Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so it's been a while and that's because the car has been running perfectly!

Well, for a couple of months now, every time I pull up to a stop sign or a red light (basically, foot on brake while in drive) the car starts to shake. Not the "I'm running on 3 cyl" or"I'm starving for fuel" shake....I just don't know where to start?

I replaced the plugs and it's the same. Cleaned the MAF too... It accelerates beautifully and it runs perfect in neutral, so I know it's not the fuel filter. I've also found some threads about same symptoms and it turned out to be engine mounts, but again, I don't think that's it either cause once in a while, she doesn't shake at all while stopped! So if this were the mounts, it would be all the time, right? Is it one of the coils? Omg, help! :hail:

I just don't know where else to look or change? I hope somebody experienced the same problem and got it fixed?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,336 Posts
We missed you! will be in vegas May 4-7th

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The mounts appear fine....as I stated above, Its been going on for about 2-4 months and within that period, out of no where, the shaking stopped, but only for a day. That only happened only 2-3 times...so I can only guess, if those were the mounts, wouldn't the shaking never stop? I mean, once the mount(s) go, they go, they just cant fix themselves for a minute?

I dumped some injector cleaner couple weeks ago.....twice....still same

The AC is off....In the old days, I would probably go for a vacuum leak, but these days???? Just dont know....mannnnnnnnnn

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Bad mounts you can also sometimes feel in reverse. If yours are original, they are getting kind of long in the tooth.

Len

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
When it shakes with your foot on the brake with the A/C off, is the vehicle at operating temperature? What RPM does the shake occur?

I would tend to agree it may not be the fuel filter and/or fuel pump because of the variablity of the shake. I had an 1979 Mustang Pace Car (many years ago) that after it was tracked would shake at lights with variablity as you mentioned. Ended up selling it B4 moving to Mexico and never learned what caused the shake????

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bad mounts you can also sometimes feel in reverse. If yours are original, they are getting kind of long in the tooth.

Len

When I put it in neutral it stops...it shakes in drive or reverse....operating temp has nothing to do with it. What I mean by that, it doesnt effect it if I just started it or I've been driving for 3 hrs (just got back from a 280 mile trip) and still the same. Also the embient temp has no obvious effect on it either! What gives?!?!?!?!?!?!?:confused:

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
When I put it in neutral it stops...it shakes in drive or reverse....operating temp has nothing to do with it. What I mean by that, it doesnt effect it if I just started it or I've been driving for 3 hrs (just got back from a 280 mile trip) and still the same. Also the embient temp has no obvious effect on it either! What gives?!?!?!?!?!?!?:confused:
It shakes while in gear because its under a load.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
That's why I asked about the RPM..... Hopefully, a simple adjustment of idle RPM but the variability of the shake is puzzling ???

·
Registered
154 Posts
Still sounds like motor mounts to me. Visible inspection is very difficult unless you have a new one to compare. There might not be any visible leakage, but the mount can still be collapsed. Given it's a 2001, if the mounts have not been replaced I would do it just on age alone.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Correct.....

And ref the RPM....it's same in gear or neutral, around 600-700.....nothing outrageously low or high....

The car is 01 with barely 84,000 miles on....so you still think it might be the mounts??????

This is starting to really piss me off now guys....I need to get this thing sorted out, I'm planing on giving her to my daughter for her sixteen birthday in June so we still have some time to get this thing sorted out....

Should I take her to the dealer for just the diagnostic? I am more then capable of buying my own parts and replacing them....pin pointing the issue without the proper knowledge and tool, that's another thing

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Did you check the transmission mount?

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Correct.....

The car is 01 with barely 84,000 miles on....so you still think it might be the mounts??????

Should I take her to the dealer for just the diagnostic? I am more then capable of buying my own parts and replacing them....pin pointing the issue without the proper knowledge and tool, that's another thing
Eleven years old is more telling than 84K miles. If original, they are due to be changed. If it goes away in neutral, then it is almost certainly the mounts. Mercedes is offering a complimentary spring check and clean up for owners. If it makes you feel better, call your dealer and go in for the free look over and see what they find. Nothing wrong with mine, but I'm taking it in anyway for the pros to pick it apart and try to sell me services. I do all my own work and use checks like this to point me to things I may have missed.

Len

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you check the transmission mount?
I know what you're saying brother and I would've replaced all of them except it stops shaking once in a blue moon :tazz:

I would think it would never stop if the mounts were gone :confused:

But I will get to the bottom of this ....that's a promise!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
ok...update!!!

It's not fixed buttttttttttttttttt.....I threw an Engine Light today on the way to work!!!

Its a P0440....Evaporative emissions control system malfunction?????

Nevermind...I had my girl go get me some gas since I was running late and she didnt tighten the darn gas cap right!!!! Dang it....that's fixed but the shaking is still there....FYI:soap:

BTW....I gave in...ordered the left engine mount today!! What the heck...gotta start somewhere right?!?!?!?!?

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
ok...update!!!

It's not fixed buttttttttttttttttt.....I threw an Engine Light today on the way to work!!!

Its a P0440....Evaporative emissions control system malfunction?????

Nevermind...I had my girl go get me some gas since I was running late and she didnt tighten the darn gas cap right!!!! Dang it....that's fixed but the shaking is still there....FYI:soap:

BTW....I gave in...ordered the left engine mount today!! What the heck...gotta start somewhere right?!?!?!?!?
Hate to say it but you should replace both sides at the same time.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.