Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered 1997 SLK 230
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed elsewhere, but I was wondering if there was a definitive answer to how to reset the service indicator on an early R170?

this is on a 1997 SLK 230k

the handbook method doesn't work, and neither do any of the suggestions made elsewhere on this forum, but that's maybe because my car is pre this FSS thing?

I've tried a lot of times, various combinations, but I've never heard a beep, and it stays fixedly at -730... any suggestions would be very welcome!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,613 Posts
Paul, yes this was discussed recently and the fix was a matter of timing. Did you find the recent post on this?

http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-general-discussion/2653-fss-resetting-problems-help-please.html

Originally Posted by ftuhy View Post
I found one thing omitted in various threads on this topic, so here's how I successfully reset the FSS for Service A on our 2001 SLK320

1. The hood must be open, or at least unlatched
2. Get in the car and close the doors.
3. Wait for the dome light to go out. (Not sure this is necessary; I haven't tried to skip this step.)
4. Insert key and turn to position 2 -> idiot lights come on, engine not running
5. Push button 1 (trip odometer) twice quickly -> the time/distance remaining for FSS is shown.
6. Push and hold in button 1.
7. Turn ignition key back to off position, still holding button 1 in.
8. Turn key back to position 2 while still holding button 1 in.
9. Continue holding button 1 in; within 10 seconds you'll hear a beep and 10000 will be displayed again.
10. You can now release button 1. FSS has been reset.

I went crazy following steps 2 - 9 with no success, then decided to open the hood (step 1) and repeat the process. Finally, success!!!

Frank
The hood part did it. I did everything by the manual, which does not mention raising the hood. Worked 1st try , Thanks Frank

·
Registered 1997 SLK 230
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that

yes, I have seen those instructions, but they don't seem to work for me, which is why I was querying if my car is earlier and these instructions don't apply...

okay... I'll have another go tomorrow, and I admit I haven't tried it with the roof open... which just seems bizarre!

·
96,613 Posts
and spin around 3 times!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Turn key to position 2.
Within 4 seconds press button 1 twice.
The present status for days or distance is displayed. Within 10 seconds turn key in steering lock to position 0.
Press and hold button 1, while turning key in steering lock to position 2 again. The present status for days or distance is displayed once more. Continue to hold button 1.*After*approximately*10 seconds a signal sounds, and the display shows 10,000 miles for approximately 10 seconds.
Release button 1.
---------
Worked for me!
Thanks fourm

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,553 Posts
Himecraig,

Welcome to SLKWorld.com, the elite Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum!

Here are just a few easy instructions to make your membership a fun and productive experience:

Also, it's a good idea to post an introduction in the "New Members Introduce Yourself Here" section, if you haven’t already. Members will want to welcome you to the forum and help with any questions you may have.
The "Search" feature at the top right of the page is for searching the forum. Many questions have already been asked and answered by our knowledgeable members.

Private Message (pm) is a tool to communicate with other members privately for instructions or just chatting. In order to do this you must have at least 15 posts. It's easy to obtain the posts by clicking on the "New Members Introduce Yourself Here" section and just welcome the new members (like we welcomed you).

As a member you have the privilege to vote and/or enter our Ride of the Month competition, we welcome new SLKs to compete and new members to vote. http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a datacard (options on your car). http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/

If you have any questions/comments please let us know and we will be happy to help you.

Thanks for joining our SLK family!

Marykay
Florida Event Coordinator

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,514 Posts
This is from a 1998 owners manual.

1. Turn key in steering lock to position 1.
2. Press button (1) & hold.
3. Turn key to in steering lock to position 2.
After approx. 10 seconds a signal sounds, & the display shows 7,500 miles
(Canada 12,000 km).
4. Release button (1)

·
Registered 1997 SLK 230
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh dear... I've tried everything, nothing works!

I've tried all the instructions I can find, from the handbook to your instructions here, roof open, roof closed, bonnet (hood) open and closed, tried the spinning around thing, summoned the Force... no beep, no reset.

fundamentally, when the service interval is showing, holding down the trip button, I count to about 8 (of the 10 seconds) before it reverts to the mileage and trip display

I guess there's a way to do this if you buy one of these code reader things, though I don't know where you plug one in, or which one would work - any suggestions?

(might add, this is NOT the end of the world - if I had to choose between this and the roof not opening, I know which one I'd pick!)

·
Registered 1997 SLK 230
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Further info on this topic:

I'm feeling a little stupid that I haven't noticed this before, but...

I've not had the car long, and I haven't done many miles in it yet... and I know that for the year prior to me getting ownership of it, it was off the road

so... it hasn't been serviced for over two years, though in mileage terms it's only done about 8,000 miles since that last service

I'm looking at the service indicator, and it says "-730", so I'm thinking that this means it's 730 miles overdue

BUT, I've also now noticed it isn't increasing... at all... and there's a little clock visible in the display too - doh!

so... 730, hmmm, that's 2 times 365, right? aha... is it therefore telling me the number of days the service is overdue? (the previous service was not done by and MB dealer, so the indicator may not have been reset then)

is the fact that I seem to have reached the limit of the car's patience when it comes to getting serviced anything to do with the why I can't reset it, perhaps? Is it so upset with me it's just not willing to be reasoned with?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Turn key to position 2.
Within 4 seconds press button 1 twice.
The present status for days or distance is displayed. Within 10 seconds turn key in steering lock to position 0.
Press and hold button 1, while turning key in steering lock to position 2 again. The present status for days or distance is displayed once more. Continue to hold button 1.*After*approximately*10 seconds a signal sounds, and the display shows 10,000 miles for approximately 10 seconds.
Release button 1.
---------
Worked for me!
Thanks fourm
Worked for me also! Thank you.

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
427 Posts
Like JBanks said, timing is everything with this reset. I posted this before but now it's gone so here it is again.
To reset it turn key to position 2 and immediately press the trip mileage button twice within 1 second; then within 10seconds turn the key to 0; press the button again and hold it in and turn key to position 2 after10seconds a beep will sound release the button. That should do it. To press the button 2x within 1 second is difficult. It'll take a little practice.

I am pretty sure this is correct, but I AM sure of the push twice within 1 second. Too many ways to reset it has me confused now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
After countless attempts at resetting the service reminder the way the post recommended it finally worked! The key to success was pushing the button twice REAL fast! Probably less than a second apart.

·
96,613 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.