Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Settle argument: SLC 43 engine number

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  The Lazy Slug 
#1 ·
A know-it-all friend and MB/BMW buff keeps pooh-poohing the SLC 43 engine. He keeps saying it's the "same engine" as some other biturbo used in an older model SUV that did not have much more power than the regular engine, approx. 330 HP, yet cost about $10,000 more. That engine existed, I remember it. I've told him the SLC 43 has 362 HP to no avail for two months now, still brings that up. SO - is there an engine number for what he's thinking of and an SLC 43 engine number? They may be similar, but probably do have different official numbers or other designation I can use to stop him from saying that. Not a biggie but will save some aggravation. Thanks!

#2 ·
#4 ·
Reactions: SLKomatic
#5 ·
The DELA 35 @ 333 HP is probably what he was thinking of - I remember circa 330 HP. At the time, for another $10,000 or so, you only got about 20 more HP than the next model down - not a good buy. He called that engine "a dog" and no matter how many times I tell him, he still thinks the SLC 43 has 333 HP.

So what makes the SLC 43's engine different? Just tuning and add-ons? I guess he's right, it is the same basic engine, but yet another variant. Oh, well...

I test drove one, will comment when I have some time. I was really expecting more straight-line acceleration difference between it and my old 2012 SLK 350 - the old gal is still a stepper. Certainly nice, though. Transmission is a VERY noticeable step up, for openers. Thanks!

#9 ·
My MB AMG Tech tells me that the new biturbo V6 is a completely new engine design with the turbos engineered into the engine cast and not turbo "strap on's" ? That sounds like a major difference. But I just drive em! BobbyM
That settles that! Case closed. Thanks. Victory is mine.

On another point you can definitely help with, I noticed a lot of turbo lag. A little slow out of the hole compared to my SLK 350 (and my other car, also a twin turbo), it seemed, but I'm trying again Friday. My car will often squeal the tires without even trying, and it has the electronic rear end, unlike the 43 I drove. Try as I may, I couldn't get any scratch like in the videos - not even in a turn from a full stop in Sport 2. Is yours that way? How does yours compare to your old SLK off the line? My friend blamed traction control but that's BS as we know. Traction control would allow constant acceleration, not slow the car at first. I'll miss the holeshot, but of course it quickly makes up for it. Not a deal breaker.

Another point: when I test drove my 350 (w/electronic rear end) a year ago, I got the tail out twice without even trying - fun! Big selling point! I couldn't get the tail out on the 43 (w/o P30 option) even when I tried. Wassup? I'm thinking simple turbo lag.

Talking turkey on Friday. A local dealer is later having an "AMG GT R Launch Event." Free food and drink! Sorry for rambling.

#12 ·
Your friend is probably talking about the GL450 BlueEFFICIENCY which is a really slow SUV (and shares the same base engine). The SLC 43 also shares an engine with the GLE 450 SUV and C450 Sedan (going to be renamed C43 coming year).
It also shares the series 'name' with the C43 from the late 90s (which only had 302 hp).

Reactions: etyu
#13 ·
Went for another ride late today. I let the salesman drive so I would not anticipate the acceleration. By revving it up to 1800 in gear with the brake on, we got some low gear scratch, then all hell broke loose in about 100 ft. Nice. I think you feel it more as passenger. LOVE the sounds.

Found out the display has all kinds of modes like additional gauges and lateral g's and such. Vast improvement, really modern. Pointed out other features not on the web site as well. Funny they don't promote all that. Picked up a brochure but haven't looked at it yet. Dallas MBCA picnic tomorrow so I'll check it out out later.

Add it all up and looks like a go, foolish as it might be. Depends on price and trade-in, I guess.

#16 ·
Would totally agree about sport+ mode - the car is much faster. Mate has a 1/4 mile straight drive and we did runs in standard 'Comfort' mode and 'Sports+' reckon there was 20 mph difference between the 2, although, without the ABS working in Sports+ mode, I was a little more careful. The sound is also magnificent. Being a turbo driver all my life, rather than a V8 boy, I didn't notice any lag. If you lift, when running hard, you can hear the turbos winding down ever so slightly, but they spin up again fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.