Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,I've eventually got round to my slk r170 and it's not good (but I like a challenge ...not) so lots of welding needed the worst of which is the spare wheel tub . The car has at some point reversed over a stump took out the stretch bar mounting , although it's been repaired with fiberglass(badly) its caused the old steel cancer to take hold underneath . I'm planning to take the floor out of a donor shell and replace mine . Added bonus of having a few other areas I can template and use (small patches on both rear arches and a section of the front inner wing under battery)
My question is has anyone got any tips on the boot floor replacement. Also is it worth repairing the wing usual area front where it meets the bumper and both bottom corners by the sill.
9h and the rear quarters are quite good on the dome car if anyone needs them and wants to come cut them off , bit of surface rust but material is solid

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Also is it worth repairing the wing usual area front where it meets the bumper and both bottom corners by the sill.
If you're competent with a welder and can cut out the rust and replace with fresh metal then yes go for it, also helps if you have a compressor and you're competent with a spray gun, handy with the old filler etc. .. it's just your time, basically. Lots of how-to's on youtube.

Those wings were running at approx £240 each last time I looked so if you take it to a bodyshop for new wings, fitting and spraying you wont see a great deal of change (if any) out of £900

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So , got the engine started (all be it lumpy) no accelerator but it sounds spot on and the gearbox works too(what a bonus .
I decided my welding skills aren't up to the standard I need for the job so it's all loaded back onto the trailer ready to go for a trip to a guy who's work I've had a look at and hesca artist ,all beautiful seams and finnish (great prices too). Heres a few pics of the old girls rot before shes done.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
9h and the rear quarters are quite good on the dome car if anyone needs them and wants to come cut them off , bit of surface rust but material is solid
Do you still have the donor car - I have dug into the rear arches on my new R170 and the rear arches are both completely rotten, as is the rear sill cover plate on each side.

I would appreciate the opportunity to take some good metal from the donor body.

Fingers crossed !

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Do you still have the donor car - I have dug into the rear arches on my new R170 and the rear arches are both completely rotten, as is the rear sill cover plate on each side.

I would appreciate the opportunity to take some good metal from the donor body.

Fingers crossed !

@chopper_harris

If it's a winter project 320 that you're looking for, you might want to keep an eye on THIS ONE, if it stays in 3 figures it might well be a better option than the one you have

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I'd buy that for spare parts breaker but I don't have spare parking right now ;)

Same colour as mine too, bet there won't be one like it this time next year lol

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
I'd buy that for spare parts breaker but I don't have spare parking right now ;)

Same colour as mine too, bet there won't be one like it this time next year lol
I expect that to go well north of a grand, full s/h, not an unreasonable mileage and still in MOT. Needs work but it's really not that bad by the looks of it, the price has to rise but would be worth keeping an eye on ..

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Hi @M4rCu5 ,

There is an Obsidian Black 320 for sale in Wick, right up the top NE of Jockland, £800 has had it a while would likely take cash waved under his nose, he's about 4 hrs from my place lol but noooooo not yet, and being where it is it's likely a real rot box ;)

Cheers Dave

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Hi @M4rCu5 ,

There is an Obsidian Black 320 for sale in Wick, right up the top NE of Jockland, £800 has had it a while would likely take cash waved under his nose, he's about 4 hrs from my place lol but noooooo not yet, and being where it is it's likely a real rot box ;)

Cheers Dave
lol

It's sitting on £620 .. 2 days left .. eBay .. easy project for a man with time (and space) on his hands :surprise:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts