Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new member here, and I'm really a new be. I have never owner a Mercedes before, and don't know anything about them, but I'm looking at a 2003 SLK 320, with 75,000 miles on it. could someone advise me on what I should be looking for when I go to see and test drive it. Problem time is not on my side, I plan on looking at it tomorrow (Saturday) morning. Any advise would be great.
Thanks so much, Bob

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,313 Posts
Bob, moving your 1st post to the new member introduce yourself section to save you a step

http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/68666-new-used-vehicle-pickup-checklist.html

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location and vehicle (model and year,ie 2007 SLK 350)(Put Looking!) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Your profile is NOT updated in your ‘personal garage’.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a datacard (options on your car) free.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,740 Posts
Welcome and thanks for joining.

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.

Marykay
Florida Event Coordinator

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,415 Posts
Like any other used car you would buy. Make sure everything works correctly. Radio, top, windows, door locks, test drive is good and so forth. SLK are good cars but that simple thing not working can be very costly to fix. To many people have bought one with something not working to find out that they now have a major expense to fix.

·
Banned
46 Posts
This is what you need to do

Hi all, new member here, and I'm really a new be. I have never owner a Mercedes before, and don't know anything about them, but I'm looking at a 2003 SLK 320, with 75,000 miles on it. could someone advise me on what I should be looking for when I go to see and test drive it. Problem time is not on my side, I plan on looking at it tomorrow (Saturday) morning. Any advise would be great.
Thanks so much, Bob
Assuming it drives well, make sure the top functions smooth, the trunk stays open, all lights come on when key in last step before turning the engine and that all lights go off after the engine is on. Make sure the check engine light is on before the engine starts and goes off after that!!!
Check the engine for oil leaks. Make sure it stops with a hard pedal and very responsive. Make sure the steering is NOT “all over the place”. Take a look at the rev counter and make sure it is steady.
Make sure it was not in an accident; do a simple test yourself and also check the Carfax.
The simple test is to have the same distance between the hood and the fenders on both sides equal.
Take a look at the wheels; bent wheels are not a good sign, also scratched ones speak for poor driver skills and bad maintenance.
Take a look at the engine oil. It should NOT be black!!! And it should not smell very profound.
Put it in drive and then in rear; if the car shakes, that will point you to bad engine/transmission mounts. This is not severe but is a great bargaining point.
The front spoiler tends to get scratches underneath… Great bargaining point.
Make sure all the glass is branded with the Mercedes logo. If not, pay closer attention for accident marks and it is also a great bargaining point. Could be a rock while driving or a burglar for the side windows, but it is great to talk the price down.
Maintenance history!!! Very important if he asks top dollar. Condition of the tires. Take it to the freeway and pay attention for vibrations between 60 and 70 mi/h. could be out of balance or something wrong.
Look under the car and pay attention to the oil pan and transmission pan; there should be no oil…
Take a look at the lower side of the radiator; it should be dry.
Turn the AC on and make sure it blows cold; it would be great to have a thermometer and check the blower. You should get no more than 38 F with a single vent open.
Take a look at the condition of the serpentine belts. Check the doors for a correct closing.
Go with your hand over the paint and take closer look at spots which are not smooth. Touch-ups are a great bargaining point. Look for rock chips on the windscreen.
Have an OBD II scanner with you and scan it for fault codes
Print this out and take it point by point.
Good Luck and let us know how it went!

·
Banned
46 Posts
Welcome from NE England.

Woolly - Founder & Super Moderator.
Asking the "Founder and Super moderator": Why don't you provide any help, besides the welcome message?
Me as a simple user, do so with passion hoping to help the dude, but you as a founder don't... Just asking...
Same for all moderators and super-moderators and administrators...
People ask for some advice/help, instead you who are expected to know more than others provide "welcome to our site" messages. Did it ever cross your minds that it might be frustrating for someone asking for help to get this kind of answers and no help?
On the same topic, asking for people to cheer for the "winner of the month" is lame. Members will cheer if they feel like and not if they don't...
I don't mean to be rude, but the politics on this page went a wrong path, I believe...

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Asking the "Founder and Super moderator": Why don't you provide any help, besides the welcome message?
Me as a simple user, do so with passion hoping to help the dude, but you as a founder don't... Just asking...
Same for all moderators and super-moderators and administrators...
People ask for some advice/help, instead you who are expected to know more than others provide "welcome to our site" messages. Did it ever cross your minds that it might be frustrating for someone asking for help to get this kind of answers and no help?
On the same topic, asking for people to cheer for the "winner of the month" is lame. Members will cheer if they feel like and not if they don't...
I don't mean to be rude, but the politics on this page went a wrong path, I believe...
Again, if you notice, this sub-section of the forum is for new members to introduce themselves, hence the welcome message.

You will see from the numbers of "thanks" I get, a lot of members think I am generally helpful.

You have only been a member here a short time, and most of your posts are antagonistic.

We have run this forum fairly successfully for the last 8 years without your "help", and most people generally seem to like it the way it is.

If you don't like the way we operate, there is an easy option :)

·
Banned
46 Posts
Ban me if you don't like my posts or you find that I don't provide any help....
How many people do you know who paid to help others?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,313 Posts
One option is to use the 'ignore' feature of the forum and 'ignore' the posts of those that irritate. I will make use of it myself now.

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,024 Posts
It's pretty simple ..

We say hello in the New Users intro section, and answer Q's in the technical sections ... Makes things a lot easier to find when you're looking for stuff.

If the mods don't know the answer (we're only human) then someone else with experience (of the problem or a similar one) chimes in - it's a community - we all get along and help each other .. The search function is generally the best bet for new users as 'most\ things tend to have been covered at some point in the past....

You tend to find that that those that don't fit don't hang around too long as it's not for them ...

Reactions: Woolly and jbanks15

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK350 fastdawg
4,522 Posts
I'm just thrilled to be here! LOL Don't kick the DAWG!!!!!!!!

Ridgerunr, Welcome by the way, enjoy your time here, it's a great place to be! I've literally saved thousands here by the help! :) Sometimes it may take a few posts (in your thread) to get what you want, but eventually someone with knowledge either gives you what you need, or points you to the correct post (lots of things have already been covered at sometime, but someone!). As the mods with tell, search is your friend!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,405 Posts
Hi @Ridgerunr, and welcome from the UK Midlands!

It would be great to hear what you thought of the SLK 320 you were going to see and test drive :)

- Dave

1 - 19 of 19 Posts