Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I think this may be my first post, although I have been reading for a while. I'm in the hunt for a replacement car and the SLK AMG55 seems to fit the bill for my wants at the moment.

There is a 2005 for sale near to me that I'm interested to look at but I am wondering what I should expect from the service history. The car is a 2005 car with 38000 miles on it, which is low. Should I expect the car to have been serviced every year or are there wider service intervals for low mileage cars? I'm having difficulty finding a UK specific service book, I've found a US one but I don't know if it's the same.

Piers

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,304 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) - capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
New members and guests should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you,
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone?

I guess to be more specific I am going to look at a 2005 car that has done 38000 miles and wanted to know what I should expect from the service history and whether it is likely to need a large plug-out service soon or not.

Piers

·
Registered
47 Posts
Piers

Check the spark plugs have been changed at 5 years ( not always done ) and you have a transmission service coming up 40k or 45k from memory which is not cheap ( I did it my self but its not easy)

regards Chris ( not very far from you in East Grinstead)

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
Ask the owner to provide the Vehicle Master Inquiry from their MB dealer... It will show whether it's been serviced on schedule, or if it's had a history of repeat problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Piers

Check the spark plugs have been changed at 5 years ( not always done ) and you have a transmission service coming up 40k or 45k from memory which is not cheap ( I did it my self but its not easy)

regards Chris ( not very far from you in East Grinstead)
Thanks Chris - not having sat in or been driven in an SLK I'm still trying to persuade my self its the right thing to change to. I'm missing the power of the 964 Porsche I had but need to stick to auto and a convertible hence the hunt.

I presume the plugs are every 5 years from what you say but is the transmission service only mileage dependent or should it have been done by time in any case?

Ask the owner to provide the Vehicle Master Inquiry from their MB dealer... It will show whether it's been serviced on schedule, or if it's had a history of repeat problems.
Can anyone ask for this and if so what info do I need to make sure Mercedes give me the right info?

thanks again

Piers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heard from the dealer of the car I'm looking at, history as follows. Anything unusual?

7/8/07 8605 miles.
11/7/08 16192 miles.
1/7/09 24353 miles.
15/7/11 34270 miles

Spark plugs were changed in 2009, no info on discs and pads but I can check them out.
£1090 bill in 2011 at 35626 miles for air con condenser and wishbone kits.
Should I be concerned that the first service doesn't seem to have been for 2 years? And what are wishbone kits?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.