds like a good deal, if the top works good that $1,000 to have repaired. Unless you are a DYI. Good luck.:tu:

Or did I read that wrong that was the last good reading???

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The top works, everything looks really good, drives well, nothing is not working. From 97-2000 the original owner only put on 9000 miles. They were the owners until 2009, so it seems like the car was not used that often. Its a hard decision, for the price it seems like a good deal.

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,713 Posts
I would NEVER purchase any vehicle with NAM on the CarFax. :td:

·
Registered
287 Posts
If the car looks good, everything works, and runs well $6k is a decent price even if it has 137K. Be prepared to spend some money on it, just in case.........

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,414 Posts
Are you buying direct from second owner? What miles was on it at his purchase and how does that compare. If the first owner drove 3000 or less per year using the first three years average than it should had around 33,000 on it at his purchase leaving him 4000 over the next four years. Looks like the car might have been parked for several years as there are missing years on the Registration or Il does not require yearly registration. Big think like someone else said at the time you miss to sell you could have other also question the miles if the look at car fax.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I just went ahead and bought it, it was a great deal, everything works flawlessly, the engine sounds and performs great, the roof works, all the electronics work, and the price was right for me. There is an exclamation mark though in the triangle where the MPG gauge is, can someone let me know what that means?

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
Congratulations! I was just gonna post to buy it! $6000.00? Even if you have to put another $6-$8k into it, what a fun toy for a reasonable amount of money. Hopefully you have found a gem that will easily return $6000.00 worth of fun.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
The Triangle with the exclamation mark is the ESP indicator. It will flash when the ESP system is active.

ESP= Electronic Stability Program

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Triangle with the exclamation mark is the ESP indicator. It will flash when the ESP system is active.

ESP= Electronic Stability Program
Oh okay, now that its dark I noticed its not lit up, it just always has the exclamation mark in there and it will ilght up if there is a problem, so no problem lights at all!!

I also hooked up my bluetooth OBDII sensor and there were no fault codes on the cars computer, so I think I got a pretty nice deal. I will still bring it to my mechanic to do the full 127 point inspection, but yeah, pretty stoked.

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,664 Posts
When the bug bites it bites hard. :)

Congrats on your acquisition!

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
I remember seeing somewhere on the board that you only have to change the oil on these every 10,000 miles. Is that true?
I can't speak for your model year, but on current models 10K or 1 year, which ever comes first for an oil change.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.