Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess this only lightly applies to SLKs, but many of us have MB sedans or SUVs as well. So......the MB service interval is 10K or 1 year, but every tire manufacturer I'm aware of has their warranty linked to a 5K rotation schedule. I do not think the MB warranty includes tires, so how does this square up? Seems like waiting for your 10K service automatically voids the tire warranty. Specific to SLKs....is the tire warranty void after the first 5K since rotation isn't an option? Thanks for any comments!

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
This from Michelin on rotating mileage;
2) The tires have been rotated and inspected by a participating Michelin®
tire retailer every 7,500 miles, and the attached Mounting and Rotation
Service Record has been fully completed and signed;

And Yokohama;
Recommended Tire Rotation

Front and rear tires perform differently and consequently YOKOHAMA recommends tire rotation to ensure even wear and lengthen tread life. In the absence of the vehicle manufacturer's instruction, YOKOHAMA recommends that its tires be rotated every 7,500 miles (12,000 km) for normal applications.

I'd suggest you contact the tire manufacturer. Also consider directional, inside/outside and staggered tire fitments. Some can't be rotated.

Reactions: Gregg

·
Registered
72 Posts
Unfortunately, one cannot rotate the tires on some MB vehicles. My 2008 S550 and my 2011 E550 Sport have different size tires between the front and back thereby precluding tire rotation. The S550 devoured tires. The E550 appears to be doing somewhat better.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
849 Posts
Michelin and Toyo and Goodyear all told me that if tire rotation was not possible I would still have to bring the car/tires in for "Inspection" at the prescribed time, I think this is just a way for tire manufacturer to claim a nice warranty that almost no one will use.

G.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
What's the consensus on rotating tires left to right - in our case, since most are unidirectional, this means dismounting and remounting the tires on opposite rims.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,442 Posts
unidirectional some can have left and riight side marking so you still can not move them from left to right. If not unidirectional or left and right marking you could do a rotation.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
In my case, the Conti DWS can be "rotated" from left-to-right/right-to-left because they are NOT directional tires, but marked "inside/outside". I contacted Conti and a local dealer to make sure this was ok to do. Now, I 'm not sure if this will lengthen the life of the tire, since I(we) do make left and right turns, but hey, it can't hurt.

If one has directional tires on their vehicle, make sure you have an agreement with the dealer that rotating the tires, removing from one wheel and re-mounting on another, is included in the purchase agreement. this way, the dealer won't charge for the service. If they want your business, they'll do it!

·
Registered
174 Posts
My SLK 350 had different sizes front and rear, so do not believe it would make a great difference overall by swapping left to right. I would rather have put the cost of rotation towards new tyres!

I once learned that in the UK the left side typically wears more because we drive clockwise around our roundabouts, stressing the left side a little more.

Now my E-class estate has the same type all round, but will wait for the annual service, which is 12 months or 15,500 miles, to ask for rotation.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
My SLK 350 had different sizes front and rear, so do not believe it would make a great difference overall by swapping left to right. I would rather have put the cost of rotation towards new tyres!

I once learned that in the UK the left side typically wears more because we drive clockwise around our roundabouts, stressing the left side a little more.
Then wouldn't it make sense to rotate l-to-r/r-to-l to increase tire life?

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Then wouldn't it make sense to rotate l-to-r/r-to-l to increase tire life?
It does make sense, other than the tires have to be dismounted from the rim in the process unless the tires are non-directional. Most of the asymmetric design tyre seems to have "this side facing outward" moulded unto the side walls.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Oops, I should have included "with non-directional tires". Conti told me it was no problem with the DWS(which is marked inside/outside) to move the tires side-to-side, not having to dismount them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes, Galo, my Conti 3s were directional I think (I know they were asymmetric) so I anticipated a charge for the work of about half the price of one tyre, so not really economic, apart from the inconvenience. And not being a hooligan on roundabouts, doing mostly motorway/highway mileage, mine were all wearing evenly.

Incidentally, I did 14,000 miles on my rears and they were nearing replacement when I sold the SLK.

Where I do rotate is on a front drive car, like my wife's A Class, where the front tyres take a real caning, whereas the rears can last 50,000 miles, easily.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.