Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI, been a while since I last posted. Just a little bit of iniformation somebody may find interesting.

1. SLK 230 R170. (Kompressor)Location was in Yosemite, California
2. shipped the car from Yosemite to Germany.
3. car was picked up in the middle of March. last year
3. Loaded on a transporter that took it to Boston.
4. was shipped and arrived at my doorstep. in Germany on the first of May

A. Costs:
1. you have to have the american VIN converted to a german/european VIN. This is accomplished at a local Mercedes dealership: around Euro 250 for the title
2. the vehicle must go thru a german inspection. The only thing that I had to do was replace the front headlights. They did not have the European E1 symbol on the glass and the parking lights can not be amber. About Euro 1000.00
3. The inspection with a new german title cost about Euro 78.00
4. being that the car was California standards, no problems with emissions and recevied a green 4 sticker. About 5 Euros
5. Shipping costs about $2600 from door to door. I would not recommend the shipping company (Blue Horizon), I had other issues (household goods)

There was no further costs entailed. I thought somebody might be interested.

Another fact, the R170, made in 2002, hade 50K miles on it. I let my wife drive and we were rear ended. damage was 7,500.00 Euros. The car was appraised and still had a value Euro 11,700.00 Euros (About $16,750.00). Considering it was purchased, in 2002, for $28,000 thats a good return.

The R170 loves it here, on the autobahn, and it is nice to see that it rides smoothly at 160MPH!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it has mph on the outside and km per hour on the inside, 260 kmph equals 162.5mph. According to speedometerR)
if someone is interested, I could send a pic, in the near future. The autobahn is made for speed (Short bursts) Gas mileage goes way down......:burnout:

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
I for one will take your word for it. Please don't try and take a picture of your speedometer while traveling 160 MPH on my account.

That said, I also had the same question as Carolina. Not bad for a 4 cylinder ! Is it supercharged? (kompressor)

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,233 Posts
I would think the 'governor'/limiter would not go higher than say 145 mph

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Believe me it will max out. I will try and have a friend (wife is too scared) to take a pic in the future. The governer only governs the rpm. (about 6000). The automatic shifts from fourth to 5th gear around 145mph.
And yes, it has a kompressor (supercharger)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shipping costs about $2600. I would not recommend the shipping company Blue Horizon. Lots of issues. It was not picked up at my house (as stated in the contract) and it looked like something was transported in it (which is illegal). You can only ship the car protective cover (in the trunk) and nothing else. I am still working with my lawyer about this. The battery was drained, after sitting for 6 weeks. It had road dirt on the car, they did not used the cover I gave them, at all. Other than that....:soap:

Distance was from Yosemite, Calif to Nuremburg, Germany. It was delivered to my doorstep. A pick pulled a trailer with my car on it. No protective cover put on it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The car had to be shipped from Yosemite to Boston that is at least a $1000 bucks, then put on a ship and shipped to a German port and transported inland to Nuremberg. I would have guessed about $2500. Shippers that I have used will not allow car covers on vehicles during transport due to possible paint damage by the cover rubbing on the paint. There are usually two types of shipping, Open or Closed transport. Closed transport is inside a car trailer (usually a semi-trailer truck) and Open is the typical car carrier that you see new cars on (or an open car trailer behind a pickup in some cases). Closed transport is a minimum of 50% more expensive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do not know what the duty is. It was an inheritance. My mother had passed away. Its a nice rememberance:eek:

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
oh...so sorry for your loss.

I am surprised the Germans didn't press duty on the assessed value anyway...the bloody Canadians would!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The put things in the proper perspective.
A month after my mother passed away, it was shipped.
German law allows you to ship goods up to 2 years after the date of death.
Inheritance in non-taxable in Germany and other countries.
:USRib:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.