Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm hoping to be an official SLK owner soon but wanted to join up to learn more about the SLK vehicle before I sign the papers!

I am looking at an SLK230 1998 model with 92,000km. The car is in a pretty good condition and was told the previous owner drove it as a coupe. As it's an older car, I'm just worried about the potential $$ costs if I need to repair electrics and parts.

Can any of you SLK experienced owners let me know of any faults/issues that I should expect when purchasing a 1998 model? Apart from the hydraulics are there any things that I should check before I buy? Are there any particular things I should get checked by a mechanic first? Any help would be really appreciated, I really want to get this car but don't want to get myself in trouble later on..

Thank you! :burnout:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi, Roar, and welcome to this forum. I cannot speak about a 230; however, I would encourage you to visit this thread on the forum: SLK 230 Inspection Checklist. This is a real asset preceeding any auto purchase. Since you are new to this site, perhaps you need some guidance in finding this discussion. Near the top of the home page you will see several options highlighted in black. Toward the right side you will see "Search". Click on that and then type in "SLK 230 Inspection Checklist" and look for the thread application. This should bring it up for you. Be sure and read all the posts since each has a contribution to make. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Welcome from Blighty.... :)

JB will no doubt be along soon to welcome you to the forum and give seom friendly instructions on how to get the best out of this place...

The 230 is an R170. I suggest you have a look around that section for threads that are of interest..

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Welcome from NE England. The roof hydraulics are not that expensive to fix if you're happy doing it yourself. Depending what country you are from (i.e. do they use salt on the roads in winter), rust (especially around the rear wheel arches) can be a problem.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,325 Posts
Here I is!!!!

Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location/vehicle (when you get one) (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on your location and model and year.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘vehicle’ and ‘location’.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

Thank you,
Jeff
Sergeant-at-Arms

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys are awesome, thank you! I'll check out that SLK230 R170 checklist now. I've made a few phone calls this morning to my trusted mechanic who said he'll do a full check on the car for me before I buy so I'll keep you guys in the loop.

Thanks from down under! (ie. Australia)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Might I say, I feel much more confident in getting the SLK now that I know I can turn to this forum for advice on things that may come up! Have printed out that checklist and will go through it thoroughly, thanks guys!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Welcome from Malaysia:Beer:
Fellow sifu on board: Am I wrong to say that a small minority of supercharged Merc manufactured prior to yr 2004 were plaqued by electronic gremlin? Please advise, thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Welcome from Los Angeles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just bought my SLK230 R170! And I got it in red so I'm joining the other Red SLK'ers out there. Had the mechanic look at the car before I bought it and he noticed some issues which required fixing, the most important one was that the windows on both sides seem to put a lot of pressure on the door trims. They do not go smoothly up and down - you can see the windows shaking the whole door frame slightly (its only really noticeable in part sunlight/shade so you can see the wobbling of the door. The seem to push out the trims as they go up. My mechanic was worried that this would eventually put strain on the motors.. anyone experienced this before?

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
11,777 Posts
Welcome from Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts

·
Registered 1999 SLK230-sold
15,259 Posts
Welcome from Phoenix Az last Sept. i bought a 99 R 170 with 43k on the clock. The car had 3 owners. I had the motor/Engine mounts/ Tranny mount and all the fluids changed for $1100.00 My Mechanic checked the car out gave it a clean bill of health and since than my R170 is like a Swiss cock. No problems at all no $$$$ spend. Just happy miles

1 - 20 of 22 Posts